Subject: [AVTCORE] Protocol Action: 'Multiplexing Scheme Updates for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (SRTP) Extension for Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-avtcore-rfc5764-mux-fixes-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 15:36:14 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multiplexing Scheme Updates for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol
   (SRTP) Extension for Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS)'
  (draft-ietf-avtcore-rfc5764-mux-fixes-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-rfc5764-mux-fixes/

Technical Summary

   This document defines how Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS),
   Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP), RTP Control Protocol (RTCP),
   Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN), Traversal Using Relays
   around NAT (TURN), and ZRTP packets are multiplexed on a single
   receiving socket.  It overrides the guidance from RFC 5764 ("SRTP
   Extension for DTLS"), which suffered from four issues described and
   fixed in this document.

Working Group Summary

  There has been good consensus in the AVTCORE WG. However, due 
  to potential impact on the other protocols (TLS and STUN/TURN), 
  this document was also last called in TLS and TRAM WG. This 
  resulted in some changes to ensure the solution was mutually 
  acceptable. 

Document Quality

  There are not yet any known implementations of this fix. The 
  document has been well reviewed and last called in several WG
  to ensure that the protocol impacts was acceptable by the 
  different main responsible WGs. 

Personnel

  Magnus Westerlund is the Document Shepherd. Ben Campbell is the 
  Responsible Area Director.