Subject: [AVTCORE] Proposed charter for merger of AVTCORE and AVTEXT into AVT

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 10:42:49 +0100

WGs,

Below you find the chairs and ADs proposal for an AVT WG charter, 
covering the work currently done by AVTCORE and AVTEXT WG. If you have 
any issues, suggestions or other proposals, please provide them no later 
than the 14th of February.

Charter text
------------

The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) along with its associated 
profiles and payload formats provides for real-time transmission of 
audio and video over unicast and multicast transports. RTP is widely 
implemented, and deployed for a wide range of applications, ranging from 
telephony to television over IP. RTP itself has been shepherded to Full 
Standard. Its associated profiles, extensions, and payload formats are 
currently at various levels of standards maturity. As new applications 
have emerged, the need for guidelines for the use of the RTP/RTCP 
protocols and extensions specific to those applications has been identified.

The AVT working group is chartered to maintain the core RTP/RTCP 
specifications and the AVP, SAVP, AVPF, and SAVPF profiles. The group 
will provide architectural guidance for extending the protocols and 
guidelines for their proper use. While other working groups are 
chartered to work on RTCP Extended Report Extensions (XRBLOCK) and RTP 
Payload Formats (PAYLOAD), extensions that are generally applicable will 
be developed in AVT. The AVT working group is also charted to develop 
application-specific guidelines for the use of RTP/RTCP protocols with 
the AVP, SAVP, AVPF, and SAVPF profiles, and extensions to those 
protocols that are driven by application-specific needs.

The AVT working group will coordinate closely with the Security Area 
while working on maintenance and enhancements to the SRTP Profile (SAVP).

---- End of Charter Text

Milestone that exist in either of the groups will be moved to the AVT WG.

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Services, Media and Network features, Ericsson Research EAB/TXM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                 | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                 | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------