Subject: [AVTCORE] RFC 8861 on Sending Multiple RTP Streams in a Single RTP Session: Grouping RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Reception Statistics and Other Feedback

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 16:46:30 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8861

        Title:      Sending Multiple RTP Streams in a Single 
                    RTP Session: Grouping RTP Control Protocol (RTCP)
                    Reception Statistics and Other Feedback
        Author:     J. Lennox,
                    M. Westerlund,
                    Q. Wu,
                    C. Perkins
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-multi-stream-optimisation-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8861

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8861

RTP allows multiple RTP streams to be sent in a single session but
requires each Synchronization Source (SSRC) to send RTP Control
Protocol (RTCP) reception quality reports for every other SSRC
visible in the session. This causes the number of RTCP reception
reports to grow with the number of SSRCs, rather than the number of
endpoints. In many cases, most of these RTCP reception reports are
unnecessary, since all SSRCs of an endpoint are normally co-located
and see the same reception quality. This memo defines a Reporting
Group extension to RTCP to reduce the reporting overhead in such
scenarios.

This document is a product of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC