Subject: [babel] I-D Action: draft-ietf-babel-hmac-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:42:09 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Babel routing protocol WG of the IETF.

        Title           : HMAC authentication for the Babel routing protocol
        Authors         : Clara Do
                          Weronika Kolodziejak
                          Juliusz Chroboczek
	Filename        : draft-ietf-babel-hmac-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2018-11-14

Abstract:
   This document describes a cryptographic authentication for the Babel
   routing protocol that has provisions for replay avoidance.  This
   document updates RFC 6126bis and obsoletes RFC 7298.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-babel-hmac/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-babel-hmac-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-babel-hmac-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-babel-hmac-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 17:59:08 +0100

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-babel-hmac-01

Dear all,

Weronika and I have spent most of the afternoon writing the Security
Considerations section that has been added in this revision.  We'll be
grateful for a review.

Thanks,

-- Juliusz

---

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:18:33 -0800

One thing: This sentence in the security considerations is odd:

> The scope of this protocol is strictly limited: it only provides
> authentication, on the assumption that routing information is not
> confidential, only symmetric keying, and only allows for the use of a
> small number of symmetric keys on each link.

The "on the assumption that routing information is not confidential" bit
breaks up the flow; suggest revising :)

-Toke