Subject: [babel] New Version Notification for draft-bastian-babel-v4ov6-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 08:35:07 -0700

A new version of I-D, draft-bastian-babel-v4ov6-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Theophile Bastian and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-bastian-babel-v4ov6
Revision:	00
Title:		Announcing IPv4 routes with an IPv6 next-hop in the Babel routing protocol
Document date:	2020-05-08
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		7
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bastian-babel-v4ov6-00.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bastian-babel-v4ov6/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bastian-babel-v4ov6-00
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-bastian-babel-v4ov6

Abstract:
   This document defines an extension to the Babel routing protocol that
   allows annoncing routes to an IPv4 prefix with an IPv6 next-hop,
   which makes it possible for IPv4 traffic to flow through interfaces
   that have not been assigned an IPv4 address.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 21:14:50 +0200

> Title: Announcing IPv4 routes with an IPv6 next-hop in the Babel routing protocol

This is implemented in

  https://github.com/tobast/babeld branch tobast/v6tethered-reimplem

We're currently using AE number 4.  Since 6126bis did not establish an AE
registry, we're not sure how to request an AE from IANA.

Please advise how to proceed, and whether we're welcome to deploy with AE
number 4.

-- Juliusz

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 23:21:20 -0400

Hi,

> registry, we're not sure how to request an AE from IANA.

Well, when I look at draft-ietf-babel-rfc6126bis-17, it does appear to
create an IANA registry for AE values. So, as soon as it's fully approved
by the IESG and released to the RFC Editor, the registry will get created.

> Please advise how to proceed, and whether we're welcome to deploy with AE

There is no ideal path in current situation. I suggest tweaking the v4ov6
draft "IANA Considerations" section so the one sentence there reads as
follows:

IANA is requested to allocate a value [4 suggested] in the "Babel Address
Encodings" registry as follows:

It seems unlikely anyone else is going to swoop in and start using this
value and there are no "private" or "experimental" code points provided so,
although it is not quite proper, you need to use something in an
implementation and you might as well use 4.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 [email-masked]

> -- Juliusz
>
> _______________________________________________
> babel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/babel