Subject: [BXXPwg] A couple of questions

From: "Manros, Carl-Uno B" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:56:13 -0800

Hi,

I followed some the initial work on BEEP, but later got busy with too many
other things.

I am now trying to catch up and have just eyed through the latest drafts
dated January 4 and as result I have a few comments and questions:

1) The documents start looking pretty good and I assume that you are soon
getting ready to submit them to the IESG. Is this a correct understanding of
where you are?

2) In was told earlier on that actual code was being written in parallel to
the specs. Is any of that code available as open source or are there any
plans to make that happen?

3) I can't find anything mentioned about a default port or URL scheme to go
with BEEP. Is that by design and would port numbers and URL schemes be
defined by the applications that sit on top of BEEP?

Thankful for any clarifications on these questions,

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Manager, Print Services
Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
701 S. Aviation Blvd., El Segundo, CA, M/S: ESAE-231
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: [email-masked] 

_______________________________________________
BXXPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.invisible.net/mailman/listinfo/bxxpwg

---

From: Gabe Wachob <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:12:55 -0500

> plans to make that happen?

The PyBXXP (Python implementation) is open source and is available at bxxp.org.
If you are a python person, I would appreciate any help you can give.

> defined by the applications that sit on top of BEEP?

It would seem to me that a bxxp well-known port number should be defined, unless 
there is a requirement be  passed "up" to all applications on top of beep that 
a port must be part of the URL for the bxxp peer. I don't think requiring
a port number is a good thing.  

Since (as I understand it), specific channel numbers are *not* assigned to 
specific applications (unlike port numbers), that the only thing an application
would need to specify is an endpoint for a bxxp peer (endpoint being ip address
and port).  But this is part of the TCP Mapping, I'm guessing, which I haven't 
looked at in detail very recently.

To restate:
In the modal case, an app that works on top of BXXP only requires a IP address 
(in the TCP Mapping) to specify a peer. Authentication and TLS may have further 
naming requirements for specifying the peer endpoint.

Is this right?

	-Gabe

---

From: "Marshall T. Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:44:08 -0800

> getting ready to submit them to the IESG. Is this a correct understanding
of

the IESG is completing their review at present.

> defined by the applications that sit on top of BEEP?

when you define an application protocol using BEEP, you define how to
determine the port number. take a look at the last paragraph in Section 2 of
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-reliable-02.txt for
an example.

/mtr

ps: that might be "-03" by the time you read this message.