Subject: [BXXPwg] BEEP Question

From: "Ander, Dale" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:58:46 -0500

Hello,

I have an application in mind that would utilize BEEP but I'm having a hard
time getting started.  I read RFC 3080 fairly closely (but not 3081), have
downloaded the Java implementation of BEEP (0.9.06), and even managed to
compile Beepd and Bing (but wasn't sure how to use/run them to prove
anything).  What should I do to both test Beepd and Bing and to get going
with my own application idea?

FYI I'm wanting to use BEEP to move data thru a firewall.  I want to be able
to set up a secure connection from the secure part of my network into a
"DMZ" (screened subnet) and pull the data that is sent there via HTTP
requests into the secure part of my network.  I'd be taking advantage of the
ability of BEEP to both multiplex multiple channels over one session (I'd
use a different channel for the data associated with each different HTTP
request) and it's ability to set up a secure connection (I wouldn't want
hackers to be able to sniff the data as it's being transferred from the DMZ
into the secure part of my network) and this application would not require a
firewall administrator to open up the firewall for connections originating
in the DMZ into the secure part of the network (the reverse is already
possible - i.e. I'm able to initiate a connection from the secure part of
the network into the DMZ).

Are there any books/tutorials/web sites/consultants that could help me or do
I just need to start reading the Java source codes that I've downloaded?

Any help would be much appreciated.  I'm looking for any jump start I can
get.  :-)

Thanks,
Dale

Dale Ander
Senior Software Architect
Sterling Commerce, Inc.
Research and Advanced Technology Group
[email-masked]
(469) 524-2603

_______________________________________________
BXXPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.invisible.net/mailman/listinfo/bxxpwg

---

From: Gabe Wachob <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:59:47 -0700 (PDT)

Dale-
	Your application is a great one for BEEP.

	I'm not aware of anything particularly useful for you out there -
most of the info about BEEP is stuck in people's heads or on beepcore.org,
or captured in the archives of this list.

	That being said, there are some consultants out there who would be
able to help - myself in particular. Please email me at your convenience.

	Finally, if you are so inclined, I've also registered an IRC
channel called #beepnik on irc.openprojects.net where you can find me much
of the time if you want to chat directly. I'm GabeW there, and some of the
I-W developers are there as well.

	To answer your beepd/bing question, I think you want to get the
distro (I work out of cvs code, so I'm not sure if the directory structure
is the same), build everything, add the jars (core, sasl, tls) to the
classpath and then run:

[BEEP SERVER]
java org.beepcore.beep.example.Beepd -config beepd-config.xml
(that xml file is in the distro somewhere)

[BEEP PING CLIENT] - in another shell
java org.beepcore.beep.example.Bing localhost

There are some command line options for the beep ping client as well.

Hope this gets you started!!

	-Gabe