Subject: [BEEPwg] new commercial-grade BEEP implementation now available

From: Jered Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Mar 2002 09:03:46 -0500

Permabit is pleased to introduce PermaBEEP for Java, a commercial-grade
implementation of the Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP). PermaBEEP
is a toolkit that speeds and simplifies development of applications that
depend on network communications.

[Features]

CONFORMANCE: PermaBEEP provides a full implementation of the BEEP
specification and complies with all applicable standards.

PERFORMANCE: PermaBEEP is designed for efficiency, avoiding unnecessary
memory copies and object instantiation.

SCALABILITY: PermaBEEP supports non-blocking extensions to the Java I/O
model (this predates the JDK 1.4 java.nio framework) to support hundreds of
active BEEP channels without a large number of threads.

COMPLETENESS: PermaBEEP simplifies payload handling with its full-featured
MIME parsing and composition tools, along with a lightweight parser for the
"application/beep+xml" MIME type XML subset.

More details are available in the on-line documentation and release notes.

[Availability]

Please visit http://www.permabit.com/permabeep/ to download the software.

Version 0.8 of PermaBEEP for Java has been well tested but under limited
conditions. We encourage you to report any problems encountered when testing
in your development environment. Note that some planned features have not
yet been implemented and that some interfaces may be changed in subsequent
releases.

Additional information is available on the PermaBEEP project pages at
http://www.permabit.com/permabeep/.

[Licensing]

PermaBEEP is available under two licenses, one for open source applications
and the other for proprietary commercial applications. The open source
license is similar to that of the Sleepycat Berkeley DB software, permitting
use of PermaBEEP at no charge only in compatible open source applications.
For all other applications, please contact [email-masked] to obtain
licensing terms and pricing.

[Acknowledgements]

Permabit extends its thanks to the BEEP Community, and in particular to Dr.
Marshall T. Rose, for designing BEEP and championing it as a standards-track
protocol.

Permabit also thanks Huston Franklin and other Invisible Worlders for
developing beepcore-java, which brought us far enough into BEEP that we
decided to write a new implementation.

[About Permabit]

Permabit, an innovative developer of networked storage software, offers a
distributed data repository that economically blends security, scalability,
and reliability, uniquely addressing a wide range of applications. A
privately held company, Permabit is based in Cambridge Massachusetts.
Permabit and PermaBEEP are trademarks of Permabit, Inc. All other trademarks
are property of their respective owners. For more information, please
contact Bob Condon at +1 617-252-9600 or visit our web site,
www.permabit.com.

_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.beepcore.org/mailman/listinfo/beepwg