Subject: [BEEPwg] [ANN] New Vortex Library release is ready!

From: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:52:41 +0100

##########################################
       ## Vortex Library 0.8.7 Stable Release  ##
       ##########################################

Release note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce the Vortex
  Library 0.8.7 availability: an open source "BEEP Core" protocol
  implementation written in C, mapped into TCP/IP.

  Vortex Library is a powerful toolkit to write new application
  protocols and application over the well-defined "BEEP Core" protocol
  defined at RFC3080/RFC3081. 

  Vortex Library has been developed inside the Af-Arch project as its
  data transport layer.

  Vortex Library is a stable and robust application protocol
  development toolkit. Currently it is running under Microsoft Windows
  and GNU/Linux platforms.

  Check out the following links to get ready with Vortex Library:

    - http://vortex.aspl.es 
      [Vortex Library homepage]

    - http://fact.aspl.es
      [Af-Arch homepage where Vortex Library is being developed]
   
    - http://www.beepcore.org
      [BEEP Core official web page]

The release in short
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  This new relase adds support for missing features such as:
  one-to-many full support, localize and features greetings attribute
  full support, BEEP peer role support and extended start channel
  handling.

  This release also comes to solve some errors found under heavy data
  transfer situations, having in that context, applications failing
  (or behaving badly) while receiving data from Vortex Library
  servers.

Changes since 0.8.6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* [new] adding a new enumerator to represent the connection role:
VortexPeerRole.

* [new] implemented new function vortex_connection_get_role which
allows to get current role for a given connection. API added was: 
 - vortex_connection_get_role

* [improve] adding initialization code for global variables inside the
vortex
sequencer code.

* [new] Added support for missing one-to-many message exchange style.
Added
  missing features and checkings at the vortex reader especially those
  designed for ANS and NUL frames. API added was:

  - vortex_channel_send_ans_rpy
  - vortex_channel_send_ans_rpyv
  - vortex_channel_finalize_ans_rpy

* [improve] Upgraded vortex sequencer to support the basic case of
  sending empty frames. Modifying vortex_frame_build_up_from_param
  function to support building empty frames. Updating vortex reader to
  support delivering and joining several ongoing ANS
  replies. Implemented additional checkings for NUL frames received,
  described at the RFC. Updating joing frame section code to simplify
  it.

* [new] adding new functions to vortex frame module:
    - vortex_frame_are_joinable
    - vortex_frame_are_equal

* [improve] updating vortex-client tool to allow receiving events from
  the remote peer such as frame received, close received. Added two
  new commands "log" and "color log" which enables vortex log. Added
  support to vortex-client to show current features and localize
  functions recevied from the remote peer.

* [new] adding a new server example which replies with one-to-many
  exchange styles. Added lot of documentation to explain how to use
  one-to-many message exchange under the Vortex Library.

* [new] adding support to configure the features and localize
  attributes for the initial greetings. Added new functions to vortex
  greetings module to support this new change (documentation also
  added):

   - vortex_greetings_set_features
   - vortex_greetings_get_features
   - vortex_greetings_set_localize
   - vortex_greetings_get_localize

* [bug fixed] making vortex sequencer to use the ansno value rather
  than a plain 0 as a fixed value.

* [bug fixed] fixing vortex_connection_close_all_channels function
  which is used directly by vortex_connection_close. This function was
  not releasing properly a mutex and, under some circumstances, the
  function was not clearly reporting the right channel closing status.

* [new] adding three new function: vortex_log_enable,
  vortex_color_log_enable and vortex_color_log_is_enabled. This
  enables an API which allows to manage console log.

* [bug fixed] making vortex listeners to *parse* greetings received.

* [new] adding a new function to vortex channel module:
  vortex_channel_new_full, which support all options available while
  creating channels: profile content, serverName, encoding.

* [improve] refactoring source for vortex_channel_new and
  vortex_channel_new_full to use the same version.

* [new] adding a new internal support function:
  __vortex_channel_build_start_message to support building start
  message according to values received: channel num, profile, profile
  content, serverName, encoding, etc.

* [new] added new type: VortexEncoding to support reporting which
  encoding is being used for the profile content data.

* [bug fixed] fixing wrong vortex_connection_ref and
  vortex_connection_unref aligment inside the vortex sequencer module,
  vortex channel module (invoke frame received code) and vortex
  profile module (invoke frame received code) which was causing to get
  the connection unrefered one time at some conection broken
  escenarios having data being delivered to application level.

* [bug fixed] fixing a bug at vortex_connection_ref. The function was
  checking if the connection to ref was ok but this is not required
  for the purpose of the function making to be unrefered the
  connection inside the code block holded by the ref/unref pair. Now
  the function ref and unref the connection only checking if the
  received connection is not null.

* [new] adding a new module to implement support function used across
  vortex library.  Currently it implements only vortex the function:
  vortex_support_free, which allows to perform several deallocation
  operations at the same time.

* [new] implemented RFC3080 required to automatically asign odd
  channel numbers for those connections in initiator role and even
  numbers for those acting as listener role.

* [new] adding support for an extended start message reception. Now it
  is posible to register an extended version for the start handler
  which allows to get access to all available options received on
  channel creation request. Previous code writed with the normal
  start handler keeps running. This is implemented throught a new
  function:

   vortex_profiles_register_extended_start

  which allows to register an extended start, which overrides the
  start handler defined.  Added more documentation explaining how to
  use the start handlers and how they interact.

* [improve] modified vortex_profile_is_start_defined to return if an
normal
  start or extended one is already defined.

* [improve] modified vortex_profile_invoke_start to invoke the
  extended start defined or the normal start handler if the previous
  wasn't being defined.

* [improve] adding some additional checks to vortex_hash_foreach
  function to avoid iterating over an empty hash.

About Us
~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is leading the Af-Arch project: a
  complete framework to develop distribuited application to manage
  enterprise process.

  Af-Arch project relies on Vortex Library to exchange data between
  its distribuited nodes.

  Advanced Software Production Line also provides GNU/Linux support
  and consulting services on how organization can introduce GNU/Linux
  inside its process, making other platforms to interact with
  GNU/Linux.

  You can reach us:
       http://www.aspl.es - [email-masked]

  We hope Vortex Library help you. Enjoy Vortex Library!
         
--
Francis Brosnan Blázquez           - [email-masked]
Advanced Software Production Line  - http://www.aspl.es
18th Nov 2005, Madrid (Spain)  

_______________________________________________
BEEPwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://drakken.dbc.mtview.ca.us/mailman/listinfo/beepwg