Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] {Spam?} [Fwd: ICE and v4v6NATs]

From: Rémi Després <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:43:26 +0100

marcelo bagnulo wrote :

> In the v6ops WG we are defining
the requirements for next generation

> v4 <-> v6 NATs.

In my understanding, NAT64 has been found necessary  for  IPv4
transport connections via IPv6 (the "v4v6v4" case).

As I explained during the v6ops meeting in Philadelphia, there exists
a simpler alternative for v4v6v4.

With it,  the only NAT function is NAT44  (neither NAT64 nor NAT46 are
needed).

The NAT44 of router-CPEs only needs  to be associated with some
"address and Port borrowing protocol (APBP)" similar to that proposed
in SHANTI
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-shanti-01.txt).

One issue that it is not clear to use
(among many),

> is what level of ICE support shoudl be required, or what type of

> interaction between these boxes and ICE should be required.

> any comments on this would be really helpful

With this approach, everithing which works with NAT44, ICE in
particular, works the same way with NAT44 + APBP.

Also,  ISP provided functions are more scalable.

I work on an I-D describing it.  It should be available soon.

Regards

Rémi

_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave