Subject: [BEHAVE] Review of draft-ietf-behave-stun-test-vectors-03

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 16:41:26 +0200

Remi,

I was asked to do a review of draft-ietf-behave-stun-test-vectors-03 for
IESG evaluation, and I found the document to be ready for publication:

This document provides samples of STUN messages that have been found to
cause interoperability problems across implementations.  The goal is to
help making implementations standard-conform and interoperable.
Overall, the document is certainly ready for publication.  Just a minor
editorial improvement suggestion below.

In section 2, the document states:

     In this document, ASCII white spaces (U+0020) are used for padding
     within the first three messages - this is arbitrary.  Similarly,
     the last message uses nul bytes for padding. [...]

For the sake of clarity, there should be a statement about the possible
values that a padding byte may take.  I understand the text above to
mean that padding bytes can take any value.  Suggest re-wording to:  "In
general, padding bytes may take any value.  For the sample messages in
this document, ASCII white spaces (U+0020) were used for padding in the
first three messages, and null bytes were used for padding in the last
message."

- Christian

_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 16:46:55 +0200

On Thursday 06 November 2008 16:41:26 ext Christian Vogt, you wrote:
> values that a padding byte may take.

RFC3489bis section 15 already states:

 Since
   STUN aligns attributes on 32 bit boundaries, attributes whose content
   is not a multiple of 4 bytes are padded with 1, 2 or 3 bytes of
   padding so that its value contains a multiple of 4 bytes.  The
   padding bits are ignored, and may be any value.

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Maemo Software, Nokia Devices R&D
_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 12:53:26 +0200

>   padding bits are ignored, and may be any value.

Sorry.  I overlooked that you were already referring to this document.

- Christian