Subject: [BEHAVE] draft-baker-behave-v4v6-translation-00 - IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm

From: Carlos Pignataro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:25:22 -0500

Hello Fred,

I wanted to send you a quick comment (actually a question) regarding
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-behave-v4v6-translation-00>:
Should the ICMP translation mechanisms describe what procedures (even if
noop) to perform with ICMP Extensions (as defined in RFC 4884)? The only
RFC user of these extensions is RFC 4950, but other uses [e.g., in the
I-D draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered] embed IP addresses.

Thanks,

-- 
--Carlos Pignataro.
Escalation RTP - cisco Systems

_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:42:32 -0800

> I-D draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered] embed IP addresses.

Related, draft-ietf-behave-nat-icmp-10.txt (which is for
IPv4-IPv4 NAT) says:

   ICMP Error payload may contain ICMP extension objects ([ICMP-EXT]).
   NATs are encouraged to support ICMP extension objects. At the time
   of this writing, the authors are not aware of any standard ICMP
   extension objects containing realm specific information. 

draft-ietf-behave-nat-icmp is in IESG evaluation.  If a change is necessary
for IPv4 NAT please let the authors know.

-d

---

From: Carlos Pignataro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:26:27 -0500

> for IPv4 NAT please let the authors know.

I don't think there's change needed for draft-ietf-behave-nat-icmp (v4v4
case). There are still no RFCs with extension objects containing IP
addresses, and draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered includes a "NAT
Considerations" section.

Thanks,

--Carlos.

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 23:46:18 -0500

To be honest, I am inclined to defer that decision. If you think there  
are specific objects that should be considered, I'm always open to  
text. But part of me wonders if this belongs in a separate document.