Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] Address format documentation plan

From: Xing Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:26:31 +0800

Dear BEHAVE Co-Chairs,

We really appreciate your leadership to drive the progress in the BEHAVE
and offer to re-organize the layout of prefix-00 doc. As the original
editors of draft-xli-behave-v4v6-prefix-00.txt, we agree and support
this initiative.

As we understand, the content of the new prefix-00 doc will be mainly
based on draft-xli-behave-v4v6-prefix-00.txt and discussion we had in
the mailing-list. But it will provide better and clear layout in text.
We believe this is a very good idea!

(1) We agree it would be helpful to clearly separate Issue #1 (choice of
IPv6 prefix) and Issue #2 (choice of method). Both of these issues are
discussed in draft-xli-behave-v4v6-prefix-00.txt.

(2) The final conclusions of draft-xli-behave-v4v6-prefix-00.txt are
derived from the different scenarios discussed in the document. For the
sake of conciseness, though, we just listed the conclusions in general,
instead of the specific section corresponding to each scenario. We agree
that each scenario should have its own conclusion.

(3) It is important to have checksum neutral in NAT66. However, due to
wide deployment of IPv4 NATs, it is unlikely the IPv4 Internet will see
deployment of a new protocol. We believe that checksum neutral
translation is not necessary for the translators (IVI and NAT64), Thus,
we might better concentrate the efforts on other translation issues.

(4) Currently, CERNET is implementing both IVI and NAT64 translators for
different scenarios and has been testing those translators in
large-scale-production network to verify our draft works.

In conclusion, with the leadership of Co-Chairs and collaboration from
all colleagues from Behave teams, we volunteer to be editors of the new
prefix document after prefix -00.

Best regards,

Xing Li, Congxiao Bao, Fred Baker