Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] New Version Notification for draft-xu-behave-stateful-nat-standby-00

From: Xu Xiaohu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 16:37:18 +0800

Hi all,

Since the requirements of redundancy and load-balancing for stateful NAT
including NAT44, NAT64 and NAT46 are almost the same, according to the
suggestions from BEHAVE WG co-chairs, I expand the scope defined in the
NAT64 redundancy draft
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-behave-nat64-standby-00) to stateful
NAT in this draft.

A brief introduction of this draft is as follows:
   Network Address Translation (NAT) has been used as an efficient way 
   to delay IPv4 address exhaustion and been deemed as a major 
   mechanism for IPv4/IPv6 transition and coexistence. In the Large 
   Scale NAT (LSN) scenarios as described in some proposals, e.g., 
   [NAT444], [DS-Lite] and [NAT64], the LSN routers are deployed in 
   large-scale networks (e.g., ISP networks, campus networks or 
   enterprise networks) and serve a huge amount of users. Hence 
   redundancy and/or load-balancing capabilities are strongly desired 
   for these LSN routers in order to provide high availability services 
   to users. However, a failure of stateful NAT, which maintains states 
   per session, would cause interruption of those sessions. 

   In this document, we describe some redundancy and/or load balancing 
   mechanisms for stateful NAT, including IPv4->IPv4 NAT, IPv4->IPv6 
   NAT and IPv6->IPv4 NAT. Note that stateless NAT is out of the scope 
   of this document. Unless mentioned otherwise, NAT and LSN throughout 
   this document will pertain to stateful NAT and stateful LSN 
   separately. 

Any comments are appreciated. 

Xiaohu

> -----邮件原件-----
> 发件人: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> 发送时间: 2009年6月9日 16:21
> 收件人: [email-masked]
> 主题: New Version Notification for 
> draft-xu-behave-stateful-nat-standby-00
> 
> 
> A new version of I-D, 
> draft-xu-behave-stateful-nat-standby-00.txt has been 
> successfuly submitted by Xiaohu Xu and posted to the IETF repository.
> 
> Filename:	 draft-xu-behave-stateful-nat-standby
> Revision:	 00
> Title:		 Redundancy and Load Balancing 
> Mechanisms for Stateful Network Address Translators (NAT)
> Creation_date:	 2009-06-09
> WG ID:		 Independent Submission
> Number_of_pages: 10
> 
> Abstract:
> This document defines some redundancy and/or load balancing 
> mechanisms for stateful Network Address Translators (NAT), including 
> IPv4->IPv4 NAT, IPv4->IPv6 NAT and IPv6->IPv4 NAT. 
> 
> Conventions used in this document 
> 
> The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
> "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
> document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 [RFC2119].
>                                                               
>                     
> 
> 
> The IETF Secretariat.
> 
>