Subject: [BEHAVE] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-stateful-04.txt]

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:55:07 +0100

Hi,

I have submitted a new version of the stateful NAT64 and these are some 
points that could deserve more discussion (maybe in the interim or in 
the ml)
Find the pointer attached below.

-- Address-dependent filtering of ICMP queries.
I have tried to reflect the concept of address dependent mapping for the 
ICMP queries. I am not sure if this makes to much sense or if it is 
worth the trouble. Could you check it and comment?  See section 3.2.3.  
ICMP Query Session Handling

-- What to do with non expected TCP msgs in states other than ESTABLISHED.
The question is what to do with TCP segments of a given connection that 
is not what is expected by the state machine. In particular, what do we 
do with TCP data segments that the NAT64 has information to process i.e. 
a valid BIN entry) but do not correspond to any active connection. 
similar question applies to a duplicated SYN packet and so on. The 
current draft states that the NAT64 may forward of discard the packet, 
but certianly it must not create a session if the 3 way handshake is not 
performed properly. Would that make sense?
See the text in section 3.2.2.  TCP Session Handling in the CLOSEd 
state, and others.
 
-- Address-Dependent filtering for TCP and simultaneous open
How to implement Address Dependent filtering and support simultaneous 
opens is tricky. I would appreciate if someone could take a look. In 
particular, there is the question of whether we drop the incoming V4 SYN 
or we store it. And if we store it, whether we use it only for the ICMP 
error, or we do forward it when the V6 SYN arrives.
Please take a look at page 23, how a V4 SYN is handled in CLOSED state 
of section 3.2.2.  TCP Session Handling

--Port allocation for TCP follows the same rules than for UDP?
We are using the rules for port allocation following the recommendation 
of RFC4787. TCP does not have the same rules (they are much more relaxed).
the current draft uses the same rules for both. Shoudl we drop these 
rules for TCP?
See:3.2.4.  Rules for allocation of IPv4 transport addresses

-------- Mensaje original --------
Asunto: 	I-D Action:draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-stateful-04.txt
Fecha: 	Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:45:02 -0800 (PST)
De: 	[email-masked]
Responder a: 	[email-masked]
Para: 	[email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : NAT64: Network Address and Protocol Translation from IPv6 Clients to IPv4 Servers
	Author(s)       : M. Bagnulo, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-stateful-04.txt
	Pages           : 41
	Date            : 2009-12-13

NAT64 is a mechanism for translating IPv6 packets to IPv4 packets and
vice-versa.  DNS64 is a mechanism for synthesizing AAAA records from
A records.  These two mechanisms together enable client-server
communication between an IPv6-only client and an IPv4-only server,
without requiring any changes to either the IPv6 or the IPv4 node,
for the class of applications that work through NATs.  They also
enable peer-to-peer communication between an IPv4 and an IPv6 node,
where the communication can be initiated by either end using
existing, NAT-traversing, peer-to-peer communication techniques.
NAT64 also support IPv4 initiated communications to a subset of the
IPv6 hosts through statically configured bindings in the NAT64.  This
document specifies NAT64, and gives suggestions on how they should be
deployed.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on June 17, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF
Contributions published or made publicly available before November
10, 2008.  The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this
material may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow
modifications of such material outside the IETF Standards Process.
Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s) controlling
the copyright in such materials, this document may not be modified
outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may
not be created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format
it for publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages other
than English.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-stateful-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt