Subject: [BEHAVE] What ICMP to send when not reassembling UDP with checksum 0 because out of resources

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:35:58 -0500

In the interim, the question of what ICMP type/code to send when the
translator does not reassemble a UDP packet with zero checksum because
it is out of resources. It was proposed to send an ICMP Parameter
Problem pointing to the UDP checksum field.

However, I think we should follow the guidance of RFC 5508:

   REQ-8: When a NAT device is unable to establish a NAT Session for a
          new transport-layer (TCP, UDP, ICMP, etc.) flow due to
          resource constraints or administrative restrictions, the NAT
          device SHOULD send an ICMP destination unreachable message,
          with a code of 13 (Communication administratively prohibited)
          to the sender, and drop the original packet.

Simon
-- 
DNS64 open-source   --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server    --> http://numb.viagenie.ca
vCard 4.0           --> http://www.vcarddav.org

---

From: Kentaro Ebisawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:22:50 +0900

Hi Simon,

I also think it would be better to be in sync with RFC5508 as much as possible.

Thanks,
-- 
Kentaro Ebisawa <[email-masked]>

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:35:58 -0500
Simon Perreault <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Behave mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave