Subject: [BEHAVE] I-D Action:draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 05:30:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm
	Author(s)       : X. Li, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-05.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2009-12-17

This document specifies an update to the Stateless IP/ICMP
Translation Algorithm (SIIT) described in RFC 2765.  The algorithm
translates between IPv4 and IPv6 packet headers (including ICMP
headers).

This specification addresses both a stateless and a stateful mode.
In the stateless mode, translation information is carried in the
address itself, permitting both IPv4->IPv6 and IPv6->IPv4 session
establishment without maintaining state in the IP/ICMP translator.
In the stateful mode, translation state is maintained between IPv4
address/transport port tuples and IPv6 address/transport port tuples,
enabling IPv6 systems to open sessions with IPv4 systems.  The choice
of operational mode is made by the operator deploying the network and
is critical to the operation of the applications using it.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is a product of the 2008-2009 effort to define a
replacement for NAT-PT.  It is an update to and directly derivative
from Erik Nordmark's [RFC2765], which similarly provides both
stateless and stateful translation between IPv4 [RFC0791] and IPv6
[RFC2460], and between ICMPv4 [RFC0792] and ICMPv6 [RFC4443].  The
original document was a product of the NGTRANS working group.

The changes in this document reflect five components:

1.  Redescribing the network model to map to present and projected

 usage [I-D.ietf-behave-v6v4-framework].

2.  Moving the address format to the address format document

 [I-D.ietf-behave-address-format], to coordinate with other drafts

 on the topic.

3.  Describing both stateful and stateless operation.
4.  Some changes in ICMP.

5.  Updating references.

Requirements

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on June 20, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.
This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF
Contributions published or made publicly available before November
10, 2008.  The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this
material may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow
modifications of such material outside the IETF Standards Process.
Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s) controlling
the copyright in such materials, this document may not be modified
outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may
not be created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format
it for publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages other
than English.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.