Subject: [BEHAVE] decimal representation of embedded IPv4 addresses in the IPv6 representation

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:32:04 +0100

Hi,

During the hiroshima meeting, we discussed about when to use decimal 
representation for IPv4 addresses embedded in IPv6 addresses.
As currently defined, decimal representation can only be used when the 
IPv4 address is embedded in the last 32 bits of the IPv6 address.

My understanding of the consensus call during the meeting is to keep 
this unchanged i.e. we will only use decimal representation if the IPv4 
address is embedded in the last 32 bits. (Maybe the chairs can confirm 
that my reading of the consensus is correct?)

In terms  of the draft-ietf-behave-address-format, we could simply 
remain silent about this issue, since we are not modifying anything of 
the current specifications.

Please commnent if you have issues with this, if not we will move 
forward with the consensus obtained in hiroshima.

Regards, marcelo

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:51:33 -0800

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of marcelo bagnulo braun
> Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 5:32 AM
> To: Behave WG
> Subject: [BEHAVE] decimal representation of embedded IPv4 
> addresses in theIPv6 representation
> 
> Hi,
> 

Yes, see section titled "Turn over to Marcelo for Stateful translation",
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09nov/minutes/behave.txt

> the current specifications.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4291#section-2.2 only shows examples
of dotted-decimal with the IPv4-mapped prefix (::FFFF).  It seems
beneficial for draft-ietf-behave-address-format to show an example
of dotted-decimal with the WKP prefix and with an NSP prefix.

-d

> _______________________________________________
> Behave mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave