Subject: [BEHAVE] Comments on draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-05

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 03:39:15 +0000

My comments and suggested wording changes on this document are marked up in the PDF at
http://research.microsoft.com/~dthaler/draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-05.pdf

To summarize the main technical comments (see the PDF for full editorial etc comments):

1) What MUST/SHOULD a translator do if the derivation fails for a source address? 
   (e.g. if you would get an illegal address from it) Drop it? Forward it anyway?
   The security considerations section hints that one should do something, but
   nowhere does it say what.

2) The question I posted to the list earlier today about handling of 
   nested ICMP error messages.

3) Sections 3.2 and 3.3 contradict section 3.1.  Section 3.1 already explains
   how to deal with packets coming from IPv6 addresses that aren't IPv4-translatable,
   by saying you do stateful.  3.2 and 3.3 then refer to some "special block" which
   isn't explained.  The "special block" text should be removed.

4) The appendix (which should be moved into the body of the doc), is ambiguous
   and needs more information.  What does "-" mean?  That no parameter problem
   message is sent?  When multiple values appear on the right, how do you
   choose which one to use?

-Dave