Subject: [BEHAVE] Translating ICMPv4 Type 3 Code 13-15 (draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-04)

From: Kentaro Ebisawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 14:12:17 +0900

Hi,

While reviewing draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-04, I noticed how to
translate ICMPv4 Type 3 Code 13-15 are not mentioned in the doc.

* Type, Code (defined in RFC1812)
 3, 13 : Communication Administratively Prohibited
 3, 14 : Host Precedence Violation
 3, 15 : Precedence cutoff in effect

Is this already discussed somewhere ?

If not, I think we should add text explaining how to translate these
codes as well. For example, here are my idea how it should be translated.

Code 13: Set Type field to 1, Code 1 (communication with destination
         administratively prohibited)

Code 14: Single hop message. Silently drop.

 # RFC1812:
 # 14 = Host Precedence Violation.  Sent by the first hop router to a
 #      host to indicate that a requested precedence is not permitted
 #      for the particular combination of source/destination host or

Code 15: Set Type field to 1, Code 1 (communication with destination
         administratively prohibited)

Regards,
-- 
Kentaro Ebisawa <[email-masked]>, Skype: ebiken-skype

---

From: Xing Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:36:17 +0800

> Is this already discussed somewhere ?

No. The current document only discusses the ICMP Codes defined in RFC792.
>          administratively prohibited)

Thanks. We will present your comments in the interim meeting and try to 
get consensus.

xing

---

From: Kentaro Ebisawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 01:06:59 +0900

Hi Xing,

Based on the draft, I've compiled matrix of ICMPv4(v6) to ICMPv6(v4)
translation rules for all Type/Code registered to IANA.
# I can send you MS Excel version personally if you want one.

Looking into the matrix, the only Type/Code not defined how to translate
are below ICMPv4 error messages.

* Type 3, code 13,14,15
* Type 6
* Type 12, code 0,1,2

So it would be great if you can get consensus about how to handle above Type/Codes.

BTW, I've noted in the Matrix to drop all ICMP Types not mentioned in the
draft for ICMPv4 query, ICMPv6 informational and error messages since it's
mentioned in the draft.

But it doesn't say anything about how to handle unkown Type/Codes for
ICMPv4 error messages. So I think it will be good idea to add text to the
draft to drop all unkown ICMPv4 error messages as well, in case there were
new ICMPv4 Type/Code defined in the future.

Regards,
-- 
Kentaro Ebisawa <[email-masked]>

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:36:17 +0800

---

From: Xing Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:05:59 +0800

Hi, Kentaro,

> # I can send you MS Excel version personally if you want one.

Thank you very much for this very useful matrix. Yes, please kindly send
me a excel file.
> So it would be great if you can get consensus about how to handle above Type/Codes.

I will add your notes in the ppt file and ask for the consensus.

> new ICMPv4 Type/Code defined in the future.

agree.
> Regards,

regards,

xing