Subject: [BEHAVE] BEHAVE status, call for document help

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 08:29:47 -0700

It's been a few weeks since our charter was approved and updated, and I know

everyone is diligently typing up new Internet Drafts.  I wanted to update 
everyone on charter, milestones, and the future.

Below are BEHAVE's uncompleted milestones.  These are the things we should
be concentrating on finishing.  Finishing early is acceptable!  

If a topic isn't listed here, but is mentioned in the charter, it can
be discussed on the mailing list or at the face-to-face meeting.  But if it
isn't listed in the milestones it is because it is insufficiently "baked" 
to pick a milestone date -- for example, IKE/IPSec across a NAT64,
multicast,
and two of the remaining BEHAVE scenarios.

After we have finished some of these milestones, we will see if there is
energy to recharter BEHAVE for new work -- possibly including the items
above where there seems to be some interest, or possibly other areas.

We need some energy around some of these milestones, most notably 
"avoiding NAT64 with dual-stack host for local networks", most likely
an analysis document is necessary to make good progress on that 
problem.  See below.

Milestones from http://www.ietf.org/dyn/wg/charter/behave-charter are:

  "Oct 2010	  	Submit to IESG: FTP ALG for IPv6/IPv4 
   translation (std)"

This is draft-ietf-behave-ftp64.  Per agreement with the folks at the
FTPEXT2 BoF at IETF78 and agreement with the author, this document has
had the normative FTP client text and normative FTP server text
removed, and placed into a separate document.  That other document
will either be an FTPEXT2 work item (if the working group is formed)
or will be shepherded by one of the Application ADs.

We will issue a short WGLC for draft-ietf-behave-ftp64-05 this week.
We will need some people to review the changes and reply back to the 
chairs that the document has been reviewed.  Thanks.

--

  "Dec 2010	  	Submit to IESG: large scale NAT requirements (BCP)"

The document to meet this milestone is draft-nishitani-cgn-05, which
was agreed verbally (with no objections) in Maastricht to accept as a
WG document.  I will send out a short "if you object, speak up now" 
message and wait a couple of days, but this is pretty straight forward.  
This has been a BEHAVE milestone for well over a year, but we have 
not had time to adopt the document and perform a useful working group 
review.  We now have time.

--

  "Feb 2011	  	Submit to IESG: Analysis of NAT-PT considerations 
   with IPv6/IPv4 translation (info)"

This document most likely to be adopted is
draft-penno-behave-64-analysis, which currently lists me as a
co-author.  I do not have the energy to contribute more to the
document, but it does need more text and more editing.  If you
are interested in helping please contact the authors at
[email-masked]

--

  "Apr 2011	  	Submit to IESG: avoiding NAT64 with dual-stack 
   host for local networks (std)"

This is related to the presentation in Maastricht titled "Analysis:
hosts knowing AAAA is synthesized versus hosts creating their own
synthesized", by Jouni Korhonen and Teemu Savolainen, 
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/78/slides/behave-1.pdf and the 
following mechanisms that were compared:
       Section 4.1 of draft-wing-behave-learn-prefix-04
       Section 4.2 of draft-wing-behave-learn-prefix-04
       Section 3.3 of draft-wing-behave-learn-prefix-03
       draft-korhonen-edns0-synthesis-flag-00
       Section 3 of draft-korhonen-edns0-synthesis-flag-00
       Section 4 of draft-korhonen-edns0-synthesis-flag-00
       draft-boucadair-behave-dns64-discovery-00

The working group needs to decide (A) which scenarios are important to
be solved and (B) which solution solves those scenarios.

It would be valuable for someone to volunteer to write an Internet
Draft discussing the scenarios and then discussing the applicability
of each of the 7 mechanisms to solving the scenarios.  

--

  "Apr 2011             Submit to IESG: SCTP NAT behavior (BCP)"

This is related to draft-stewart-natsupp-tsvwg, which is not yet a
TSVWG working group document.  draft-stewart-natsupp-tsvwg contains
the protocol extension to disable SCTP restart when operating
across a NAT.

--

  "Apr 2011             Submit to IESG: NAT64 load balancing
  (std/info)"

This idea seemed to have consensus for solving this problem on the
mailing list.  The document draft-wang-behave-nat64-load-balancer
appears closest to meeting this milestone.  We will ask for document
adoption this week.

--

  "Apr 2011	  	Submit to IESG: host-based NAT46 translation for
IPv4-only 
   applications to access IPv6-only servers (std)"

The candidate document for this milestone is draft-huang-behave-bih.  We
will ask for document adoption this week.

-d