Subject: [bess] RFC 7582 on Multicast Virtual Private Network (MVPN): Using Bidirectional P-Tunnels

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 22:48:16 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7582

        Title:      Multicast Virtual Private Network (MVPN): 
                    Using Bidirectional P-Tunnels 
        Author:     E. Rosen, IJ. Wijnands,
                    Y. Cai, A. Boers
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      34
        Characters: 79244
        Updates:    RFC 6513, RFC 6514, RFC 6625

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-bess-mvpn-bidir-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7582

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7582

A set of prior RFCs specify procedures for supporting multicast in
BGP/MPLS IP VPNs.  These procedures allow customer multicast data to
travel across a service provider's backbone network through a set of
multicast tunnels.  The tunnels are advertised in certain BGP
multicast auto-discovery routes, by means of a BGP attribute known
as the "Provider Multicast Service Interface (PMSI) Tunnel"
attribute.  Encodings have been defined that allow the PMSI Tunnel
attribute to identify bidirectional (multipoint-to-multipoint)
multicast distribution trees.  However, the prior RFCs do not provide
all the necessary procedures for using bidirectional tunnels to
support multicast VPNs.  This document updates RFCs 6513, 6514, and
6625 by specifying those procedures.  In particular, it specifies the
procedures for assigning customer multicast flows (unidirectional or
bidirectional) to specific bidirectional tunnels in the provider
backbone, for advertising such assignments, and for determining which
flows have been assigned to which tunnels.

This document is a product of the BGP Enabled Services Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC