Subject: [bess] Deborah Brungard's Yes on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ-05: (with COMMENT)

From: Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 13:05:37 -0800

Deborah Brungard has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ-05: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the current status as PS. While it does not define new
codepoints or protocol extensions, it defines new mechanisms
which need to be supported by all (PBB-)EVPN nodes. The mechanisms
are not supported by operational configuration, they are new
mechanisms which need to be supported by the node itself.

A BCP/Informational status would be appropriate if this document
was only defining the procedures related to the VPLS or PBB-VPLS
PEs. For those nodes, there is no change, as all the new mechanisms
supporting seamless integration need to be supported on the EVPN nodes.

---

From: "Ali Sajassi (sajassi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 08:36:54 +0000

Deborah,

Thanks for your review and feedback. You are spot on. If the document was talking about only VPLS/PBB-VPLS or EVPN/PBB-EVPN, then BCP would be appropriate but this document specifies the mechanism needed for an EVPN/PBB-EVPN PEs to simultaneously interoperate with both EVPN/PBB-EVPN and VPLS/PBB-VPLS PEs. It specifies the control-plane and forwarding behavior for unicast, multicast, discovery of VPN members, and MAC mobility in context of such a mix mode. 

Regards,
Ali

On 1/9/19, 1:05 PM, "Deborah Brungard" <[email-masked]> wrote: