Subject: [bess] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ-05: (with COMMENT)

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 09:30:06 -0800

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be very nice to have references to (PBB-)EVPN and (PBB-)VPLS in the
introduction.  I think that all of these references should be Normative because
they are "documents that must be read to understand or implement the
technology".  It looks like the references are made later in the text...but a
couple are listed as only Informative.

I don't think that the use of rfc2119 language in §2 (Requirements) is
appropriate because (1) there isn't any Normative action from the requirements,
and (2) these are resolved later in this document.

I agree with others (Genart, Opsdir) in that this document reads more like a
BCP or even an Informational document.

[nit] s/(PBB-VPLS) solutions (PBB-)VPLS./(PBB-VPLS) solutions.

---

From: "Ali Sajassi (sajassi)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 07:30:52 +0000

Alvaro,

Thanks for your review and your comments. Please refer to my replies below marked with "AS>".

On 1/7/19, 9:30 AM, "Alvaro Retana" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    

AS> All the EVPN and VPLS RFCs are listed in the normative section. RFC7041 which is about PBB-VPLS was in informative section which is now move to normative.

AS> change them to lower case.

AS> I added a sentence to the abstract and introduction to explain why this drat is intended to be "standard".

AS> done.