Subject: [bess] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-07: (with COMMENT)

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 08:21:39 -0800

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-df-election-framework/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I know there has already been a bunch of discussion about whether this document
should formally update RFC 7432. I wanted to ask specifically about Section
3.1. I may be completely misunderstanding this since I did not give RFC 7432 a
thorough read, but it appears as though Section 3.1 specifically articulates
details applicable to RFC 7432 (independent of what this draft specifies in 3.2
and later sections) that were not included in that RFC. That seems like it
warrants the "Updates" relationship, because then people reading RFC 7432 in
the future will know to look at this document for updates, and can at least
find the FSM and its description there. There is not consensus about what
"Updates" means (as evidenced by recent discussion instigated by the IESG [1])
and I don't think this is worth dying on a hill over, just wanted to raise that
specifically in case people hadn't considered it.

The introduction of this document is unusually long (more than a third of the
substantive content of the document). You might consider having 1.1 start a new
section rather than having 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 be subsections of the introduction.

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/-1u_1-peHKAmUDuLyGAJYu0fPCE

---

From: "Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US/Mountain View)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 15:49:30 +0000

Alissa,

Thank you very much for reviewing. 
You raise very good points about the "update" topic. As discussed, in the rev 08 we will change the document to update 7432, explaining why in the abstract and introduction.

About changing the introduction structure, we thought about it but still prefer to keep those sub-sections as part of the introduction. Let us know if it is ok or you want us to change the title "introduction" to something else. Maybe "introduction and problem statement"?

Thank you.
Jorge