Subject: [bess] Last Call: <draft-ietf-bess-evpn-optimized-ir-08.txt> (Optimized Ingress Replication solution for EVPN) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2021 07:33:59 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG (bess) to
consider the following document: - 'Optimized Ingress Replication solution
for EVPN'
  <draft-ietf-bess-evpn-optimized-ir-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-09-07. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Network Virtualization Overlay (NVO) networks using EVPN as control
   plane may use Ingress Replication (IR) or PIM (Protocol Independent
   Multicast) based trees to convey the overlay BUM traffic.  PIM
   provides an efficient solution to avoid sending multiple copies of
   the same packet over the same physical link, however it may not
   always be deployed in the NVO core network.  IR avoids the dependency
   on PIM in the NVO network core.  While IR provides a simple multicast
   transport, some NVO networks with demanding multicast applications
   require a more efficient solution without PIM in the core.  This
   document describes a solution to optimize the efficiency of IR in NVO
   networks.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-optimized-ir/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.