Subject: [bfcpbis] WG Action: Binary Floor Control Protocol Bis (bfcpbis)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 09:48:33 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Real-Time Applications 
and Infrastructure Area.  For additional information, please contact the 
Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Binary Floor Control Protocol Bis (bfcpbis)
---------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Keith Drage <[email-masked]>
  Charles Eckel <[email-masked]>

Real-Time Applications and Infrastructure Area Directors:
  Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
  Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>

Real-Time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
  Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
  General Discussion: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe:	      https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bfcpbis
  Archive:	      http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/bfcpbis/

Description of Working Group:

The BFCPBIS working group is chartered to specify a revision of BFCP 
(RFC 4582) to support using both TCP and UDP as transports. The current
version of BFCP only supports TCP, which when both endpoints are behind
NATs or firewalls, has a lower success rate than using the ICE
techniques with a UDP based transport for BFCP.  The need for video
endpoints to work in these types of environments is driving a strong
need to support a UDP based transport as well as TCP.
 
This WG will create a revision of RFC 4582 which adds optional
support for UDP to BFCP. The security when using UDP will be based on
DTLS. The updated protocol will use an existing approach (e.g., stop
and wait with a single outstanding transaction) to provide a
reliable, congestion safe, and TCP friendly transport. 

In addition to providing a way for dealing with the reliable delivery
of client-initiated transactions, the updated protocol will also be
able to deliver server-initiated transactions reliably when
needed. The WG will research the size of messages used and decide if
fragmenting a request or response over multiple UDP packets is
required.  The new protocol will be backwards compatible with RFC
4582 when used in TCP mode.
 
The BFCPBIS WG will coordinate closely with the MMUSIC WG to create a
revision of RFC 4583 specifying how BFCP is signaled in SDP so that it
supports UDP as well as TCP transports.  This WG would ask the MMUSIC WG
to add a milestone to create a revisions of  RFC 4583 to address
signaling the use of UDP in SDP. The WG will coordinate with
International Multimedia Telecommunications Consortium (IMTC) and other
industry fora.

Goals and Milestones:

April 2012   Draft revision of RFC 4582 to IESG