Subject: [Bier] Suresh Krishnan's Discuss on draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:33:25 -0800

Suresh Krishnan has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions-13: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

* Section 2.2 BIER MPLS Encapsulation Sub-TLV

This should be straightforward to fix but it is not clear if the label range is
allowed to wrap around (overflow) or not past the 20 bit space. e.g. is a
Label=2^20-X with a MSI of X or larger legal? I was hoping that RFC8296 would
have covered this but unfortunately it leaves it to this document (and the
IS-IS document) to specify.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

* Section 2.1. BIER Sub-TLV

- No handling specified for the Reserved field in this sub-TLV. Assuming, set
to zero and ignore on receipt? Please specify.

- I think there might be an IANA registry required for the "BIER Algorithm" to
keep track of new algorithms (if any)

- typo: s/BRF/BFR/

* Section 2.2 BIER MPLS Encapsulation Sub-TLV

"Max SI : A 1 octet field encoding the Maximum Set Identifier (section 1 of
[RFC8296])"

There is no definition for "Maximum Set Identifier" in RFC8296. Did you just
mean "Set Identifier"? If not, can you clarify what you mean?