Subject: [Bier] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-bier-isis-extensions-07: (with COMMENT)

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 10:15:16 -0800

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bier-isis-extensions-07: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-isis-extensions/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support EKRs discuss and think it's just s reference that needs to be added
as this is an extension.

I also had a question on 5.6, what does dampen the logging mean?  Is this
something that is programmed and can't be changed or configurable in case
debugging is not adequate?

---

From: "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 18:34:05 +0000

Kathleen -

Thanx for the review.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Kathleen Moriarty [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:15 AM
> To: The IESG <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]; Hooman Bidgoli
> <[email-masked]>; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-bier-isis-extensions-
> 07: (with COMMENT)
> 
> When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all email
> addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this introductory
> paragraph, however.)
> 
> 
[Les:] Agreed - please see my response to Eric.

> debugging is not adequate?

[Les:] It is a common practice to dampen events which have the potential to occur frequently. In this case, if a node sends some form of advertisement which violates the specification, it is quite likely that it will continue to send that same invalid advertisement repeatedly. Logging that same event every time it is detected is not helpful and has the potential to degrade performance of the router. Dampening can be done in a variety of ways. It could be rate limited based on time. It could be limited to changes only (i.e., if this has already been reported and the content hasn’t changed don’t report it again). Other strategies may apply. Details are left to the implementation - for the purposes of the specification we simply emphasize that it is prudent to do dampening.

  Les

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 13:47:47 -0500

Hi Les,

Thanks for your quick response.  Inline.

> [Les:] It is a common practice to dampen events which have the potential to occur frequently. In this case, if a node sends some form of advertisement which violates the specification, it is quite…

That makes perfect sense and I've experienced the problem firsthand
;-) . From the text in the draft, it wasn't clear that it would be the
same message repeated that would be dampened.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen