Subject: [Bier] Eric Rescorla's Discuss on draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions-13: (with DISCUSS)

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 09:24:09 -0800

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions-13: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Document: draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions-12.txt

I have not yet reviewed this document in detail:

   Implementations must assure that malformed TLV and Sub-TLV
   permutations do not result in errors which cause hard OSPF failures.

This is not an adequate security considerations section. What is your
threat model? What attacks are possible? What are not? It may be the
case that this is all covered in other documents, and you just need to
point to them, but the reader doesn't know that, so this needs to be
documented. Adam Montville's SECDIR review which makes some of the
same points and lists a few specific items to examine.