Subject: [Bier] Last Call: <draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions-10.txt> (OSPF Extensions for BIER) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 11:19:45 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication WG
(bier) to consider the following document: - 'OSPF Extensions for BIER'
  <draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions-10.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-02-22. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) is an architecture that
   provides multicast forwarding through a "BIER domain" without
   requiring intermediate routers to maintain multicast related per-flow
   state.  Neither does BIER require an explicit tree-building protocol
   for its operation.  A multicast data packet enters a BIER domain at a
   "Bit-Forwarding Ingress Router" (BFIR), and leaves the BIER domain at
   one or more "Bit-Forwarding Egress Routers" (BFERs).  The BFIR router
   adds a BIER header to the packet.  Such header contains a bit-string
   in which each bit represents exactly one BFER to forward the packet
   to.  The set of BFERs to which the multicast packet needs to be
   forwarded is expressed by the according set of bits set in BIER
   packet header.

   This document describes the OSPF protocol extension required for BIER
   with MPLS encapsulation.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-ospf-bier-extensions/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc8296: Encapsulation for Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) in MPLS and Non-MPLS Networks (Experimental - IETF stream)
    rfc8279: Multicast Using Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) (Experimental - IETF stream)