Subject: [Bier] Fwd: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-15.txt> (Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery for Datagram Transports) to Proposed Standard

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 08:31:28 -0800

FYI…

Forwarding to the WG because there are a couple of documents related to
PMTUD have been discussed on the list.

If you have comments, please send them to the authors and copy
[email-masked].

Thanks!

Alvaro.

On February 25, 2020 at 9:14:45 AM, The IESG ([email-masked])
wrote:

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document: - 'Packetization Layer Path MTU
Discovery for Datagram Transports'
<draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud-15.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-03-10. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

This document describes a robust method for Path MTU Discovery
(PMTUD) for datagram Packetization Layers (PLs). It describes an
extension to RFC 1191 and RFC 8201, which specifies ICMP-based Path
MTU Discovery for IPv4 and IPv6. The method allows a PL, or a
datagram application that uses a PL, to discover whether a network
path can support the current size of datagram. This can be used to
detect and reduce the message size when a sender encounters a packet
black hole (where packets are discarded). The method can probe a
network path with progressively larger packets to discover whether
the maximum packet size can be increased. This allows a sender to
determine an appropriate packet size, providing functionality for
datagram transports that is equivalent to the Packetization Layer
PMTUD specification for TCP, specified in RFC 4821.

The document updates RFC 4821 to specify the method for datagram PLs,
and updates RFC 8085 as the method to use in place of RFC 4821 with
UDP datagrams. Section 7.3 of RFC4960 recommends an endpoint apply
the techniques in RFC 4821 on a per-destination-address basis. RFC
4960, RFC 6951 and RFC 8261 are updated to recommend that SCTP, SCTP
encapsulated in UDP and SCTP encapsulated in DTLS use the method
specified in this document instead of the method in RFC 4821.

The document also provides implementation notes for incorporating
Datagram PMTUD into IETF datagram transports or applications that use
datagram transports.

When published, this specification updates RFC 4960, RFC 4821, RFC
8085 and RFC 8261.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-datagram-plpmtud/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce