Subject: [Bier] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 19:43:11 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Path Engineering for Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER-TE)
        Authors         : Toerless Eckert
                          Gregory Cauchie
                          Michael Menth
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-06.txt
	Pages           : 45
	Date            : 2020-02-19

Abstract:
   This memo introduces per-packet stateless strict and loose path
   engineered replication and forwarding for Bit Index Explicit
   Replication packets (RFC8279).  This is called BIER-TE.

   BIER-TE leverages RFC8279 and extends it with a new semantic for bits
   in the bitstring.  BIER-TE can leverage BIER forwarding engines with
   little or no changes.

   In BIER, the BitPositions (BP) of the packets bitstring indicate BIER
   Forwarding Egress Routers (BFER), and hop-by-hop forwarding uses a
   Routing Underlay such as an IGP.

   In BIER-TE, BitPositions indicate adjacencies.  The BIFT of each BFR
   are only populated with BPs that are adjacent to the BFR in the BIER-
   TE topology.  The BIER-TE topology can consist of layer 2 or remote
   (route) adjacencies.  The BFR then replicates and forwards BIER
   packets to those adjacencies.  This results in the aforementioned
   strict and loose path forwarding.

   BIER-TE can co-exist with BIER forwarding in the same domain, for
   example by using separate sub-domains.  In the absence of routed
   adjacencies, BIER-TE does not require a BIER routing underlay, and
   can then be operated without requiring an IGP routing protocol.

   BIER-TE operates without explicit in-network tree-building and
   carries the multicast distribution tree in the packet header.  It can
   therefore be a good fit to support multicast path steering in Segment
   Routing (SR) networks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-te-arch/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/