Subject: [Bier] Last Call: <draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-10.txt> (Tree Engineering for Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER-TE)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 12:57:10 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication WG
(bier) to consider the following document: - 'Tree Engineering for Bit Index
Explicit Replication (BIER-TE)'
  <draft-ietf-bier-te-arch-10.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-08-11. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This memo describes per-packet stateless strict and loose path
   steered replication and forwarding for Bit Index Explicit Replication
   packets (RFC8279).  It is called BIER Tree Engineering (BIER-TE) and
   is intended to be used as the path steering mechanism for Traffic
   Engineering with BIER.

   BIER-TE introduces a new semantic for bit positions (BP) that
   indicate adjacencies, as opposed to BIER in which BPs indicate Bit-
   Forwarding Egress Routers (BFER).  BIER-TE can leverage BIER
   forwarding engines with little changes.  Co-existence of BIER and
   BIER-TE forwarding in the same domain is possible, for example by
   using separate BIER sub-domains (SDs).  Except for the optional
   routed adjacencies, BIER-TE does not require a BIER routing underlay,
   and can therefore operate without depending on an Interior Gateway
   Routing protocol (IGP).

   As it operates on the same per-packet stateless forwarding
   principles, BIER-TE can also be a good fit to support multicast path
   steering in Segment Routing (SR) networks.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-te-arch/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2766/