Subject: [BLISS] Re: Revised Charter re-submit (Shida Schubert)

From: "Peter Musgrave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 12:40:18 -0600

Hi Shida, 

I was wondering about the relationship between the BLISS WG and the work
being done in SIP Forum's SIPConnect initiative. The goal of their doc
was to define a core set of RFCs for service-provider to enterprise SIP
connectivity. 

Do you see this as being "in scope" for BLISS?

I am trying to write some basic interop scenarios for testing at some
future SIPIT and trying to decide if this was of interest to BLISS and
regarded as in/out of scope. 

Without knowing all the historical details - it seems to me (perhaps
naively) that a basic level of interop with SIP-PSTN providers would be
a useful addition to BLISS.

Cheers, 

Peter Musgrave

_______________________________________________
BLISS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bliss

---

From: Shida Schubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 13:53:37 -0700

Peter;

 SP to Enterprise interconnectivity in a way SIPConnect defines it, I 
strongly
believe is not within the scope of BLISS.

 If SP is providing the feature mentioned as a milestone in the charter and
interoperability is desired, then SP providing the service is likely to 
have to
implement whatever minimum requirements found necessary to obtain
interoperability. If that affects the core set of RFCs listed in SIPConnect
so be it.

 As for your last comment about SIP-PSTN interop, if you are talking
about basic interoperability(peering), not that of a specific feature it is
not in scope of BLISS. If it's of a specific feature, interaction of a 
feature
with the PSTN-GW to accomplish ineterwoking will be considered, and
I believe that is as far as we will go.

 I hope, I answered your question.

 Regards
  Shida

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 14:20:03 -0400

I agree with Shida here. Our objectives don't include 'SP to enterprise 
interconnect', but rather, an examination of various features or feature 
bundles to make sure we get a minimal set of interoperability guidelines 
specified. If SIPconnect or some other org wants to point to such a 
document and say that this is required for a certain use case, then great.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: "Peter Musgrave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 12:23:54 -0600

Fair enough. 

I will continue to work on basic interop use-cases within the context of
the techwg at SIPForum. 

Peter