Subject: [BLISS] Protocol Action: 'Shared Appearances of a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Address of Record (AOR)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-bliss-shared-appearances-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:40:41 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Shared Appearances of a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Address of
   Record (AOR)'
  (draft-ietf-bliss-shared-appearances-15.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Basic Level of Interoperability for
SIP Services Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bliss-shared-appearances/

Technical Summary

This Document describes the requirements and implementations of a group
telephony feature which allows several user agents (UAs) to share a
common AoR, learn about calls placed and received by other UAs in the
group, and pick up join calls within the group.

Working Group Summary

There were no points where consensus were rough but extending
pre-existing dialog event package rather than defining a new
event package was seen as a controversial issue for some. Also
to indicate whether a UA supports this specification, use of
option tag was suggested over the use of implicit mechanism
but WG decided to leave it as is as the server (appearance
agent) can gracefully handle the existance of non-compliant
UA.

Document Quality

There are existing implementations as far as I know. Some
vendors have indicated their plan to implement the specification.
Review by Robert Sparks (responsible AD) and Dale Worley
have fine tuned the document by clarifying some unclarified
text along with some contoversial issues mentioned above.

Personnel

Shida Schubert is the document shepherd and Robert Sparks
is the responsible Area Director.