Subject: [bmwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-fib-meth-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 06:56:21 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Methodology for Forwarding Information Base (FIB) 
                          based Router Performance
	Author(s)	: G. Trotter
	Filename	: draft-ietf-bmwg-fib-meth-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 17-Jan-02
	
The forwarding performance of an IP router may be dependent upon or 
may be linked to the composition and size of the forwarding 
information base installed within a router.  This document describes 
the methodology to be used to determine the IP packet forwarding 
performance of an IP router as a function of the forwarding 
information base installed within a router.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-fib-meth-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-bmwg-fib-meth-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-fib-meth-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "TROTTER,GUY (A-Canada,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:37:05 -0700

Hi all,

As you can see, I've (finally) posted the FIB performance methodology
associated with the terminology document (RFC 3222).

I really look forward to comments on the methodology, and expect there to be
much more discussion on this document than the terminology ;-)

Some items that I'd like the working group to particularly focus on:

- section 6, and particularly section 6.2 "Prevention of Route Aggregation"
- section 6.3 "learning time"
- section 12.2 "Maximum FIB Size Test"

I'd also like comments as to whether I've been detailed enough with regards
to how the actual metric measurements have been performed.

Thanks, and look forward to the comments,

Guy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Trotter
Agilent Technologies         phone: +1 604 454 3516
Advanced Networks Division   fax:   +1 604 454 3401
#2500 4710 Kingsway          mailto:[email-masked]
Burnaby, British Columbia    page:  mailto:[email-masked]
V5H 4M2                      
CANADA                       http://www.agilent.com

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: January 18, 2002 3:56 AM
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [bmwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-fib-meth-00.txt
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: "TROTTER,GUY (A-Canada,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:37:05 -0700

Hi all,

Guy