Subject: [bmwg] mcast bits - mixed class + reporting format

From: Debby Stopp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:28:41 -0800

All -

We have been working very hard on the mcast doc over the past two weeks in
response to the comments received.  We will be sending the completed
document to the ietf at the end of the week; however, there are several
sections that had some major work + attracted the most comments that we will
post throughout the week.

In the past, the majority of the comments have come from just a couple of
individuals - the goal here is to give some of the more silent members of
our bmwg community the opportunity to speak up and comment as sections are
become available. 

Note - Email nods of approval would also be appreciated :).
***********

New section:

  3.1.6. Reporting Format Requirements 
      
     The following configuration parameters MUST be reflected in the 
     results report for each methodology unless otherwise specified: 
       o Packet size(s)  
       o Number of tested egress interfaces on the DUT/SUT  
       o Test duration 

***********
Mixed class - note that we have simplified this a lot based on the comments
from the reflector + Kevin's comments.

  4.1. Mixed Class Throughput 
   
     Objective: 
      
     To determine the throughput of a DUT/SUT when both unicast class 
     frames and multicast class frames are offered simultaneously to a 
     fixed number of interfaces as defined in RFC 2432. 

     Procedure: 
      
     Multicast and unicast traffic are mixed together in the same 
     aggregated traffic stream in order to simulate the non-homogenous 
     networking environment. The DUT/SUT MUST learn the appropriate 
     unicast IP addresses, either by sending ARP frames from each 
     unicast address, sending a RIP packet or by assigning static 
     entries into the DUT/SUT address table. 
      
     The intended load [Ma91] SHOULD be configured as alternating 
     multicast frames and unicast frames. The unicast frames MUST be 
     configured to transmit in a round-robin fashion to all of the 
     receive egress interfaces.  The multicast frames MUST be configured 
     to transmit to all of the receive egress interfaces. 
      
     All DUT/SUT egress interfaces configured to receive multicast 
     traffic MUST join all configured multicast groups prior to 
     transmitting test frames.  Joining a group is accomplished by 
     sending an IGMP Join Group messages.  All DUT/SUT egress interfaces 
     configured to receive unicast traffic MUST send learning frames 
     prior to transmitting test frames (see section 3 for more 
     information). 
      
     Throughput measurement is defined in RFC1242 [Br91]. A search 
     algorithm MUST be utilized to determine the maximum offered frame 
     rate with a zero frame loss rate. 

     Reporting Format: 
      
     Test configuration parameters MUST be reported for this test per 
     section 3.1.6, and, specific to the Mixed Class Throughput test, 
     the following information MUST also be reported: 

          o Mixed Class Throughput as defined in RFC1242 [Br91]. 
          o Total number of multicast groups. 
          o Traffic distribution for unicast and multicast traffic 
            classes. 
       
     The Mixed Class Throughput results for each test SHOULD be reported 
     in the form of a table with a row for each of the tested packet 
     sizes per the recommendations in section 3.1.3. 
      
     Each row SHOULD specify the intended load, number of multicast 
     frames offered, number of unicast frames offered and measured 
     throughput. 

Debby
_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg