Subject: [bmwg] BMWG proposed charter mods

From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:15:48 -0500

BMWG:

To better reflect the scope of our WG, I will propose to the ADs that
the following new paragraph be inserted between the current 2nd and
thirds paragraphs of the "Description of the Working Group."

  "To better distinguish the BMWG from other measurement initiatives in
  the IETF, the scope of the BMWG is limited to technology
  characterization using simulated stimuli in a laboratory environment.
  Said differently, the BMWG does not attempt to produce benchmarks for
  live, operational networks or their elements.  Moreover, the benchmarks
  produced by this WG shall strive to be vendor independent or otherwise
  have universal applicability to a given technology class."

It should be stated that the above change reflects a historical, but
undocumented, scoping constraint of the BMWG.  That is, the above
wording seeks to answer that burning question, "What's the difference
between the BMWG and IPPM WGs?"

Goals and Milestones have been adjusted as such:

Done  Terminology for FIB related Router Performance Benchmarking to AD
       review.
Done  First draft Net Traffic Control Benchmarking Methodology.
Done  First Draft of Methodology for FIB related Router Performance
       Benchmarking.
Done  Firewall Benchmarking Methodology to AD Review
MAR 03  Methodology for IP Multicast Benchmarking to AD Review.
MAR 03  Resource Reservation Benchmarking Terminology to AD Review
MAR 03  First I-D on IPsec Device Benchmarking Terminology
APR 03  Net Traffic Control Benchmarking Terminology to AD Review
APR 03  OSPF Convergence Benchmarking Terminology to AD Review
APR 03  OSPF Convergence Benchmarking Methodology to AD Review
APR 03  OSPF Convergence Benchmarking Applicability to AD Review
APR 03  EGP Convergence Benchmarking Terminology to AD Review
APR 03  Methodology for FIB related Router Performance Benchmarking to
         AD review.
JUL 03  Resource Reservation Benchmarking Methodology to AD Review
JUL 03  Basic BGP Convergence Benchmarking Methodology to AD Review.
DEC 03  Net Traffic Control Benchmarking Methodology to AD Review
DEC 03  IPsec Device Benchmarking Terminology to AD Review

Thoughts/Comments?

-Kevin

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: David Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:31:57 -0800 (PST)

Fully agree with the spirit of this change, and almost all the wording.

The only edit I'd recommend would be to delete the words "or their
elements" from the second sentence. In fact, the bmwg is intimately
concerned with producing benchmarks for network elements like routers,
switches, and other widgets -- just not in a production setting.

dn

On Mon, 24

---

From: David Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:31:57 -0800 (PST)

dn

On Mon, 24

---

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:31:51 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

I agree with this rewording.

:-)

Russ

--
[email-masked] CCIE <>< Grace Alone
_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:31:51 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

:-)

Russ