Subject: [bmwg] draft-ietf-bmwg-ipsec-term-04

From: "Hickman, Brooks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:17:29 -0700

In reading over the IPSec terminology, I had a question on the Tunnel
Throughput(Section 10.1.1).

In the discussion section(Copied below), the draft specifies:

"The IPsec Tunnel Throughput is almost identically defined as Throughput in
[RFC1242], section 3.17. The only difference is that the throughput is
measured with a traffic flow getting encrypted and decrypted by an IPsec
device. IPsec Tunnel Throughput is an end-to-end measurement. 
The metric can be represented in two variantions depending on where
measurement is taken in the SUT. One can look at throughput from a cleartext
point of view i.e. find the maximum rate where clearpackets no longer get
dropped. This resulting rate can be recalculated with an encrypted framesize
to represent the encryption throughput rate. The latter is the preferred
method of representation. "
The first paragraph notes that the tunnel throughput is an end to end
measurement. That is, the offered traffic flow is encrypted, then decrypted
and finally forwarded(Clearpackets in, Clearpackets out). The questions I
had are in regards to the second paragraph.
Is the intent is to allow the measured throughput(Mbps) to be recalculate ,
based off of the forwarded encrypted frame size through the tunnel , and
then represent that value as the tunnel throughput?  The first sentence in
the second paragraph suggests this("The metric can be represented in two
variantions ..."). Assume spelling error in "variantions".
Did  you mean that the throughput metric can be recalculated to represent
the Encrypted throughput metric(Section 10.1.2)?
Can you please clarify. Thanks.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg