Subject: RE: [bmwg] ALT/ADT activities

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 07:56:29 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Rivalino Matias Jr. [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2006 11:06 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RES: [bmwg] ALT/ADT activities

[snip]

> Rivalino>  Ok Scott. Let me describe what I'm considering as qualitative
and
quantitative utilizing a fictitious scenario. I'm evaluating three routers
in order to know what is the best choice to use in my network project. One
of my test cases is to know if the routers are robust to support 100
gigabytes of data transfer without reboot them. Considering that my typical
workload is 100 megabytes per hour, a test in this typical condition could
require approximately 1024 hours. However, using an accelerated stress test
I can reaches the same result in one hour. The result is: Router A and B
(Passed) and C (Failed).This is a qualitative test.

Scott> The BMWG charter is at
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/bmwg-charter.html.  The BMWG does not
develop test cases that are P/F.  The standards are for benchmarking
performance values that are repeatable and comparable.
 
> Another situation is my second test. I want to know what is the MTBF of
each
router. Here I have a quantitative necessitya - the MTBF value.
Like the above situation, it is not interesting to test the routers in the
typical workload, because its time to fail is too long. So, I will use an
accelerated stress test in order to reduce the test duration. To do that, I
need to plan how is possible to accelerate the router lifetime in order to
complete the test in a period shortly than the test based on the typical
workload. But, I don't want to know the MTBF using the stress condition -
this is not my reality ! I want to know the MTBF in typical condition. Then,
I get the MTBF using a stress condition and after I need to calculate the
MBTF considering the typical condition. The final result is that I reduced
the test duration in some order of magnitude and I got the MTBF for the
typical condition. In this situation I have a quantitative approach, because
I have the MTTF value. The above case I had a qualitative approach (Passed
or Failed).

Scott> BMWG is not a reliability group, so therefore does not produce
standards for MTBF, MTBCF, etc.

> Scott and other guys, please make your comments that will help me to
understand well the group view.

>Best regads,

>Rivalino

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Al Morton [mailto:[email-masked]]
Enviada em: sexta-feira, 26 de maio de 2006 12:59
Para: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Assunto: Re: [bmwg] ALT/ADT activities

At 10:07 AM 5/26/2006, Rivalino Matias Jr. wrote:
>In the context of this workgroup is there some activity focused on
>accelerated tests ?

Yes, we have
Terminology for Accelerated Stress Benchmarking
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-term-08.txt
and a methodology draft that recently expired:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/bmwg/draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-meth/draft-ietf-bmwg
-acc-bench-meth-04.txt

>I´m working on ALT (accelerated life tests) and ADT (accelerated
degradation
>tests) applied to software components, mainly DUT/SUT that is based on
>hardware and software embedded (e.g. switches, routers, firewalls, load
>balancers, etc.).

Great.  You've already joined the group (welcome!)
You can contribute by reading the drafts above and
providing your comments on the mailing list.

Al
bmwg co-chair

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg