Subject: RES: [bmwg] ALT/ADT activities

From: "Rivalino Matias Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:28:42 -0300

Hi List,

I read the material [1, 2] and bellow I'm sending my doubts and suggestions.
Also, I would like to make clear that some misinterpretation from my side is
possible due to the language, technical vocabulary, others.

a)	In [1], the term "Accelerated Life Benchmark" was used. I found it more
three or four times in the same text. What is the difference between
“Accelerated Stress Benchmark” and "Accelerated Life Benchmark" ? Also,
another related term was used in the same document: “Accelerated Stress
 Test”. Are those synonymous with each other?

b)	In [1], Appendix 1, the term “Memory” could be changed to “principal
memory” in order to avoid any doubts related to others types of memories,
such as flash memory.

c)	In the Abstract sections from [1] and [2], I got a little bit confused
with the following fragments:

“… This document provides the Terminology for performing Stress
   Benchmarking of networking devices.

The title of the document is: “Terminology for Accelerated Stress
Benchmarking”. Here is not clear the difference between “accelerated stress
benchmarking” and “stress benchmarking”. Is there difference in this
context?

d)	In [2], section 3.3, I suggest to substitute the term “repeatability” to
replication (“… for test replication when …”). IMHO, “replication” is more
used by the test literature (DOE, ALT, AST, etc.).

e)	In [2], regarding the term “degraded”, I have seen “degradated” in the
accelerated test literature. However, my native language is Portuguese and I
’m not sure about the best alternative.

f)	Basically, there are two purposes to do an accelerated life test that is
to conduct a qualitative or quantitative analysis. Normally, accelerated
stress test (AST) is focused on the qualitative analysis. Although it is
implicit when applying AST, I think it should be clear in the documents.
Also, I think that could be a good idea to extend the methodology to
consider quantitative analysis too. But, in this case a new approach will be
necessary, because AST is not adequate. ALT or ADT techniques are good
candidates.

I still reading the material in order to do new contributions. However, I
would like to listen from this list if I misunderstood something in order to
align my viewpoint with this group.

Best regards,

Rivalino

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Al Morton [mailto:[email-masked]]
Enviada em: sexta-feira, 26 de maio de 2006 12:59
Para: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Assunto: Re: [bmwg] ALT/ADT activities

At 10:07 AM 5/26/2006, Rivalino Matias Jr. wrote:
>In the context of this workgroup is there some activity focused on
>accelerated tests ?

Yes, we have
Terminology for Accelerated Stress Benchmarking
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-term-08.txt
and a methodology draft that recently expired:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/bmwg/draft-ietf-bmwg-acc-bench-meth/draft-ietf-bmwg
-acc-bench-meth-04.txt

>I´m working on ALT (accelerated life tests) and ADT (accelerated
degradation
>tests) applied to software components, mainly DUT/SUT that is based on
>hardware and software embedded (e.g. switches, routers, firewalls, load
>balancers, etc.).

Great.  You've already joined the group (welcome!)
You can contribute by reading the drafts above and
providing your comments on the mailing list.

Al
bmwg co-chair

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg