Subject: [bmwg] Document Action: 'Hash and Stuffing: Overlooked Factors in Network Device Benchmarking' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]> (by way of Al Morton <[email-masked]>)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:53:01 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Hash and Stuffing: Overlooked Factors in Network Device Benchmarking '

    <draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-08.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are David Kessens and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-08.txt

Technical Summary

  Test engineers take pains to declare all factors that affect a given
  measurement, including intended load, packet length, test duration,
  and traffic orientation. However, current benchmarking practice
  overlooks two factors that have a profound impact on test results.
  First, existing methodologies do not require the reporting of
  addresses or other test traffic contents, even though these fields
  can affect test results. Second, "stuff" bits and bytes inserted in
  test traffic by some link-layer technologies add significant and
  variable overhead, which in turn affects test results. This document
  describes the effects of these factors; recommends guidelines for
  test traffic contents; and offers formulas for determining the
  probability of bit- and byte-stuffing in test traffic.

Working Group Summary

  From the initial work proposal through the final WG Last Call, there was
  wide agreement that this work was important for BMWG in that it added
  key testing considerations to our body of literature.

Protocol Quality

  David Kessens reviewed this document for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg