Subject: [bmwg] Updated:draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt

From: "Silvija Andrijic Dry (sdry)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:46:14 -0500

Hi BMWG members,

We would like to solicit your feedback on the new version of MVPN
scalability benchmarking proposal:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt

Note that in rev 03 we made couple of major changes based on feedback
from IETF68, namely:
- scope is modified to include both generic sections applicable to all
MVPN architectures specified in "draft-ietf- l3vpn-2547bis-mcast" and
sections specific to widely deployed "rosen-8" architecture 
- metric is changed to be architecture agnostic
- text is rewritten to address changed scope of the document

We are looking forward to the discussion in Vancouver. And for those of
you that won't be able to attend the meeting we would greatly appreciate
your comments sent to the mailing list.

Thanks,
Authors

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 2:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Multicast VPN Scalability Benchmarking
	Author(s)	: S. Dry, et al.
	Filename	: draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt
	Pages		: 44
	Date		: 2007-11-9
	
Multicast VPN (MVPN) is a service deployed by VPN service providers 
   to enable their customers to use IP multicast applications over VPNs.

   With the increased popularity the scalability of deploying such a 
   service is becoming of a great interest. This document defines 
   standard metric and test methodology for characterizing and comparing

   control plane MVPN scalability of Provider Edge (PE) devices that 
   implement MVPN service.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg

---

From: "Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:12:51 +0100

Hi Silvija and author team,

Nice document.

Would it be desirable (possible) to have the work IP version agnostic? 

It is a brief question, but 'if' IPv6 gets full addoption the
impact/value 
of the draft is amplified. If it is not within the forecasted scope 
then maybe a note in abstract or the introduction could have value?

Nice to see this work happening,
Groetjes,
G/

-----Original Message-----
From: Silvija Andrijic Dry (sdry) 
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: NAPIERALA, MARIA H, ATTLABS
Subject: [bmwg] Updated:draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt 

Hi BMWG members,

Thanks,
Authors

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 2:15 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt 

	

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then "get
draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: "Rajiv Asati (rajiva)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:06:21 -0500

Dear Authors,

This document has shaped up really well. Few minor comments -

1) In Abstract and Introduction, special attention is given to the
'standard metric' in addition to the test methodology. 

I wonder whether it is necessary. The variables refered to by the metric
are used as the setup input(s) to the methodology, and implicitly
covered within. Is there more to it?  

2) The document uses the term 'metric', which may confuse those who
perceive 'metric' as a real nonnegative number analogous to link metric
(say). 

Perhaps, the intention was to use 'matrix' term instead!!

3) While having route-reflector in the test topology is desirable, I
wonder whether it needs to be mandatory!! Perhaps, a bit of
clarification would be helpful.

	There are no of providers (albeit small) who don't 
	utilize route-reflector, and may be interested in
	this work. 

4) On IPv6, I agree with Gunter. A clarification in this draft would be
good to include.  

Although, I thought that draft-ietf-l3vpn-2547bis-mcast-05.txt was
either IP version agnostic or included consideration for IPv6, if any,
but that didn't seem the case.

5) It is important that the document provides flexibility to select one
of MVPN architectures (specified in "rosen-8" architecture" or
"draft-ietf- l3vpn-2547bis-mcast") for the mVPN benchmarking. It would
be sub-optimal to benchmark each and every mVPN architecture when there
is just one (or few) architecture being deployed.

Lastly, this draft provides value to the network operators deploying or
planning to deploy mVPN.

Cheers,
Rajiv

> From: Gunter Van de Velde (gvandeve) 
> Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:13 AM
> To: Silvija Andrijic Dry (sdry); [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [bmwg] Updated:draft-sdry-bmwg-mvpnscale-03.txt 
>