Subject: [bmwg] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-player-dcb-benchmarking-04

From: David Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 17:51:10 -0700

bmwg,

Version -04 of the DCB draft is now available here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-player-dcb-benchmarking-04

This version updates section 5.1.3.1, in which we recommend the use of
the cut-through (FIFO) method when comparing latency of devices with
cut-through and store-and-forward architectures.

Earlier versions of the draft recommended using the LILO method as
recommended in the RFC 4689 discussion of forwarding delay. LILO and
FIFO measurements should be virtually identical, but FIFO is more
consistent with the existing definitions in RFC 1242.

We welcome your comments on this draft, and (as Al requested) on whether
the bmwg should adopt this draft as a work item.

Timmons C. Player
David Newman

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-player-dcb-benchmarking-04
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:47:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-player-dcb-benchmarking-04.txt has been
successfully submitted by David Newman and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-player-dcb-benchmarking
Revision:	 04
Title:		 Bridge Out: Benchmarking Methodology Extensions for Data Center
Bridging Devices
Creation_date:	 2011-04-18
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 18

Abstract:
Existing benchmarking methodologies are based on the assumption that
networking devices will impartially drop network traffic at their
performance limits.  Data Center Bridging (DCB) devices, however,
will attempt to throttle prioritized traffic from network endpoints
before those limits are reached in order to minimize the probability
of frame loss for high value traffic.  Hence, existing methodologies
based around indiscriminate frame loss are inappropriate for DCB
devices.  This document takes the basic benchmarking ideas based on
loss and extends them to support "lossless" Ethernet devices.

The IETF Secretariat.