Subject: [bmwg] Document Action: 'Benchmarking Methodology for Link-State IGP Data Plane Route Convergence' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-bmwg-igp-dataplane-conv-meth-23.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:55:46 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Benchmarking Methodology for Link-State IGP Data Plane Route
   Convergence'
  (draft-ietf-bmwg-igp-dataplane-conv-meth-23.txt) as an Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-igp-dataplane-conv-meth/

All BMWG RFCs are Informational, but they are implemented by
test equipment vendors and cited in trade publications and
advertisements.

Technical Summary

This set of memos describes the process for benchmarking IGP
Route Convergence as described in the Applicability memo.
This approach measures convergence time in the dataplane,
and treats the Device Under Test as a Black Box.
The methodology and terminology memos define the metrics and
process for benchmarking route convergence that can be applied
to any link-state IGP such as ISIS and OSPF.

WG Summary

The drafts received extensive comment and review since their
initial acceptance on the WG charter in 2003.
Many active WG members affirmed that this set of drafts
were ready for publication (WGLC in October, 2005).
There was a subsequent cross-area review that resulted in
additional minor revisions, discussed and agreed by the WG.

Protocol Summary

These methods have been performed in at least one lab,
and review comments were posted based on that experience.
Several test equipment vendors commented actively during the WG
development.

RFC EDITOR NOTES

Section 1.2

OLD

The contribution of each of these factors listed above will vary with each 
router vendors' architecture and IGP implementation. Routers may have a 
centralized forwarding architecture, in which one forwarding table is 
calculated and referenced for all arriving packets, or a distributed 
forwarding architecture, in which the central forwarding table is calculated 
and distributed to the interfaces for local look-up as packets arrive. 
The distributed forwarding tables are typically maintained in hardware.

NEW

The contribution of each of these factors listed above will vary with each 
router vendors' architecture and IGP implementation. Routers may have a 
centralized forwarding architecture, in which one forwarding table is 
calculated and referenced for all arriving packets, or a distributed 
forwarding architecture, in which the central forwarding table is calculated 
and distributed to the interfaces for local look-up as packets arrive. 
The distributed forwarding tables are typically maintained 
(loaded and changed) in software.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Section 7

OLD
For each test case, it is RECOMMENDED that the reporting tables below 
be completed and all time values SHOULD be reported with 
a sufficiently high resolution.

NEW
For each test case, it is RECOMMENDED that the reporting tables below 
be completed and all time values SHOULD be reported with 
a sufficiently high resolution (fractions of a second sufficient to 
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
distinguish significant differences between measured values).
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:13:10 -0400

Thanks to the Authors for their persistence to complete
this, one of our longest-lived tasks.

One log-jam cleared.
Al
bmwg chair

At 01:55 PM 8/29/2011, The IESG wrote: (same for -term-23)

---

From: "Scott Poretsky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:50:12 +0300

Thank you Al!  You were a key member of the team to get this from agenda
proposal to RFC.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Al Morton
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:13 AM
To: bmwg mailing list
Subject: [bmwg] ... for Link-State IGP Data Plane Route Convergence'

One log-jam cleared.
Al
bmwg chair

>This document is the product of the Benchmarking Methodology Working

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg
##############################################################################################
This message is intended only for the designated recipient(s).It may contain confidential or proprietary information.
If you are not the designated recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message.
If you have mistakenly received this message, please notify the sender by a reply e-mail and delete this message. 
Thank you.
##############################################################################################