Subject: [bmwg] Deborah Brungard's Block on charter-ietf-bmwg-07-00: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

From: Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 14:14:18 -0700

Deborah Brungard has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-bmwg-07-00: Block

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-bmwg/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOCK:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to do this as a block after doing a scan of the milestone document on
"network service layer abstraction model". It is only an individual document
(though with a milestone of Dec 2018), so it may be early to extrapolate what
is the intention. The document in its current state directly overlaps/conflicts
with work on-going in both ccamp and teas as it is modeling services and
layered networks as an abstraction. It seems to go way beyond the charter of
the bmwg, not only in the modeling, but also with statements on requirements
"SHALL be used for outline service requirements from customer perspective".
There is nothing in the charter text describing the intention of the work.

For both EVPN and this milestone, text needs to be added to the charter to
describe this work's intended scope so as to clearly scope it as bm. Listing
the two documents as milestones is not sufficient. As Alvaro noted, a sentence
needs to be added to say work will be coordinated with appropriate working
groups.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The milestones for documents existing today as individual documents seem
overzealous as almost all items finish Dec 2018. And nothing pass Dec 2018.