Subject: WG Last Call: Router Benchmark Proposals

From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:53:35 -0400

BMWG,

Previously, two proposals on Router Benchmarking had been offered
to the BMWG for consideration as new work items.

In short, one proposal was for a specific set of router metrics regarding 
the benchmarking of forwarding capability as a function of forwarding
table manipulation; the other proposal offered the determination of a
framework document outlining future router benchmarking work.  The
detailed proposals can be found from the BMWG mailing list archive:

   http://www.alvestrand.no/archives/bmwg/bmwg.0003

As the minutes indicate, there was a discussion that addressed the
possible actions on the _approaches_ suggested by each proposal - 1) work 
on the proposed, narrow router benchmarking area, 2) work on determining a 
more comprehensive framework for router benchmarks to assist in scoping, 
3) undertake both proposals, or 4) undertake none of the proposals.

It was the general impression of the meeting's attendees that because 
the Forwarding Table-based Router benchmarks could be a valid subset of 
Framework effort, both exercises could and should be undertaken in parallel.

If anyone feels that THIS WORK SHOULD NOT BE UNDERTAKEN as described earlier
on this list, please SEND EMAIL to the list or [email-masked] with any
technical concerns, no later than 27 April 00.

Thanks.