Subject: BMWG I-D revision: <draft-ietf-bmwg-mswitch-04.txt>]

From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:03:35 -0400

Network Working Group                                      R. Mandeville
Internet-Draft                             European Network Laboratories
Expiration Date: October 2000                                  J. Perser
                                                          Netcom Systems
                                                              April 2000

           Benchmarking Methodology for LAN Switching Devices
                    <draft-ietf-bmwg-mswitch-04.txt>

Status of this Memo

  This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
  all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

  Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
  Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
  other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
  Drafts.

  Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
  and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
  time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
  material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

  The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
  http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

  The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
  http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Table of Contents
 
1. Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  2
2. Requirements . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  2
3. Test setup . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  2
4. Frame formats and sizes  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
5. Benchmarking Tests . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   5.1  Fully meshed throughput, frame loss and forwarding rates  . .  4
   5.2  Partially meshed one-to-many/many-to-one  . . . . . . . . . .  7
   5.3  Partially meshed multiple devices . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
   5.4  Partially meshed unidirectional traffic . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   5.5  Congestion Control  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
   5.6  Forward Pressure and Maximum Forwarding Rate  . . . . . . . . 19
   5.7  Address caching capacity  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21
   5.8  Address learning rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
   5.9  Errored frames filtering. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26
   5.10 Broadcast frame Forwarding and Latency  . . . . . . . . . . . 28
6. Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29
7. References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29
8. Authors' Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30
   Appendix A: Formulas . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 31
   Appendix B: Generating Offered Load  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 33

Mandeville, Perser                                              [Page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

1. Introduction

   This document is intended to provide methodology for the benchmarking
   of local area network (LAN) switching devices.  It extends the
   methodology already defined for benchmarking network interconnecting
   devices in RFC 2544 [3] to switching devices.

   This RFC primarily deals with devices which switch frames at the
   Medium Access Control (MAC) layer. It provides a methodology for
   benchmarking switching devices, forwarding performance, congestion
   control, latency, address handling and filtering. In addition to
   defining the tests, this document also describes specific formats for
   reporting the results of the tests.
   
   A previous document, "Benchmarking Terminology for LAN Switching
   Devices" [2], defined many of the terms that are used in this
   document.  The terminology document SHOULD be consulted before
   attempting to make use of this document.

2. Requirements

   The following RFCs SHOULD be consulted before attempting to make use
   of this document: RFC 1242 [1], RFC 2285 [2], and RFC 2544 [3].

   For the sake of clarity and continuity, this RFC adopts the template
   for benchmarking tests set out in Section 26 of RFC 2544.

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in
   this document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

3. Test setup

   This document extends the general test setup described in section 6
   of RFC 2544 [3] to the benchmarking of LAN switching devices.
   RFC 2544 [3] primarily describes non-meshed traffic where input and
   output interfaces  are grouped in mutually exclusive sending and
   receiving pairs.  In fully meshed traffic, each interface of a
   DUT/SUT is set up to both receive and transmit frames to all the
   other interfaces under test.

Mandeville, Perser                                              [Page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

   Prior to each test run, the DUT/SUT MUST learn the MAC addresses used
   in the test and the address learning SHOULD be verified.  Addresses
   not learned will be forwarded as flooded frames and reduce the amount
   of correctly forwarded frames.  The rate at which address learning
   frames are offered may have to be adjusted to be as low as 50 frames
   per second or even less, to guarantee successful learning.  The
   DUT/SUT address aging time SHOULD be configured to be greater than
   the period of the learning phase of the test plus the trial duration
   plus any configuration time required by the testing device.
   Addresses SHOULD NOT age out until the trial duration is completed.
   More than one learning trial may be needed for the association of the
   address to the port to occur.

   If a DUT/SUT uses a hashing algorithm with address learning, the
   DUT/SUT may not learn the necessary addresses to perform the tests.
   The format of the MAC addresses MUST be adjustable so that the
   address mapping may be re-arranged to ensure that the DUT/SUT learns
   all the addresses.

4.  Frame formats and sizes

   The test frame format is defined in RFC 2544 section 8 [3] and MUST
   contain a unique signature field located in the UDP DATA area of the
   Test Frame (see Appendix C [3]).  The purpose of the signature field
   is filter out frames that are not part of the offered load.

   The signature field MUST be unique enough to identify the frames not
   originating from the DUT/SUT.  The signature field SHOULD be located
   after byte 56 (collision window [4] ) or at the end of the frame.  
   The length, contents and method of detection is not defined in this
   memo.

   The signature field MAY have a unique identifier per port.  This
   would filter out misforwarded frames.  It is possible for a DUT/SUT
   to strip off the MAC layer, send it through its switching matrix,
   and transmit it out with the correct destination MAC address but the
   wrong payload.

   For frame sizes, refer to RFC 2544, section 9 [3].

   There are three possible frame formats for layer 2 Ethernet switches:
   standard MAC Ethernet frames, standard MAC Ethernet frames with
   vendor-specific tags added to them, and IEEE 802.3ac frames tagged to
   accommodate 802.1p&Q.  The two types of tagged frames may exceed the
   standard maximum length frame of 1518 bytes, and may not be accepted
   by the interface controllers of some DUT/SUTs. It is recommended to
   check the compatibility of the DUT/SUT with tagged frames before
   testing.

Mandeville, Perser                                              [Page 3]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

   Devices switching tagged frames of over 1518 bytes will have a
   different maximum forwarding rate than untagged frames.

5. Benchmarking Tests

   The following tests offer objectives, procedures, and reporting
   formats for benchmarking LAN switching devices.

5.1  Fully meshed throughput, frame loss and forwarding rates

5.1.1 Objective

   To determine the throughput, frame loss and forwarding rates of
   DUT/SUTs offered fully meshed traffic as defined in RFC 2285 [2].

5.1.2 Setup Parameters

   When offering full meshed traffic, the following parameters MUST be
   defined.  Each parameter is configured with the following
   considerations.

      Frame Size - Recommended frame sizes are 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024,
      1280 and 1518 bytes, per RFC 2544 section 9 [3].  The four CRC
      bytes are included in the frame size specified.

      Interframe Gap (IFG) - The IFG between frames inside a burst
      MUST be at the minimum specified by the standard (9.6 us for
      10Mbps Ethernet, 960 ns for 100Mbps Ethernet, and 96 ns for 
      1 Gbps Ethernet) of the medium being tested.

      Duplex mode - Half duplex or full duplex.

      ILoad - Intended Load per port is expressed in a percentage of the
      medium's maximum theoretical load, regardless of traffic
      orientation or duplex mode.  Certain test configurations will
      theoretically over-subscribe the DUT/SUT.

      In half duplex, an ILoad over 50% will over-subscribe the DUT/SUT.

      Burst Size - The burst size defines the number of frames sent
      back-to-back at the minimum legal IFG [4] before pausing
      transmission to receive frames.  Burst sizes SHOULD vary between 1
      and 930 frames.  A burst size of 1 will simulate constant load
      [1].

      Addresses per port - Represents the number of addresses which
      are being tested for each port.  Number of addresses SHOULD be a
      binary exponential (i.e. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, ...).
      Recommended value is 1.

Mandeville, Perser                                              [Page 4]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

      Trial Duration - The recommended Trial Duration is 30 seconds.
      Trial duration SHOULD be adjustable between 1 and 300 seconds.

5.1.3 Procedure

   All ports on the tester MUST transmit test frames either in a Frame
   Based or Time Based mode (Appendix B).  All ports SHOULD start
   transmitting their frames within 1% of the trial duration.  For a
   trial duration of 30 seconds, all ports SHOULD have started
   transmitting frames within 300 milliseconds of each other.

   Each port in the test MUST send test frames to all other ports in a
   round robin type fashion.  The sequence of addresses MUST NOT change
   when congestion control is applied.  The following table shows how
   each port in a test MUST transmit test frames to all other ports in
   the test.  In this example, there are six ports with 1 address per
   port:

   Source Port       Destination Ports (in order of transmission)

   Port #1           2       3       4       5       6       2...
   Port #2           3       4       5       6       1       3...
   Port #3           4       5       6       1       2       4...
   Port #4           5       6       1       2       3       5...
   Port #5           6       1       2       3       4       6...
   Port #6           1       2       3       4       5       1...
 
   As shown in the table, there is an equal distribution of destination
   addresses for each transmit opportunity. This keeps the test balanced
   so that one destination port is not overloaded by the test algorithm
   and all ports are equally and fully loaded throughout the test.  Not
   following this algorithm exactly will produce inconsistent results.

   For tests using multiple addresses per port, the actual port 
   destinations are the same as described above and the actual
   source/destination address pairs SHOULD be chosen randomly to
   exercise the DUT/SUT's ability to perform address lookups.

   For every address, learning frames MUST be sent to the DUT/SUT to
   allow the DUT/SUT update its address tables properly.

5.1.4 Measurements

   Each port should receive the same number of test frames that it
   transmitted.  Each receiving port MUST categorize, then count the
   frames into one of two groups:
 
      1.) Received Frames: received frames MUST have the correct
          destination MAC address and SHOULD match a signature field.

      2.) Flood count [2].

Mandeville, Perser                                              [Page 5]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

   Any frame originating from the DUT/SUT (spanning tree, SNMP, RIP,
   ...) MUST not be counted as a received frame.  Frames originating
   from the DUT/SUT MAY be counted as flooded frames or not counted at
   all.

   Frame loss rate of the DUT/SUT SHOULD be reported as defined in
   section 26.3 [3] with the following notes: Frame loss rate SHOULD be
   measured at the end of the trail duration.  The term "rate", for this
   measurement only, does not imply the units in the fashion of "per
   second."

5.1.4.1 Throughput

   Throughput measurement is defined in section 26.1 [3].  A search
   algorithm is employed to find the maximum Oload [2] with a zero Frame
   loss rate [1].  The algorithm MUST adjust Iload to find the
   throughput.

5.1.4.2 Forwarding Rate

   Forwarding rate (FR) of the DUT/SUT SHOULD be reported as the number
   of test frames per second that the device is observed to successfully
   forward to the correct destination interface in response to a
   specified Oload.  The Oload MUST also be cited.

   Forwarding rate at maximum offered load (FRMOL) MUST be reported
   as the number of test frames per second that a device can
   successfully transmit to the correct destination interface in
   response to the MOL as defined in section 3.6 [2]. The MOL MUST also
   be cited.

   Maximum forwarding rate (MFR) MUST be reported as the highest
   forwarding rate of a DUT/SUT taken from an iterative set of
   forwarding rate measurements.  The iterative set of forwarding rate
   measurements are made by adjusting Iload.  The Oload applied to the
   device MUST also be cited.

5.1.5 Reporting format

   The results for these tests SHOULD be reported in the form of a
   graph.  The x coordinate SHOULD be the frame size, the y coordinate
   SHOULD be the test results.  There SHOULD be at least two lines on
   the graph, one plotting the theoretical and one plotting the test
   results.

   To measure the DUT/SUT's ability to switch traffic while performing
   many different address lookups, the number of addresses per port
   MAY be increased in a series of tests.

Mandeville, Perser                                              [Page 6]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.2  Partially meshed one-to-many/many-to-one 

5.2.1 Objective

   To determine the throughput when transmitting from/to multiple ports
   and to/from one port. As with the fully meshed throughput test, this
   test is a measure of the capability of the DUT to switch frames
   without frame loss.  Results of this test can be used to determine
   the ability of the DUT to utilize an Ethernet port when switching
   traffic from multiple Ethernet ports. 

5.2.2 Setup Parameters

   When offering bursty meshed traffic, the following parameters MUST
   be defined.  Each parameter is configured with the following
   considerations.

      Frame Size - Recommended frame sizes are 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024,
      1280 and 1518 bytes, per RFC 2544 section 9 [3].  The four CRC
      bytes are included in the frame size specified.

      Traffic Direction - Traffic can be generated in one direction, the
      reverse direction, or both directions.

      Interframe Gap (IFG) - The IFG between frames inside a burst
      MUST be at the minimum specified by the standard (9.6 us for
      10Mbps Ethernet, 960 ns for 100Mbps Ethernet, and 96 ns for 
      1 Gbps Ethernet) of the medium being tested.

      Duplex mode - Half duplex or full duplex.

      ILoad - Intended Load per port is expressed in a percentage of the
      medium's maximum theoretical load, regardless of traffic
      orientation or duplex mode.  Certain test configurations will
      theoretically over-subscribe the DUT/SUT.

      In half duplex bidirectional traffic, an ILoad over 50% will over-
      subscribe the DUT/SUT.

      Burst Size - The burst size defines the number of frames sent
      back-to-back at the minimum legal IFG [4] before pausing
      transmission to receive frames.  Burst sizes SHOULD vary between 1
      and 930 frames.  A burst size of 1 will simulate constant load
      [1].

      Addresses per port - Represents the number of addresses which
      are being tested for each port.  Number of addresses SHOULD be a
      binary exponential (i.e. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, ...).
      Recommended value is 1.

Mandeville, Perser                                              [Page 7]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

      Trial Duration - The recommended Trial Duration is 30 seconds.
      Trial duration SHOULD be adjustable between 1 and 300 seconds.

5.2.3 Procedure

   All ports on the tester MUST transmit test frames either in a Frame
   Based or Time Based mode (Appendix B).  Depending upon traffic
   direction, some or all of the ports will be transmitting.  All ports
   SHOULD start transmitting their frames within 1% of the trial
   duration.  For a trial duration of 30 seconds, all ports SHOULD have
   started transmitting frames within 300 milliseconds of each other.

   Test frames transmitted from the Many Ports MUST be destined to the
   One port.  Test frames transmitted from the One Port MUST be destined
   to the Many ports in a round robin type fashion.  See section 5.1.3
   for a description of the round robin fashion.  

   For tests using multiple addresses per port, the actual port 
   destinations are the same as described above and the actual
   source/destination address pairs SHOULD be chosen randomly to
   exercise the DUT/SUT's ability to perform address lookups.

        +----------+               
        |          |               
        |   Many   | <--------     
        |          |          \    
        +----------+           \   
                                \  
        +----------+             \               +-------------+ 
        |          |              ------------>  |             | 
        |   Many   |  <----------------------->  |     One     | 
        |          |              ------------>  |             | 
        +----------+             /               +-------------+ 
                                /  
        +----------+           /   
        |          |          /    
        |   Many   |  <-------     
        |          |               
        +----------+               

   For every address, the testing device MUST send learning frames to
   allow the DUT/SUT to update its address tables properly.

Mandeville, Perser                                              [Page 8]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.2.4 Measurements

   Each receiving port MUST categorize, then count the frames into one
   of two groups:

      1.) Received Frames: received frames MUST have the correct
          destination MAC address and SHOULD match a signature field.

      2.) Flood count [2].

   Any frame originating from the DUT/SUT MUST not be counted as a
   received frame.  Frames originating from the DUT/SUT MAY be counted
   as flooded frames or not counted at all.

   Forwarding rate (FR) of the DUT/SUT SHOULD be reported as the number
   of test frames per second that the device is observed to successfully
   transmit to the correct destination interface in response to a
   specified Oload.  The Oload MUST also be cited.

   Forwarding rate at maximum offered load (FRMOL) MUST be reported
   as the number of test frames per second that a device can
   successfully transmit to the correct destination interface in
   response to the MOL as defined in section 3.6 [2]. The MOL MUST also
   be cited.

   Maximum forwarding rate (MFR) MUST be reported as the highest
   forwarding rate of a DUT/SUT taken from an iterative set of
   forwarding rate measurements.  The iterative set of forwarding rate
   measurements are made by adjusting Iload.  The Oload applied to the
   device MUST also be cited.

5.2.5 Reporting Format

   The results for these tests SHOULD be reported in the form of a
   graph.  The x coordinate SHOULD be the frame size, the y coordinate
   SHOULD be the test results.  There SHOULD be at least two lines on
   the graph, one plotting the theoretical and one plotting the test
   results.

   To measure the DUT/SUT's ability to switch traffic while performing
   many different address lookups, the number of addresses per port
   MAY be increased in a series of tests.

Mandeville, Perser                                              [Page 9]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.3 Partially meshed multiple devices

5.3.1 Objective

   To determine the throughput, frame loss and forwarding rates of two
   switching devices equipped with multiple ports and one high speed
   backbone uplink (Gigabit Ethernet, ATM, SONET).

5.3.2 Setup Parameters

   When offering bursty partially meshed traffic, the following
   parameters MUST be defined.  Each variable is configured with the
   following considerations.

      Frame Size - Recommended frame sizes are 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024,
      1280 and 1518 bytes, per RFC 2544 section 9 [3].  The four CRC
      bytes are included in the frame size specified.

      Interframe Gap (IFG) - The IFG between frames inside a burst
      MUST be at the minimum specified by the standard (9.6 us for
      10Mbps Ethernet, 960 ns for 100Mbps Ethernet, and 96 ns for 
      1 Gbps Ethernet) of the medium being tested.

      Duplex mode - Half duplex or full duplex.

      ILoad - Intended Load per port is expressed in a percentage of the
      medium's maximum theoretical load, regardless of traffic
      orientation or duplex mode.  Certain test configurations will
      theoretically over-subscribe the DUT/SUT.

      In half duplex, an ILoad over 50% will over-subscribe the DUT/SUT.

      Burst Size - The burst size defines the number of frames sent
      back-to-back at the minimum legal IFG [4] before pausing
      transmission to receive frames.  Burst sizes SHOULD vary between 1
      and 930 frames.  A burst size of 1 will simulate constant load
      [1].

      Addresses per port - Represents the number of addresses which
      are being tested for each port.  Number of addresses SHOULD be a
      binary exponential (i.e. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, ...).
      Recommended value is 1.

      Trial Duration - The recommended Trial Duration is 30 seconds.
      Trial duration SHOULD be adjustable between 1 and 300 seconds.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 10]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

        Local Traffic - A Boolean value of ON or OFF.  The frame sequence
      algorithm MAY be altered to remove local traffic.  With local
      traffic ON, the algorithm is exactly the same as a fully meshed
      throughput.  With local traffic OFF, the port sends frames to all
      other ports on the other side of the backbone uplink in a round
      robin type fashion.

5.3.3 Procedure

   All ports on the tester MUST transmit test frames either in a Frame
   Based or Time Based mode (Appendix B).  All ports SHOULD start
   transmitting their frames within 1% of the trial duration.  For a
   trial duration of 30 seconds, all ports SHOULD have started
   transmitting frames with 300 milliseconds of each other.

   Each port in the test MUST send test frames to all other ports in a
   round robin type fashion as defined in section 5.1.3.  Local traffic
   MAY be removed from the round robin list in order to send the entire
   load across the backbone uplink.

   For tests using multiple addresses per port, the actual port 
   destinations are the same as described above and the actual
   source/destination address pairs SHOULD be chosen randomly to
   exercise the DUT/SUT's ability to perform address lookups.

   For every address, the testing device MUST send learning frames to
   allow the DUT/SUT to update its address tables properly.

   To measure the DUT/SUT's ability to switch traffic while performing
   many different address lookups, the number of addresses per port
   MAY be increased in a series of tests.

5.3.4 Measurements

   Each receiving port MUST categorize, then count the frames into one
   of two groups:
 
      1.) Received frames MUST have the correct destination MAC address 
          and SHOULD match a signature field.

      2.) Flood count [2].

   Any frame originating from the DUT/SUT MUST not be counted as a
   received frame.  Frames originating from the DUT/SUT MAY be counted
   as flooded frames or not counted at all.

   Frame loss rate of the DUT/SUT SHOULD be reported as defined in
   section 26.3 [3] with the following notes: Frame loss rate SHOULD be
   measured at the end of the trial duration.  The term "rate", for this
   measurement only, does not imply the units in the fashion of "per
   second."

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 11]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.3.4.1 Throughput

   Throughput measurement is defined in section 26.1 [3].  A search
   algorithm is employed to find the maximum Oload [2] with a zero Frame
   loss rate [1].  The algorithm MUST adjust Iload to find the
   throughput.

5.3.4.2 Forwarding rate

   Forwarding rate (FR) of the DUT/SUT SHOULD be reported as the number
   of test frames per second that the device is observed to successfully
   forward to the correct destination interface in response to a
   specified Oload.  The Oload MUST also be cited.

   Forwarding rate at maximum offered load (FRMOL) MUST be reported
   as the number of test frames per second that a device can
   successfully transmit to the correct destination interface in
   response to the MOL as defined in section 3.6 [2]. The MOL MUST also
   be cited.

   Maximum forwarding rate (MFR) MUST be reported as the highest
   forwarding rate of a DUT/SUT taken from an iterative set of
   forwarding rate measurements.  The iterative set of forwarding rate
   measurements are made by adjusting Iload.  The Oload applied to the
   device MUST also be cited.

5.3.5 Reporting format

   The results for these tests SHOULD be reported in the form of a
   graph.  The x coordinate SHOULD be the frame size, the y coordinate
   SHOULD be the test results.  There SHOULD be at least two lines on
   the graph, one plotting the theoretical and one plotting the test
   results.

   To measure the DUT/SUT's ability to switch traffic while performing
   many different address lookups, the number of addresses per port
   MAY be increased in a series of tests.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 12]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.4 Partially meshed unidirectional traffic 

5.4.1 Objective

   To determine the throughput of the DUT/SUT when presented multiple
   streams of unidirectional traffic with half of the ports on the
   DUT/SUT are transmitting frames destined to the other half of the
   ports.

5.4.2 Setup Parameters

   The following parameters MUST be defined.  Each variable is
   configured with the following considerations.

      Frame Size - Recommended frame sizes are 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024,
      1280 and 1518 bytes, per RFC 2544 section 9 [3].  The four CRC
      bytes are included in the frame size specified.

      Interframe Gap (IFG) - The IFG between frames inside a burst
      MUST be at the minimum specified by the standard (9.6 us for
      10Mbps Ethernet, 960 ns for 100Mbps Ethernet, and 96 ns for 
      1 Gbps Ethernet) of the medium being tested.

      Duplex mode - Half duplex or full duplex.

      ILoad - Intended Load per port is expressed in a percentage of the
      medium's maximum theoretical load, regardless of traffic
      orientation or duplex mode.  Certain test configurations will
      theoretically over-subscribe the DUT/SUT.

      ILoad will not over-subscribe the DUT/SUT in this test.

      Burst Size - The burst size defines the number of frames sent
      back-to-back at the minimum legal IFG [4] before pausing
      transmission to receive frames.  Burst sizes SHOULD vary between 1
      and 930 frames.  A burst size of 1 will simulate constant load
      [1].

      Addresses per port - Represents the number of addresses which
      are being tested for each port.  Number of addresses SHOULD be a
      binary exponential (i.e. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, ...).
      Recommended value is 1.

      Trial Duration - The recommended Trial Duration is 30 seconds.
      Trial duration SHOULD be adjustable between 1 and 300 seconds.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 13]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.4.3 Procedure
  
   Ports do not send and receive test frames simultaneously.  As a
   consequence, there should be no collisions unless the DUT is
   misforwarding frames, generating flooded or Spanning-Tree frames or
   is enabling some flow control mechanism.  Ports used for this test
   are either transmitting or receiving, but not both. Those ports which
   are transmitting send test frames destined to addresses corresponding
   to each of the ports receiving.  This creates a unidirectional mesh
   of traffic.

   All ports on the tester MUST transmit test frames either in a Frame
   Based or Time Based mode (Appendix B).  All ports SHOULD start
   transmitting their frames within 1% of the trial duration.  For a
   trial duration of 30 seconds, all ports SHOULD have started
   transmitting frames with 300 milliseconds of each other.

   Each transmitting port in the test MUST send frames to all receiving
   ports in a round robin type fashion.  The sequence of addresses MUST
   NOT change when congestion control is applied.   The following table
   shows how each port in a test MUST transmit test frames to all other
   ports in the test.  In this 8 port example, port 1 through 4 are
   transmitting and ports 5 through 8 are receiving; each with 1 address
   per port:

   Source Port, then Destination Ports (in order of transmission)

   Port #1              5       6       7       8       5       6...
   Port #2              6       7       8       5       6       7...
   Port #3              7       8       5       6       7       8...
   Port #4              8       5       6       7       8       5...

   As shown in the table, there is an equal distribution of destination
   addresses for each transmit opportunity. This keeps the test balanced
   so that one destination port is not overloaded by the test algorithm
   and all receiving ports are equally and fully loaded throughout the
   test.  Not following this algorithm exactly will product inconsistent
   results.

   For tests using multiple addresses per port, the actual port
   destinations are the same as described above and the actual
   source/destination address pairs SHOULD be chosen randomly to
   exercise the DUT/SUT's ability to perform address lookups.

   For every address, the testing device MUST send learning frames to
   allow the DUT/SUT to load its address tables properly.  The address
   table's aging time SHOULD be set sufficiently longer than the
   learning time and trial duration time combined.  If the address table
   ages out during the test, the results will show a lower performing
   DUT/SUT.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 14]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

   To measure the DUT/SUT's ability to switch traffic while performing
   many different address lookups, the number of addresses per port
   MAY be increased in a series of tests.

5.4.4 Measurements

   Each receiving port MUST categorize, then count the frames into one
   of two groups:
 
      1.) Received Frames: received frames MUST have the correct
          destination MAC address and SHOULD match a signature field.

      2.) Flood count [2].

   Any frame originating from the DUT/SUT MUST not be counted as a
   received frame.  Frames originating from the DUT/SUT MAY be counted
   as flooded frames or not counted at all.

   Frame loss rate of the DUT/SUT SHOULD be reported as defined in
   section 26.3 [3] with the following notes: Frame loss rate SHOULD be
   measured at the end of the trial duration.  The term "rate", for this
   measurement only, does not imply the units in the fashion of "per
   second."

5.4.4.1 Throughput

   Throughput measurement is defined in section 26.1 [3].  A search
   algorithm is employed to find the maximum Oload [2] with a zero Frame
   loss rate [1].  The algorithm MUST adjust Iload to find the
   throughput.

5.4.4.2 Forwarding rate

   Forwarding rate (FR) of the DUT/SUT SHOULD be reported as the number
   of test frames per second that the device is observed to successfully
   forward to the correct destination interface in response to a
   specified Oload.  The Oload MUST also be cited.

   Forwarding rate at maximum offered load (FRMOL) MUST be reported
   as the number of test frames per second that a device can
   successfully transmit to the correct destination interface in
   response to the MOL as defined in section 3.6 [2]. The MOL MUST also
   be cited.

   Maximum forwarding rate (MFR) MUST be reported as the highest
   forwarding rate of a DUT/SUT taken from an iterative set of
   forwarding rate measurements.  The iterative set of forwarding rate
   measurements are made by adjusting Iload.  The Oload applied to the
   device MUST also be cited.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 15]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.4.5 Reporting format

   The results for these tests SHOULD be reported in the form of a
   graph.  The x coordinate SHOULD be the frame size, the y coordinate
   SHOULD be the test results.  There SHOULD be at least two lines on
   the graph, one plotting the theoretical and one plotting the test
   results.

   To measure the DUT/SUT's ability to switch traffic while performing
   many different address lookups, the number of addresses per port
   MAY be increased in a series of tests.

5.5 Congestion Control

5.5.1 Objective

   To determine how a DUT handles congestion.  Does the device implement
   congestion control and does congestion on one port affect an
   uncongested port.  This procedure determines if Head of Line Blocking
   and/or Backpressure are present.

5.5.2 Setup Parameters

   The following parameters MUST be defined.  Each variable is
   configured with the following considerations.

      Frame Size - Recommended frame sizes are 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024,
      1280 and 1518 bytes, per RFC 2544 section 9 [3].  The four CRC
      bytes are included in the frame size specified.

      Interframe Gap (IFG) - The IFG between frames inside a burst
      MUST be at the minimum specified by the standard (9.6 us for
      10Mbps Ethernet, 960 ns for 100Mbps Ethernet, and 96 ns for 
      1 Gbps Ethernet) of the medium being tested.

      Duplex mode - Half duplex or full duplex.

      Addresses per port - Represents the number of addresses which
      are being tested for each port.  Number of addresses SHOULD be a
      binary exponential (i.e. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, ...).
      Recommended value is 1.

      Trial Duration - The recommended Trial Duration is 30 seconds.
      Trial duration SHOULD be adjustable between 1 and 300 seconds.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 16]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.5.3 Procedure
 
   This test MUST consist of a multiple of four ports with the same MOL.
   Four ports are REQUIRED and MAY be expanded to fully utilize the
   DUT/SUT in increments of four.  Each group of four will contain a
   test block with two of the ports as source transmitters and two of
   the ports as receivers. The diagram below depicts the flow of traffic
   between the switch ports:

        +----------+   50 % MOL                  +-------------+ 
        |          |  ------------------------>  |             | 
        |          |   50 % MOL                  | uncongested | 
        |          |  ---------                  |             | 
        +----------+            \                +-------------+ 
                                 \                               
                                  \                              
                                   \                             
        +----------+                \            +-------------+ 
        |          |                 --------->  |             | 
        |          |   100 % MOL                 | congested   | 
        |          |  ------------------------>  |             | 
        +----------+                             +-------------+ 

   Both source transmitters MUST transmit the exact number of test
   frames.  The first source MUST transmit test frames at the MOL with
   the destination address of the two receive ports in an alternating
   order.  The first test frame to the uncongested receive port, second
   test frame to the congested receive port, then repeat.  The second
   source transmitter MUST transmit test frames at the MOL only to the
   congested receive port.

   Both receive ports SHOULD distinguish between test frames originating
   from the source ports and frames originating from the DUT/SUT.  Only
   test frames from the source ports SHOULD be counted.

   The uncongested receive port should be receiving at a rate of half
   the MOL.  The number of test frames received on the uncongested port
   SHOULD be 50% of the test frames transmitted by the first source 
   transmitter.  The congested receive port should be receiving at the
   MOL.  The number of test frames received on the congested port should
   be between 100% and 150% of the test frames transmitted by one source
   transmitter.

   Test frames destined to uncongested ports in a switch device should
   not be dropped due to other ports being congested, even if the source
   is sending to both the congested and uncongested ports.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 17]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.5.4 Measurements

   Any frame received which does not have the correct destination
   address MUST not be counted as a received frame and SHOULD be counted
   as part of a flood count.

   Any frame originating from the DUT/SUT MUST not be counted as a
   received frame.  Frames originating from the DUT/SUT MAY be counted
   as flooded frames or not counted at all.

   Frame loss rate of the DUT/SUT's congested and uncongested ports MUST
   be reported as defined in section 26.3 [3] with the following notes:
   Frame loss rate SHOULD be measured at the end of the trial duration.
   The term "rate", for this measurement only, does not imply the units
   in the fashion of "per second."

   Offered Load to the DUT/SUT MUST be reported as the number of test
   frames per second that the DUT/SUT observed to accept.  This may be
   different that the MOL.

   Forwarding rate (FR) of the DUT/SUT's congested and uncongested ports
   MUST be reported as the number of test frames per second that the
   device is observed to successfully transmit to the correct
   destination interface in response to a specified offered load. The
   offered load MUST also be cited.

5.5.5 Reporting format

   This test MUST report the frame lost rate at the uncongested port,
   the forwarding rate (at 50% offered load) at the uncongested port,
   and the frame lost rate at the congested port.  This test MAY report
   the frame counts transmitted and frame counts received by the
   DUT/SUT.

5.5.5.1 HOLB

   If there is frame loss at the uncongested port, "Head of Line"
   blocking is present.  The DUT cannot forward the amount of traffic to
   the congested port and as a result it is also losing frames destined
   to the uncongested port.

5.5.5.2 Back Pressure

   If there is no frame loss on the congested port, then backpressure
   is present.  It should be noted that this test expects the overall
   load to the congested port to be greater than 100%. Therefore if the
   load is greater than 100% and no frame loss is detected, then the DUT
   must be implementing a flow control mechanism.  The type of flow
   control mechanism used is beyond the scope of this memo.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 18]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

   It should be noted that some DUTs may not be able to handle the 100%
   load presented at the input port. In this case, there may be frame
   loss reported at the uncongested port which is due to the load at the
   input port rather than the congested port's load.

   If the uncongested frame loss is reported as zero, but the maximum
   forwarding rate is less than 7440 (for 10Mbps Ethernet), then this 
   may be an indication of congestion control being enforced by the DUT.
   In this case, the congestion control is affecting the throughput of
   the uncongested port.

   If no congestion control is detected, the expected percentage frame
   loss for the congested port is 33% at 150% overload.  It is receiving
   100% load from 1 port, and 50% from another, and can only get 100%
   possible throughput, therefore having a frame loss rate of 33%
   (150%-50%/150%).

5.6 Forward Pressure and Maximum Forwarding Rate 

5.6.1 Objective

   The Forward Pressure test overloads a DUT/SUT port and measures the
   output for forward pressure [2].  If the DUT/SUT transmits frames
   with an interframe gap less than 96 bits (section 4.2.3.2.2 [4]),
   then forward pressure is detected.

   The objective of the Maximum Forwarding Rate test is to measure the 
   peak value of the Forwarding Rate when the Offered Load is varied 
   between the throughput [1] and the Maximum Offered Load [2].

5.6.2 Setup Parameters

   The following parameters MUST be defined.  Each variable is
   configured with the following considerations.

      Frame Size - Recommended frame sizes are 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024,
      1280 and 1518 bytes, per RFC 2544 section 9 [3].  The four CRC
      bytes are included in the frame size specified.

      Duplex mode - Half duplex or full duplex.

      Trial Duration - The recommended Trial Duration is 30 seconds.
      Trial duration SHOULD be adjustable between 1 and 300 seconds.

        Step Size - The minimum incremental resolution that the Iload will
      be incremented in frames per second.  The smaller the step size,
      the more accurate the measurement and the more iterations
      required.  As the Iload approaches the MOL, the minimum step size
      will increase because of gap resolution on the testing device.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 19]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.6.3 Procedure

5.6.3.1 Maximum forwarding rate

   If the Throughput [1] and the MOL [2] are the same, then MFR [2]
   is equal to the MOL [2].

   This test MUST at a minimum be performed in a two-port configuration
   as described below.  Learning frames MUST be sent to allow the
   DUT/SUT to update its address tables properly.

   Test frames are transmitted to the first port (port 1) of the DUT/SUT
   at the Iload.  The FR [2] on the second port (port 2) of the DUT/SUT
   is measured.  The Iload is incremented for each Step Size to find the
   MFR.  The algorithm for the test is as follows:

    CONSTANT
      MOL = ... frames/sec; {Maximum Offered Load} 
    VARIABLE   
      MFR   := 0 frames/sec; {Maximum Forwarding Rate}
      ILOAD := starting throughput in frames/sec; {offered load}
      STEP  := ... frames/sec; {Step Size}
    BEGIN
      ILOAD := ILOAD - STEP;
      DO
      BEGIN
        ILOAD := ILOAD + STEP
        IF (ILOAD > MOL) THEN
        BEGIN
          ILOAD := MOL
        END
        AddressLearning; {Port 2 broadcasts with its source address}
        Transmit(ILOAD); {Port 1 sends frames to Port 2 at Offered load}
        IF (Port 2 Forwarding Rate > MFR) THEN
        BEGIN 
           MFR := Port 2 Forwarding Rate; {A higher value than before}
        END
    END   
    WHILE (ILOAD < MOL); {ILOAD has reached the MOL value}
    DONE

5.6.3.2 Minimum Interframe Gap

   The Minimum Interframe gap test SHOULD, at a minimum, be performed in
   a two-port configuration as described below.  Learning frames MUST be
   sent to allow the DUT/SUT to update its address tables properly.

   Test frames SHOULD be transmitted to the first port (port 1) of the
   DUT/SUT with an interframe gap of 88 bits.  This will apply forward
   pressure to the DUT/SUT and overload it at a rate of one byte per
   frame.  The test frames MUST be constructed with a source address of
   port 1 and a destination address of port 2.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 20]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

   The FR on the second port (port 2) of the DUT/SUT is measured.  The
   measured Forwarding Rate should not exceed the medium's maximum
   theoretical utilization (MOL).

5.6.4 Measurements

   Port 2 MUST categorize, then count the frames into one of two groups:
 
      1.) Received Frames: received frames MUST have the correct
          destination MAC address and SHOULD match a signature field.

      2.) Flood count [2].

   Any frame originating from the DUT/SUT MUST not be counted as a
   received frame.  Frames originating from the DUT/SUT MAY be counted
   as flooded frames or not counted at all.

5.6.5 Reporting format

   MFR MUST be reported as the highest forwarding rate of a DUT/SUT
   taken from an iterative set of forwarding rate measurements. The
   Iload applied to the device MUST also be cited.

   Forwarding rate (FR) of the DUT/SUT SHOULD be reported as the number
   of frames per second that the device is observed to successfully
   transmit to the correct destination interface in response to a
   specified Oload. The Iload MUST be cited and the Oload MAY be
   recorded.

   If the FR exceeds the MOL during the Minimum Interframe gap test,
   this MUST be highlighted with the expression "Forward Pressure
   detected". 

5.7 Address Caching Capacity

5.7.1 Objective

   To determine the address caching capacity of a LAN switching device
   as defined in RFC 2285, section 3.8.1 [2].

5.7.2 Setup Parameters

   The following parameters MUST be defined.  Each variable is
   configured with the following considerations.

     Age Time - The maximum time that a DUT/SUT will keep a learned
     address in its forwarding table.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 21]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

     Addresses Learning Rate - The rate at which new addresses are
     offered to the DUT/SUT to be learned.  The rate at which address
     learning frames are offered may have to be adjusted to be as low as
     50 frames per second or even less, to guarantee successful
     learning.

     Initial Addresses - The initial number of addresses to start the
     test with.  The number MUST be between 1 and the maximum number
     supported by the implementation.

5.7.3 Procedure

   The aging time of the DUT/SUT MUST be known.  The aging time MUST be
   longer than the time necessary to produce frames at the specified
   rate.  If a low frame rate is used for the test, then it may be
   possible that sending a large amount of frames may actually take
   longer than the aging time. 

   This test MUST at a minimum be performed in a three-port
   configuration described below.  The test MAY be expanded to fully
   utilized the DUT/SUT in increments of two or three ports.  An
   increment of two would include an additional Learning port and Test
   port.  An increment of three would include an additional Learning
   port, Test port, and Monitoring port.

   The Learning port (Lport) transmits learning frames to the DUT/SUT
   with varying source addresses and a fixed destination address
   corresponding to the address of the device connected to the Test port
   (Tport) of the DUT/SUT.  By receiving frames with varying
   source addresses, the DUT/SUT should learn these new addresses.  The
   source addresses MAY be in sequential order.

   The Test port (Tport) of the DUT/SUT acts as the receiving port for
   the learning frames.  Test frames will be transmitted back to the
   addresses learned on the Learning port.  The algorithm for this is
   explained below.

   The Monitoring port (Mport) on the DUT/SUT acts as a monitoring port
   to listen for flooded or mis-forwarded frames.  If the test spans
   multiple broadcast domains (VLANs), each broadcast domain REQUIRES a
   Monitoring port.

   It is highly recommended that SNMP, Spanning Tree, and any other
   frames originating from the DUT/SUT be disabled when running this
   test.  If such protocols cannot be turned off, the flood count MUST
   be modified only to count test frame originating from Lport and MUST
   NOT count frames originating from the DUT/SUT.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 22]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

   The algorithm for the test is as follows:

   CONSTANT
      AGE = ...;  {value greater that DUT aging time}
      MAX = ...;  {maximum address support by implementation}
    VARIABLE   
      LOW  := 0;    {Highest passed valve}
      HIGH := MAX;  {Lowest failed value}
      N    := ...;  {user specified initial starting point} 
    BEGIN
      DO
        BEGIN
        PAUSE(AGE);   {Age out any learned addresses}
          AddressLearning(TPort); {broadcast a frame with its source
                                  Address and broadcast destination}
          AddressLearning(LPort); {N frames with varying source addresses
                                  to Test Port}
        Transmit(TPort); {N frames with varying destination addresses
                           corresponding to Learning Port}
        IF (MPort receive frame != 0) OR 
           (LPort receive frames < TPort transmit) THEN
          BEGIN  {Address Table of DUT/SUT was full}
            HIGH := N;
          END
        ELSE
          BEGIN  {Address Table of DUT/SUT was NOT full}
            LOW := N;
          END
        N := LOW + (HIGH - LOW)/2; 
      END WHILE (HIGH - LOW < 2);
    END {Value of N equals number of addresses supported by DUT/SUT}

   Using a binary search approach, the test targets the exact number of
   addresses supported per port with consistent test iterations.  Due
   to the aging time of DUT/SUT address tables, each iteration may take
   some time during the waiting period for the addresses to clear.  If
   possible, configure the DUT/SUT for a low value for the aging time.

   Once the high and low values of N meet, then the threshold of address
   handling has been found.

5.7.4 Measurements

   Whether the offered addresses per port was successful forwarded
   without flooding.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 23]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.7.5 Reporting format

   After the test is run, results for each iteration SHOULD be displayed
   in a table to include:

      The number of addresses used for each test iteration (varied).

      The intended load used for each test iteration (fixed).

      Number of test frames that were offered to Tport of the DUT/SUT.
      This SHOULD match the number of addresses used for the test
      iteration.  Test frames are the frames sent with varying
      destination addresses to confirm that the DUT/SUT has learned
      all of the addresses for each test iteration.

      The flood count on Tport during the test portion of each test.
      If the number is non-zero, this is an indication of the DUT/SUT
      flooding a frame in which the destination address is not in the
      address table.

      The number of frames correctly forwarded to test Lport during
      the test portion of the test.  Received frames MUST have the
      correct destination MAC address and SHOULD match a signature
      field.  For a passing test iteration, this number should be equal
      to the number of frames transmitted by Tport.

      The flood count on Lport during the test portion of each test.
      If the number is non-zero, this is an indication of the DUT/SUT
      flooding a frame in which the destination address is not in the
      address table.

      The flood count on Mport.  If the value is not zero, then this
      indicates that for that test iteration, the DUT/SUT could not
      determine the proper destination port for that many frames.  In
      other words, the DUT/SUT flooded the frame to all ports since its
      address table was full.

5.8 Address Learning Rate

5.8.1 Objective

   To determine the rate of address learning of a LAN switching device.

5.8.2 Setup Parameters

   The following parameters MUST be defined.  Each variable is
   configured with the following considerations.

     Age Time - The maximum time that a DUT/SUT will keep a learned
     address in its forwarding table.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 24]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

     Initial Addresses Learning Rate - The starting rate at which new
     addresses are offered to the DUT/SUT to be learned. 

     Number of Addresses - The number of addresses that the DUT/SUT must
     learn.  The number MUST be between 1 and the maximum number
     supported by the implementation.  It is recommended no to exceed
     the address caching capacity found in section 5.9

5.8.3 Procedure

   The aging time of the DUT/SUT MUST be known.  The aging time MUST be
   longer than the time necessary to produce frames at the specified
   rate.  If a low frame rate is used for the test, then it may be
   possible that sending a large amount of frames may actually take
   longer than the aging time. 

   This test MUST at a minimum be performed in a three-port
   configuration in section 5.9.3.  The test MAY be expanded to fully
   utilized the DUT/SUT in increments of two or three ports.  An
   increment of two would include an additional Learning port and Test
   port.  An increment of three would include an additional Learning
   port, Test port, and Monitoring port.

   An algorithm similar to the one used to determine address caching
   capacity can be used to determine the address learning rate.  This
   test iterates the rate at which address learning frames are offered
   by the test device connected to the DUT/SUT.  It is recommended to
   set the number of addresses offered to the DUT/SUT in this test to 
   the maximum caching capacity.

   The address learning rate might be determined for different numbers
   of addresses but in each test run, the number MUST remain constant
   and SHOULD be equal to or less than the maximum address caching
   capacity.

5.8.4 Measurements

   Whether the offered addresses per port were successful forwarded
   without flooding at the offered learning rate.

5.8.5 Reporting format

   After the test is run, results for each iteration SHOULD be displayed
   in a table:

      The number of addresses used for each test iteration (fixed).

      The intended load used for each test iteration (varied).

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 25]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

      Number of test frames that were transmitted by Tport.  This SHOULD
      match the number of addresses used for the test iteration.  Test
      frames are the frames sent with varying destination addresses to
      confirm that the DUT/SUT has learned all of the addresses for each
      test iteration.

      The flood count on Tport during the test portion of each test.
      If the number is non-zero, this is an indication of the DUT/SUT
      flooding a frame in which the destination address is not in the
      address table.

      The number of frames correctly forwarded to test Lport during
      the test portion of the test.  Received frames MUST have the
      correct destination MAC address and SHOULD match a signature
      field.  For a passing test iteration, this number should be equal
      to the number of frames transmitted by Tport.

      The flood count on Lport during the test portion of each test.
      If the number is non-zero, this is an indication of the DUT/SUT
      flooding a frame in which the destination address is not in the
      address table.

      The flood count on Mport.  If the value is not zero, then this
      indicates that for that test iteration, the DUT/SUT could not
      determine the proper destination port for that many frames.  In
      other words, the DUT/SUT flooded the frame to all ports since its
      address table was full.

5.9 Errored frames filtering 

5.9.1 Objective

   The objective of the Errored frames filtering test is to determine 
   the behavior of the DUT under error or abnormal frame conditions.
   The results of the test indicate if the DUT/SUT filters the errors,
   or simply propagates the errored frames along to the destination.

5.9.2 Setup Parameters

   The following parameters MUST be defined.  Each variable is
   configured with the following considerations.

      ILoad - Intended Load per port is expressed in a percentage of the
      medium's maximum theorical load possible.  The actual transmitted
      frame per second is dependent upon half duplex or full duplex
      operation.  The test SHOULD be run multiple times with a different
      load per port in each case.

      Trial Duration - The recommended Trial Duration is 30 seconds.
      Trial duration SHOULD be adjustable between 1 and 300 seconds.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 26]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.9.3 Procedure

   Each of the illegal frames for Ethernet MUST be checked:

   Oversize - The DUT/SUT MAY filter frames larger than 1518 bytes
   from being propagated through the DUT/SUT section 4.2.4.2.1 [4].
   Oversized frames transmitted to the DUT/SUT should not be forwarded.
   DUT/SUT supporting tagged Frames MAY forward frames up to and
   including 1522 bytes long (section 4.2.4.2.1 [5]).

   Undersize - The DUT/SUT MUST filter frames less than 64 bytes from
   being propagated through the DUT/SUT (section 4.2.4.2.2 [4]).
   Undersized frames (or collision fragments) received by the DUT/SUT
   must not be forwarded.

   CRC Errors - The DUT/SUT MUST filter frames that fail the Frame Check
   Sequence Validation (section 4.2.4.1.2 [4]) from being propagated
   through the DUT/SUT.  Frames with an invalid CRC transmitted to the 
   DUT/SUT should not be forwarded. 

   Dribble Bit Errors - The DUT/SUT MUST correct and forward frames
   containing dribbling bits.  Frames transmitted to the DUT/SUT that do
   not end in an octet boundary but contain a valid frame check sequence 
   MUST be accepted by the DUT/SUT (section 4.2.4.2.1 [4]) and forwarded
   to the correct receive port with the frame ending in an octet 
   boundary (section 3.4 [4]).

   Alignment Errors - The DUT/SUT MUST filter frames that fail the Frame
   Check Sequence Validation AND do not end in an octet boundary.  This
   is a combination of a CRC error and a Dribble Bit error.  When both
   errors are occurring in the same frame, the DUT/SUT MUST determine
   the CRC error takes precedence and filters the frame (section
   4.2.4.1.2 [4]) from being propagated.

5.9.5 Reporting format

   For each of the error conditions in section 5.6.3, a "pass" or "fail"
   MUST be reported.  Actual frame counts MAY be reported for diagnostic
   purposes.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 27]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.10 Broadcast frame Forwarding and Latency

5.10.1 Objective

   The objective of the Broadcast Frame Forwarding and Latency Test is
   to determine the throughput and latency of the DUT when forwarding 
   broadcast traffic.  The ability to forward broadcast frames will 
   depend upon a specific function built into the device for that
   purpose.  It is therefore necessary to determine the ability of
   DUT/SUT to handle broadcast frames, since there may be many different
   ways of implementing such a function.

5.10.2 Setup Parameters

   The following parameters MUST be defined.  Each variable is
   configured with the following considerations.

      Frame Size - Recommended frame sizes are 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024,
      1280 and 1518 bytes, per RFC 2544 section 9 [3].  The four CRC
      bytes are included in the frame size specified.

      Duplex mode - Half duplex or full duplex.

      ILoad - Intended Load per port is expressed in a percentage of the
      medium's maximum theoretical load, regardless of traffic
      orientation or duplex mode.  Certain test configurations will
      theoretically over-subscribe the DUT/SUT.

      ILoad will not over-subscribe the DUT/SUT in this test.

      Trial Duration - The recommended Trial Duration is 30 seconds.
      Trial duration SHOULD be adjustable between 1 and 300 seconds.

5.10.3 Procedure

   For this test, there are two parts to be run.

   Broadcast Frame Throughput - This portion of the test uses a single 
   source test port to transmit test frames with a broadcast address
   using the frame specified in RFC 2544 [3].  Selected receive ports
   then measure the forwarding rate and Frame loss rate.

   Broadcast Frame Latency - This test uses the same setup as the 
   Broadcast Frame throughput, but instead of a large stream of test
   frames being sent, only one test frame is sent and the latency to
   each of the receive ports are measured in seconds.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 28]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

5.10.4 Measurements

   Frame loss rate of the DUT/SUT SHOULD be reported as defined in
   section 26.3 [3] with the following notes: Frame loss rate SHOULD be
   measured at the end of the trial duration.  The term "rate", for this
   measurement only, does not imply the units in the fashion of "per
   second."

   Forwarding rate (FR) of the DUT/SUT SHOULD be reported as the number
   of test frames per second that the device is observed to successfully
   forward to the correct destination interface in response to a
   specified Oload.  The Oload MUST also be cited.

5.10.5 Reporting format

   The results for these tests SHOULD be reported in the form of a
   graph.  The x coordinate SHOULD be the frame size, the y coordinate
   SHOULD be the test results.  There SHOULD be at least two lines on
   the graph, one plotting the theoretical and one plotting the test
   results.

   To measure the DUT/SUT's ability to switch traffic while performing
   many different address lookups, the number of addresses per port
   MAY be increased in a series of tests.

6. Security Considerations

   As this document is solely for the purpose of providing metric 
   methodology and describes neither a protocol nor a protocol's 
   implementation, there are no security considerations associated with 
   this document. 

7.  References

   [1]   Bradner, S., Editor, "Benchmarking Terminology for Network
         Interconnection Devices", RFC 1242, July 1991.

   [2]   Mandeville, R., Editor, "Benchmarking Terminology for LAN
         Switching Devices", RFC 2285, February 1998.

   [3]   Bradner, S., Editor, "Benchmarking Methodology for Network
         Interconnect Devices", RFC 2544, March 2000.

   [4]   ANSI/IEEE, "CSMA/CD Access Method and Physical Layer
         Specifications," ISO/IEC 8802-3, ISBN 0-7381-0330-6, 1998.

   [5]   IEEE Draft, "Frame Extensions for Virtual Bridged Local Area
         Networks (VLAN) Tagging on 802.3 Networks", 802.3ac/D3.1,
         July 1998.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 29]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

8. Authors' Address

   Robert Mandeville
   European Network Laboratories (ENL)
   2, rue Helene Boucher
   87286 Guyancourt Cedex
   France

   Phone: + 33 1 39 44 12 05
   EMail: [email-masked]

   Jerry Perser
   Netcom Systems
   26750 Agoura Road
   Calabasas, CA 91302
   USA

   Phone: + 1 818 676 2300
   Email: [email-masked]

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 30]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

Appendix A:  Formulas

A.1 Calculating the InterBurst Gap

   IBG is defined in RFC 2285 [2] as the interval between two bursts.
   To achieve a desired load, the following Input Parameter need to be
   defined:

     LENGTH - Frame size in bytes including the CRC.

     LOAD   - The intended load in percent.  Range is 0 to 100.

     BURST  - The number of frames in the burst (integer value).

     SPEED  - media's speed in bits/sec
                 Ethernet is 10,000,000 bits/sec
                 Fast Ethernet is 100,000,000 bits/sec
                 Gigabit Ethernet is 1,000,000,000 bits/sec

     IFG    - A constant 96 bits for the minimum interframe gap.

   The IBG (in seconds) can be calculated:

          [(100/LOAD - 1) * BURST * (IFG + 64 + 8*LENGTH)] + IFG
   IBG = -----------------------------------------------------------
                                  SPEED

A.2 Calculating the Number of Bursts for the Trial Duration

   The number of bursts for the trial duration is rounded up to the
   nearest integer number.  The follow Input Parameter need to be
   defined:

     LENGTH - Frame size in bytes including the CRC.

     BURST  - The number of frames in the burst (integer value).

     SPEED  - media's speed in bits/sec
                 Ethernet is 10,000,000 bits/sec
                 Fast Ethernet is 100,000,000 bits/sec
                 Gigabit Ethernet is 1,000,000,000 bits/sec

     IFG    - A constant 96 bits for the minimum interframe gap.

     IBG    - Found in the above formula

     DURATION - Trial duration in seconds.      

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 31]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

   An intermediate number of the Burst duration needs to be calculated
   first:

                 IFG*(BURST-1) + BURST*(64 + 8*LENGTH)
    TXTIME  =  -----------------------------------------
                               SPEED

   Number of Burst for the Trial Duration (rounded up):

                     DURATION
    #OFBURSTS =   -------------- 
                  (TXTIME + IBG)

   Example:

     LENGTH   = 64  bytes per frame
     LOAD     = 100 % offered load
     BURST    = 24  frames per burst
     SPEED    = 10  Mbits/sec (Ethernet)
     DURATION = 10  seconds test

       IBG       = 1612.8 uS
         TXTIME    = 1603.2 uS
       #OFBURSTS = 3110 

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 32]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

Appendix B: Generating Offered Load

   In testing, the traffic generator is configured with the Iload
   (Intended Load) and measures the Oload (Offered Load).  If the
   DUT/SUT applies congestion control, then the Iload and the Oload are
   not the same value. The question arises, how to generate the Oload?
   This appendix will describe two different methods.

   The unit of measurement for Oload is bits per second.  The two
   methods described here will hold one unit constant and let the
   DUT/SUT vary the other unit.  The traffic generator SHOULD specify
   which method it uses.

B.1 Frame Based Load

   Frame Based Load holds the number of bits constant.  The Trial
   Duration will vary based upon congestion control.  Advantage is
   implementation is a simple state machine (or loop).  The
   disadvantage is that Oload needs to be measured independently.

   All ports on the traffic generator MUST transmit the exact number of
   test frames.  The exact number of test frames is found by multiplying
   the Iload of the port by the Trial Duration.  All ports MAY NOT
   transmit the same number of frames if their Iload is not the same.
   An example would be the Partially meshed many-to-one test.

   All ports SHOULD start transmitting their frames within 1% of the
   trial duration.  For a trial duration of 30 seconds, all ports SHOULD
   have started transmitting frames within 300 milliseconds of each
   other.

   The reported Oload SHOULD be the average during the Trial Duration.
   If the traffic generator continues to transmit after the Trial
   Duration due to congestion control, Oload MAY be averaged over the
   entire transmit time.  Oload for the DUT/SUT MUST be the aggregate of
   all the Oloads per port.  Oload per port MAY be reported.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 33]

INTERNET-DRAFT    LAN Switch Benchmarking Methodology         March 2000

B.2 Time Based Load

   Time based load holds the Trial Duration constant, while allowing the
   number of octets transmitted to vary.  Advantages are an accurate
   Trial Duration and integrated Oload measurement.  Disadvantage is
   that the starting and stopping of the traffic generator MUST be more
   accurate.

   All ports on the traffic generator are configured to transmit the
   Iload for a finite amount of time.  Each port MUST count the number
   of octets successfully transmitted.

   The start and stop is initiated at a layer defined by the test
   parameters.  The layer can be the MAC layer, IP layer, or some other
   point in the protocol stack.  The traffic generator MUST complete its
   layer specific transmit process when the stop time is reached (i.e.
   no fragments, finish the frame).

   All ports MUST start transmitting their frames within 1% of the trial
   duration.  For a trial duration of 30 seconds, all ports SHOULD have
   started transmitting frames within 300 milliseconds of each other.

   All ports SHOULD stop transmitting frames after the specified trail
   duration within 0.01% of the trial duration.  Each port's stop time
   MUST be reference to its start time.  This trial duration error
   controls the accuracy of the Oload measurement and SHOULD be reported
   with the Oload measurement.

   Each port is allowed an offset error of 0.1% and a trial duration
   error of 0.01%. 

   Oload is found by taking the number of octets successfully
   transmitted and dividing by the trial duration.  Oload for the
   DUT/SUT MUST be the aggregate of all the Oloads per port.  Oload per
   port MAY be reported for diagnostic purposes.

Mandeville, Perser                                             [Page 34]