Subject: loosening of Throughput standard?

From: Paul Wiggins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:58:54 -0400

While I was looking the other way... has there been a loosening of the definition of Throughput in RFC1242?

My interpretation is Throughput is the highest frame rate in which no packets are dropped.

thanks.

-paul

---

From: "David Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:44:42 -0400

>
> While I was looking the other way... has there been a loosening
> of the definition of Throughput in RFC1242?
>

No loosening, but not throughput isn't the only measurement. RFC 2285
defines another metric -- forwarding rate -- that does allow for frame loss
(i.e., it allows for measurements at frame rates above those at which zero
loss is observed).

Throughput still denotes zero frame loss.

dn