Subject: [Bridge-mib] topologyChange TRAP-TYPE

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:52:37 +0200

Hi,

I am new to this group, so plse forgive me if my questions have been 
asked  before...

I have 2 questions on how to handle the topologyChange TRAP-TYPE in RSTP.
The description states that:

            "A topologyChange trap is sent by a bridge when
            any of its configured ports transitions from the
            Learning state to the Forwarding state, or from
            the Forwarding state to the Blocking state.

1) During  the RSTP syncing phase there are temporary transitions
   to and from the forwarding state (the moving cut). 

   With the above definition every single of those transitions will
   cause a trap although they do not imply any topology change.

   Is this realy the intented behavior in RSTP for this trap?  

2) I assume that the state 'Blocking' must be read in RSTP 
   (ref table 17.1 in IEE802.1w-2001) as
   '(port-state == Discarding) + (port-role == Alternate or Backup)'

  This means that  if the MAC  goes operationally down causing the
  link to leave the forwarding state this will not be reported via
  a TRAP. It is unclear for me why this is so, because to me it
  appears that this a real topology changing event.

Thanks,
Hans.
the transition from Forwarding  to

_______________________________________________
Bridge-mib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bridge-mib