Subject: Re: Extent of RFC 1493 support?

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:28:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

I've been asked whether there was a response to my questions about the
extent of RFC 1493 support.  No one seems to be willing to say anything
on the WG mailing list.

I've encountered several implementations out there, but have received
only a couple of (very helpful) private responses.  The completeness and
accuracy of the MIB implementations appears to be highly variable, even
from version to version of the same product.

Are there any plans to advance RFC 1493 along the standards track?
I see the WG charter has this decision slated for completion in August of
1998, and the intent to poll for implementation experience was recorded
in the minutes from the Chicago meeting.

Unfortunately, the WG ftp archive appears to consist of a single file,
named "july98", so I can't just go back and read the archives.

What were the results of this evaluation?

Is the WG dead now that RFC 2674 is published?

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------