Subject: Users and Authentication Ids in CAP

From: Alexander Taler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:08:08 -0400

Hi All

I think that we need to make a distinction between authentication ids
and caladdresses.  caladdresses are what we use for scheduling
meetings and defining access rights to the calendar store.  It seems
inappropriate to base these things on the authentication mechanism.
At least one participant at Minneapolis pointed out that he had
multiple personas and would be very happy if these could be handled
appropriately in a CS.  Many people have multiple authentication
systems, eg Kerberos in the office, OTP on the road.  It would be
appropriate to be able map these to a single caladdress for the
purpose of handling access rights and invitations in CAP.

SASL provides an authorization mechanism which fulfills these needs.
I can authenticate using any of a number of authentication mechanisms,
and then authorize to the caladdress which I use.

I could also have multiple caladdresses to which I wish to authorize.
Users on the same calendar store as me will typically invite me using
my CAP caladdress, whereas remote users will use my iRIP caladdress or
a mailto URI.  I would like to be able to authorize to any of these
addresses in order to handle my calendaring information.

This same system could also be used by iRIP.

Alex