Subject: RE: PROPOSAL: CAP Error codes definition and handling

From: Frank Dawson/CAM/Lotus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:43:46 GMT

Doug:

The optional text is used to provide a prose equivalent to the numerical,
hierarchical status code.

The CUA will probably know best what language or UI paradigm the user wants
the status displayed in. That is why I am advocating that any localization
of the "standard" text equivalence to the numeric status codes are the
responsibility of the CUA, not the CS.

In one of your notes, you indicated an option that said that the optional
status text was to supplement the meaning of the numeric status code.
Hopefully, we aren't using the optional status text to specify a status
condition other than that specified by the numeric text. Didn't you mean
that the purpose of the text was to provide a prose description equivalence
to the numeric status code?

-- Frank

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:05:38 +0000

> hierarchical status code.

I think we need to be able to provide more than a prose equivalent; we need to
be able to use nonstandard text so that the message can convey
implementation-specific detail.  Since the protocol ignores the text, this
doesn't impose any great burden on the parser.

The reason we need implementation-specific detail is so that an application
developer who's getting unexpected errors from the other end can get as much
information as possible as to why.  (Consulting the logs at the other end is
not always good enough; sometimes you're not allowed, and sometimes it's hard
to figure out which log entries correspond to your connection.)

--
/=============================================================\
|John Stracke    | My opinions are my own | S/MIME & HTML OK  |
[email-masked]|============================================|
|Chief Scientist | NT's lack of reliability is only surpassed |
|eCal Corp.      |  by its lack of scalability. -- John Kirch |
\=============================================================/