Subject: RE: Question: should vcalendar be extended to include project man agement scheduling?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:04:57 -0400

As the group is reviewing iCal for CAP support,
I think there is an opportunity to add iCal 
fields.

Although your fields are somewhat self explanatory,
can you give a formal definition of what is requested ?

Andre Courtemanche
CS&T

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Woollard [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 1999 6:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Question: should vcalendar be extended to include project
management scheduling?

I've been examining the vCalendar standard for a few days now, and it's
outstanding well
though out. For what it is intended to do, its really good.

The only negative point about  it is that it is tantalisingly close to
being able to
handle project management across the internet; and yet it misses the
very few tricks
necessary to allow this.

The main extensions that seem to be required are:

- non boolean busyFree times (busyFrees might be an integer for
example.)
- events need predecessors
- events need to be able to float based on busyFree availabilities

There's probably a few more things as well, but not a whole lot more.

It seems that this is a direction that the standard might grow...

Any comments?

---

From: Frank Dawson/CAM/Lotus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:51:57 GMT

Suggest that Ian looks at iCalendar (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445),
rather than vCalendar. Many of these things are addressed there.

As for increasing the IETF CALSCH WG charter at this time to address
project management requirements, I think that this out of the question. We
have been given direction from our Area Directors to complete the current
charter items, ASAP.

When we looked briefly at project management features for iCalendar, we
discovered that this is NOT addressed just by simply adding a couple of
properties or extending the range of values for a couple properties. This
is an area of work, in itself.

-- Frank Dawson