Subject: RE: iCal date time breakout

From: Graham Klyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:43:07 +0100

At 16:12 29/09/99 +0200, Greg FitzPatrick wrote:

[...]
>Those of us who have studied or worked with ISO8601 know that it is not all
>it is chalked up to be (though a great starting off place).  The datetime
>work within the CALSCH WG has made great progress in addressing that which
>is lacking in 8601 -including that which is not Y2K compliant!!

Are you referring to a long-expired draft by Chris Newman? [1]

>Would it not be expedient of us to make a separate draft of the datetime
>properties of 2445 including timezones and daylight savings features and
>publish this as a reference document for all comers who are interested in
>datetime applications outside the immediate realm of Calendaring and
>scheduling?
>
>Is there anybody out there who would be willing to share in that workload?

Chris' draft might be a useful start point... I have a copy if needed.

I cannot put up my hand for any (more) editorial work, but I would try to
review any document you might produce.

#g

[1] <draft-newman-datetime-01.txt>

Network Working Group                                          C. Newman
Internet Draft: Date and Time on the Internet                   Innosoft
Document: draft-newman-datetime-01.txt                      January 1997

                     Date and Time on the Internet

[...]

1. Introduction

     Date and time formats cause a lot of confusion and interoperability
     problems on the Internet.  This document will address many of the
     problems encountered and make recommendations to improve
     consistancy and interoperability when representing and using date
     and time in Internet protocols.

     This document includes an Internet profile of the ISO 8601
     [ISO8601] standard for representation of dates and times using the
     Gregorian calendar.

------------
Graham Klyne
([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:03:16 -0400

Graham:
That draft did not have the time zone objects. I think that Greg was 
suggesting to take the objects from RFC 2445.
-- Frank