Subject: CAP and Timezones/Recurrence/Queries

From: Thorsten Laux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:49:20 GMT

1. From the cap draft I can't seem to figure out, how queries can 
specify whether they want recurrent events to be returned only once 
(the start of the series) or once for every occurrence in the queried 
time span. It hopefully is not the burden of the CUA to calculate all 
recurrences from the base event!?

2. How do I specify the timezone of a datetime in a query? I suppose 
the CUA does not have to readjust its query time span into GMT? 
Burdening the CUA with timezone calculations means calculating 
recurrence rules which I don't think is a good idea for CUAs to be 
forced to. In the same context wouldn't it be a good idea to have the 
CUA identify its timezone to the CS and then let the CS do all 
timezone conversions for the client? The CS has to be able to do the 
conversions anyway since it has (as I suppose) to calculate recurrence 
instances. Why not let it do all conversion work. Having to do this in 
two places is error prone - especially given the vast reservoir of 
recurrence rules. It is clear of course that the tzid would still have 
to be transmitted since it indicates the timezone, the date is tied 
to.

Thorsten Laux

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:44:29 -0700

> recurrences from the base event!?

Your right. In the requirements doc is (our used to be) a requirement
to address this issue. It has not been addressed yet.

Suggestions?

I have added this as issue 'W-27' to the action item list.

> to be transmitted since it indicates the timezone, the date is tied

The current thoughts were that the CUA would have to be aware of
its own timeline anyway. So if the CUA only queries the CS for time
in GMT then the CUA would not have to download all of the timelines
in the CS in order to make a query.

The CS is going to have to know how to process timelines anyway.
And the CUA is going to have to know its own timeline.

Does this work for you?

-- 
Doug
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work: [email-masked]      Home    801 Woodside Rd #14-244
      530 E. Montecito St.         Office: Redwood City, CA 94061
      Santa Barbara, CA 93103
      805-957-1790 x541            Personal Email: [email-masked]