Subject: time in Nunavut

From: "Rives McDow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 09:36:55 -0700

The new territory of Nunavut, in what was formerly part of the Northwest
Territory in Canada, moved very quickly to incorporate the whole territory
into one time zone.  This will change some of the previous zone definitions
to correspond with America/Iqaluit.   These include America/Pangnirtung,
America/Rankin_Inlet, and America/Inuvik.   The change announcement can be
viewed at http://www.nunatsiaq.com/nunavut/nvt90903_13.html.   I will find
out the time of day the change will occur and notify the list.  Here is the
body of the announcement:

Nunavut moves to single time zone Oct. 31

Nunatsiaq News

 IQALUIT ‹ Nunavut cabinet ministers wrapped up their Bathurst Inlet retreat
in a timely fashion last week with a decision to move all three regions in
the territory to the central time zone.

 Premier Paul Okalik announced that Nunavut will make the switch Oct. 31.

 "Western communities can feel isolated from the rest of Nunavut and the
Cabinet decision to implement a single time zone is a clear response to that
concern," Okalik said.

 "Establishing a single time zone will break down arbitrary boundaries that
currently exist."

 Okalik said that while in Bathurst Inlet he was able to sympathize with
residents having trouble getting in touch with government services because
of the time difference. "I had difficulty being there and locating my own
offices here."

 He added that government officials have surveyed businesses,
telecommunications and other organizations in Nunavut and found strong
support for the single time zone.

 The time zone change will mean that on Oct. 31, Kitikmeot residents will
not bother to set their clocks back an hour while in the Keewatin time will
fall back to it's normal hour, while in the Baffin residents will have to
set their clocks back two hours.

 "Our main consideration was what was the best compromise for Nunavut.

Rives McDow