Subject: Re: CAP and Timezones/Recurrence/Queries

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:01:15 -0400

Doug Royer wrote, in part:
>This implies that the CUA already knows the UID of an event.
>If the query is for a date-time range there does not seem
>to be a way to say send me the 'raw' iCalendar data or
>'expand' the recurrences for me.

The scenarios that I have seen in meetings and hear discussed was a CUA 
would query for the events within a given date/time window. For example, 
for a UI of next 5 days, what are the events occurring in this interval. 
Assuming that the server unzips any recurring events to find events that 
overlap the window (this is a good assumption or the whole system model is 
caput), then the return can be forced to be UID, DTSTART, DTEND and 
RECURRENCE-ID and sorted by UID or even DSTART. With this initial query 
results you can certainly determine (a) if an event is a recurring one or 
not and also the UID of the parent.
Did you have a different and new scenario in mind?
-- Frank

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:32:40 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> The scenarios that I have seen in meetings and hear discussed was a
> CUA would query for the events within a given date/time window. For
> example, for a UI of next 5 days, what are the events occurring in
> this interval. Assuming that the server unzips any recurring events to
> find events that overlap the window (this is a good assumption or the
> whole system model is caput), then the return can be forced to be UID,
> DTSTART, DTEND and RECURRENCE-ID and sorted by UID or even DSTART.
> With this initial query results you can certainly determine (a) if an
> event is a recurring one or not and also the UID of the parent.
> 

Yes.

How do you (as I understand the original post asked) get the events 
non-un-zipped) as in the raw data?

Example:

	The owner of an event wishes to modify an event.
	The CU does not know the UID, so they would want
	to fetch say a VEVENT by SUMMARY. They do not want it
	unzipped, and it would consume bandwidth. The CUA just
	needs the original VEVENT as PUBLISHed. So it can be
	modified and sent back to the CS with CAP.

	If the VEVENT was daily, do you want or need 29-31 
	copies of the event - if you only want to modify it.

	When the VEVENT is displayed in a calendar, then
	yes - it needs to be unzipped.

Doug
-