Subject: Creating a compliance calendar

From: "NEPC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:33:51 +0600

My job is to ensure corporate compliance with a complex set of contracts and finance agreements in the energy sector and a major  component of this relates to the accomplishment of certain tasks within a pre-determined time and by meeting certain deadlines.
 
I have created a large Access database with all the key dates and related tasks for each document, in this I have also assigned responsibilities for the different components to various individuals and departments and now want to put it into a format that is user-friendly to both the end-user and senior management.
 
To do this I envisage creating a 'master calendar' of all the dates and events and then either networking or downloading the relevant tasks and dates to those responsible - ideally for inclusion in their own personal organiser (such as Outlook or Lotus Notes/Organiser, Palm Pilot etc.) complete with reminder messages etc.
 
I'd appreciate some pointers on how to accomplish this. I thought it would be a simple matter to convert my tasks and dates from the Access database into a 'universal' calendar format such as vcalendar but I don't know how to do it and can find little or no assistance in the "help" facilities of Access and Outlook.
 
Your feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated.
 
Rob Guest

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:54:37 -0400

Rob:
Lotus Organizer v5.0-v6.0 support both vCard (v2.1 and v3.0), as well as 
vCalendar and the newer IETF proposed standard iCalendar (rfc2445). That 
vCalendar/iCalendar support includes both the VEVENT and VTODO calendar 
components. You can either file import these objects, clipboard paste or 
drop/target them onto the calendar tab in Lotus Organizer.
Your job (not an impossible one!) would be to create a report application 
for your ODBC database that transcodes the tables of event and to-do 
information into either a vCalendar or iCalendar object.
See www.lotus.com/organizer. In addition, you can download the test build 
for the new Lotus Organizer version.
-- Frank Dawson

"NEPC" <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
09/15/1999 03:33 AM

        To:     <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
        cc:     <[email-masked]>, (bcc: Frank Dawson/CAM/Lotus)
        Subject:        Creating a compliance calendar

My job is to ensure corporate compliance with a complex set of contracts 
and finance agreements in the energy sector and a major  component of this 
relates to the accomplishment of certain tasks within a pre-determined 
time and by meeting certain deadlines.
 
I have created a large Access database with all the key dates and related 
tasks for each document, in this I have also assigned responsibilities for 
the different components to various individuals and departments and now 
want to put it into a format that is user-friendly to both the end-user 
and senior management.
 
To do this I envisage creating a 'master calendar' of all the dates and 
events and then either networking or downloading the relevant tasks and 
dates to those responsible - ideally for inclusion in their own personal 
organiser (such as Outlook or Lotus Notes/Organiser, Palm Pilot etc.) 
complete with reminder messages etc.
 
I'd appreciate some pointers on how to accomplish this. I thought it would 
be a simple matter to convert my tasks and dates from the Access database 
into a 'universal' calendar format such as vcalendar but I don't know how 
to do it and can find little or no assistance in the "help" facilities of 
Access and Outlook.

Rob Guest

---

From: "csamson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:15:31 +0100

Rob,

Also, if you can get the Access data into an XML format (quite easy to do) , you could create a single
combined calendar/schedule using my Java Applet.  This would produce a 'Wall Planner' chart, which 
could show all the responsibilities and activities in a single view via a Java enabled browser.  
See  an example at www.screenplan.com/javaex.htm. 

Regards,

Claire Samson

  -----Original Message-----
  From: NEPC <[email-masked]>
  To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
  Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
  Date: 15 September 1999 09:08
  Subject: Creating a compliance calendar

   

   
  Rob Guest