Subject: RE: Extensions To iCalendar [Was: Re: The SKiCal extensions]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 01:20:46 +0000

Frank, I'm saying we must need a more well-defined extension when we have 
at least two areas where we need extensions made and there are comments 
regarding putting them in or out of RFC2445.  That to me says maybe 
section 7 needs to be revisited.  Are you volunteering??
___________________
Patricia Egen Consulting
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

[email-masked]
02/07/01 12:41 AM

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc:     [email-masked]
        Subject:        RE: Extensions To iCalendar [Was: Re: The SKiCal extensions]

> George, your comments on creating a well-defined extension process for 
iCalendar is just what we need to do.  Any ideas, list?

Of course RFC 2445 does define a "process" for registering extensions (see 
section 7, I believe). It is based on the one defined for text/directory 
MIME type; which is based on the MIME media type registration process.
 
Maybe you mean something different?
 
-- Frank

---

From: Eric Busboom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:41:17 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> section 7 needs to be revisited. 

After reading over section 7 again, I think we may need to clarify a few
issues in relation to adding extensions. 

Section 7.1 says that:
	New methods are registered bu publishing an RFC
	
	Changes to existing methods are registered by revising an RFC

However, section 7.2 does not describe where new properties or changes to
properties are registered. The process ends with submission to the IANA
via the method reviewer. Maybe I don't understand the IANA, but I am not
sure what "submitted" means. An RFC? A telephone call? Scrawled on a
postcard? 

Should section 7.2 specify if new properties are published in a new or
revised RFC?

eric.

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:21:56 -0500

Eric Busboom wrote:

> Maybe I don't understand the IANA, but I am not

Written in invisible ink on their windshields?

> Should section 7.2 specify if new properties are published in a new or

I'd say yes.  It's the only mechanism we have for publishing a stable document
for all to see.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |In the long run, there is no middle ground   |
[email-masked]|between justice and genocide.                |
\==============================================================/