Subject: RE: The SKiCal extensions - namespaces

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:27:28 -0600

> The problem so far seems to be coordination.  Coordination 
> seems to be a big
> problem.  Why couldn't (for example) the date-time and 
> recurrence rules of
> 2445 be coordinated with the date-time and recurrence rules 
> of XML-Schemas?
> 
 
Not sure the only problem is "coordination". There may have also been that
old nemesis, "NIH" involved in this situation. 

The W3C group specing the Schema stuff DID know about the iCalendar work in
this area. They chose to ignore it (my representative told me that they were
made aware of the IETF CALSCH WG work in this area) and instead create their
own schema for date and time.

I am not certain that the Schemas spec will get wide spread usage. Common
infrastructures such as SOAP might help, but there is a natural tendency in
XML applications to just format the data as PCDATA and let the application
handle data integrity (can't be enforced anyway in XML) and data type
checking (where it matters the most).

-- Frank