Subject: Re: vTODO due/duration conflict

From: [email-masked] (Gilles Fortin)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:25:00 -0500

It seems to me very useful to have a duration for a to do component, for
time estimates in the context of project management for instance. I do not
seen any reason why this would conflict with a due date?

>
>Subject: vTODO due/duration conflict
>From: JP Rosevear <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Content-Type: text/plain
>X-Mailer: Evolution (0.8 - Preview Release)
>Date: 13 Feb 2001 19:23:37 -0500
>Mime-Version: 1.0
>X-Evolution: 00000f45-0010
>
>I've noticed that for a to do component that due and duration are
>mutually exclusive.  I take it that duration is relative to the dtstart
>property, but the dtstart parameter is optional so you could get a
>floating duration that is meaningless (ie always due some amount of time
>hence) in the intended context it would seem.
>
>Something like this would be useful however for time estimates of a to
>do item.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>-JP
>
>--
>--
>=======================================================================
>JP Rosevear                             [email-masked]
>Ximian Inc.                             http://www.ximian.com

Gilles Fortin, Founder & President
__________________________________
Teamsoft Inc.
50 Queen, #304
Montreal, Canada H3C 2N5
+514-875-2231x106    fax:+514-875-2401
Internet: [email-masked]    Web: http://teamsoft.com

---

From: JP Rosevear <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Feb 2001 11:48:44 -0500

> seen any reason why this would conflict with a due date?

I do as well.  However the spec intends it in another way.  It makes due
and duration mutually exclusive, implying that duration can be used to
calculate a due date.  Further more for this to work, a (section 4.6.2)
a dtstart would be required to calculate then end date (it is optional
for a VTODO).

-JP

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:06:45 -0500

> seen any reason why this would conflict with a due date?

That sounds useful; but it would probably be safer to define a separate
property.

--
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |I'm not a bibliophile, I'm a bibliophiliac. Put|
[email-masked]|me in a bookstore, & my wallet bleeds.         |
\================================================================/