Subject: RE: SKiCal component property extension - PROMO

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:33:18 -0600

> A specification of a schema will always be extended. See the SNMP 
> specs. I presume that if someone want to create a really good 
> iCalendar application, it should be able to understand the current 
> RFC for iCalendar (which might be updated one day) and also the 
> extensions also published as RFC's. The one day a spring cleaning is 
> happening and a new version of iCalendar is published and that might 
> include the properties that SKiCal have.

Patrik:

Tend to agree with your comments about extensibility is good for the schema!
Good points. However, you point out that "extensions also published as
RFC's". But the iCalendar specification includes a property registration
process that doesn't require RFC publication. Right?

>>7.2 Registration of New Properties
>>
>>   This section defines procedures by which new properties or enumerated
>>   property values for the MIME Calendaring and Scheduling Content Type
>>   can be registered with the IANA. Non-IANA properties can be used by
>>   bilateral agreement, provided the associated properties names follow
>>   the "X-" convention.

Just want to make sure that this registration process hasn't been dumped.
Thanks.

-- Frank

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:46:05 +0100

>process that doesn't require RFC publication. Right?

You know this better than me.

Point is though that regardless of how the registrations are done, X- 
should NEVER be registered. The whole idea behind X- is that one can 
safely use those names in private applications as one know that they 
will NEVER be official in any way.

   paf