Subject: Re: Odd multipart usage to watch out for

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:02:56 -0500

John noted for us:
>The Entourage
>message contains first the text/calendar and then the text/plain.

This is contrary to RFC 3046, Section 5.1.4 which says:

               As with "multipart/mixed", the order of body parts is
   significant.  In this case, the alternatives appear in an order of
   increasing faithfulness to the original content.

Sooo, the ordering should have been:

multipart/alternative
        text/plain
        text/calendar

but I guess that the folks who coded Entourage didnt bother to read the specs fully before they coded their MIME engine. 
 The MSFT family of products seem to to like throwing wrenchs into our 
interop testing (sic: CalConnect I and mulitparts in general).

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...