Subject: Re: MS Outlook

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:33:48 +0000

Andrew, I don't know of any other list that handles these questions, so 
this list is as good as any.  However, what your question looks like is a 
specific problem with a specific vendor's implementation of iCalendar. I 
would direct the question to them as well.  Posting it on this list may 
help you find "users" who have seen the problem or "vendors" who have seen 
it as part of their interoperability testing.
___________________
Patricia Egen Consulting
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

Andrew Proud <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
02/08/01 09:04 PM

        To:     [email-masked]
        cc: 
        Subject:        MS Outlook

Hi
Firstly can I ask if there is a separate mailing group
for problems people are encountering during projects
that make use of I/VCalendar files ? I realise this
list is probably not the correct forum for my problem.

The Problem.

When Double clicking on a 'Multi Event' .ics file
after a standard MS Office 2000 install only 1 of the
events is imported into the Calendar. However when
performing 'File-Import' from the menu all events are
imported correctly.

Does anybody know if there is a fix for this ?
Is it a bug ?

All help will be greatfully received.

Andy 

____________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.co.uk address at http://mail.yahoo.co.uk
or your free @yahoo.ie address at http://mail.yahoo.ie

---

From: srl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 13:52:21 -0500 (EST)

> it as part of their interoperability testing.

This reminds me: is there a freely-available, common set of
interoperability tests that iCalendar implementors are using to
verify that their code behaves in a standard fashion, other than the
iCalendar examples provided in the RFC?

srl
-- 
Shane R. Landrum         [email-masked] 
we generate our own light to compensate for the lack of light from above -AD
GPG public key: http://cs.smith.edu/~slandrum/srl_pgpkey.txt

---

From: "Shannon J. Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 14:50:17 -0600

This gives rise to a few thoughts:

One - Has anyone created a set of sample iCalendar files that exercise each
are of the standard? That is, an iCalendar file that implements each
property and object type, as well as perhaps exercising multiple varieties
of some of the complex properties (like the reoccurrence rules?)

Two - When testing interoperability from just a RFC2445 standpoint - what is
the methodology of that test - i.e. without implementing iTip, CAP, iMip
etc. are we simply testing that flat files can be parsed and handled by each
of our companies' software products?

Three - are there any publicly available reports from previous interop tests
that while they may not name product names, might mention the areas most
prone to interop issues? For example, I would assume that various degrees of
conformance/non-conformance/non-implementation of reoccurrence rules are a
major area of problems.

Four - Do the tests also include tests for LACK of information - that is, is
there a minimum amount of information needed to be present in a given
iCalendar, or iCalendar object for applications to recognize and deal with
it.

Five - Methodology to test the generation of iCalendar objects, to take a
simple example - do applications correctly handle data entries that have
content that could potentially itself be parsed by iCalendar applications.
Do all applications correctly close out and end each object - to look at an
issue facing other standards bodies, HTML generated by many applications
does not close all tags, resulting in potentially unforeseen results when
various applications try to parse it.

Shannon

Shannon J. Clark
CEO - JigZaw, Inc
1.800.4.JIGZAW (454.4929)
[email-masked]
www.jigzaw.com

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of srl
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 12:52 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Interoperability tests (was Re: MS Outlook)

srl