Subject: Re: Updates to appointments

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:51:10 -0500

John replied:
>> If the event was created by importing an Icalendar
>> file, there will be a unique ID. If a new event was
>> sent with the same ID, could this not update the
>> original event ?
>
>Might.  It'd be up to the implementation.

Guess Id have to ask Andrew "What do you mean by new event?" before I 
could really answer.  If its already in the store then its not new now is 
it?  New as in the user created a new entry and somehow the UID given it 
matches?  New as in the user imported another iCalendar file and the same 
UID was used?  Assumptions tend to bite our collective behinds in the long 
run...

Andrew, could you clarify what you meant by "new event was sent"?

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:04:05 -0500

Greg suggested:
>Well the component could be updated several times, for example, if it was
>keeping track of attendees to an event - though the event itself was not
>changed.

I would hope that a system would have some way to track non-reschedule 
changes (ie: LAST-MODIFIED or DTSTAMP values from the entries).  After all 
updates that do not require rescheduling (ie: Additional ATTENDEEs, 
CONTACT info, etc) are something that all C&S systems need to live with. 
Since iMIP is inherently laggy, a decent CUA should have some way to keep 
out of order messages from mucking up their user.   Not sure how this 
promotes SKIUD but Ill keep reading.

Bruce