Subject: ToDo's and a thought

From: "Shannon J. Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:34:53 -0600

A curious thought occurred to me today while at work, does the current
standard have built in functionality to within an object store a version
history?

For example: With ToDo's - frequently there is a DueDate set - and fairly
frequently situations may cause that date to need to be changed or
modified - within the current standard is there is mechanism to capture this
change or changes and maintain it?

I know that various events can be modified - but the question is, once
modified can the previous version still be maintained as a "previous state"?
So, in the case of changing ToDo a user could be presented with the change
history of that task.

Just my 2 cents.

Shannon

Shannon J. Clark
CEO - JigZaw, Inc
1.800.4.JIGZAW (454.4929)
[email-masked]
www.jigzaw.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 17:31:59 -0600

> standard have built in functionality to within an object 

Shannon:

Good question. The iCalendar specification includes support for a to-do
object, called the VTODO component. One of the component level properties
involves maintaining change control over the object representation. This is
primarily addressed by the SEQUENCE property. The initial version is
nominally zero and autoincremented for each significant modifications.

However, maintenance of delta changes from version to version is assumed to
be something that an implementation might be designed to track. It is not
codified by the current version of the specification.

-- Frank