Subject: Change to CAP draft: SCHEMA definition removed

From: Bob Mahoney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 11:46:15 -0500

I just realized that a change to the CAP draft did not get discussed 
on the list.  The failure was mine for not remembering to post the 
question.  The essence of this change is the move of the schema 
definitions from CAP to the next revision of the iCal document. 
This was not so much as a change, as a move to a more appropriate 
document.  With apologies, here is a belated description of what was 
suggested/done:

---
The goal of CAP is to define the client server protocol for 
calendaring. This requires new iCalendar components, properties, and 
containers.  We knew this was going to happen even back when the 
iCalendar draft was being written. We made a conscious decision to 
add these updates to iCalendar later in an updated revision, when CAP 
was being written. The reason were as follows:

We felt that there was great benefit to the industry in putting a 
standards "stake in the ground" for common calendaring data elements: 
events, to-dos, alarms, timezones, and freebusy information.  These 
could be defined without defining the protocol.
We believed that we could produce the interoperability protocols 
(iTIP, iMIP) with only these common data elements and a METHOD 
property.
It was generally felt that we could not possibly get the CAP-specific 
constructs right until we were actually working on CAP.
We did not want to slow down the data definition process by trying to 
work on CAP at that time.
As the CAP draft has developed, we have created new elements of 
iCalendar.  Examples include VCAR, VQUERY, VCOMMAND. These are not 
updates to existing components, these are fundamentally new data 
elements needed for CAP.  These are the updates that were foreseen 
back when iCalendar was being written and were targeted for an 
updated revision of iCalendar.

We feel that they update iCalendar in a fundamental way rather than 
as extensions. So, would like to fold the CAP updates to iCalendar 
into a new revision of iCalendar rather than going through the 
extension process.