Subject: Guide: Protocol Requirements

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:59:25 -0500

Under "2.2 Protocol requirements" the text 

         All the other protocols depend on [ICAL], so all elements
         of a standards-based calendaring and scheduling systems
         will have to interpret [ICAL].

makes efforts like SKiCAL and CAP unusable per say because it restricts 
the protocols to RFC 2445 data only.  Our intent is not that so I propose 
the text be changed to:

         All the other protocols depend on [ICAL] or extensions to
         [ICAL], so all elements of a standards-based calendaring 
         and scheduling systems will have to interpret [ICAL] and
         extensions to [ICAL].  Since all extensions to [ICAL] must
         adhere to the rules of [ICAL] parsing of extensions should
         be possible without necessarily being able to interpret 
         the extension.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...