Subject: Re: SKICal CONTROL

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:38:11 -0500

Pär proposed:

    controlparam  = *( 
        ; the following is optional, 
        ; but MUST NOT occur more than once 
        (";" languageparam ) / (";" cnparam ) / (";" skiroleparam)

        ; It is highly RECOMMENDED that SKICal objects actually
        ; use the cnparam since some applications will not 
        ; bother to read the altrep'ed vCard.

        ; the following is optional, 
        ; and MAY occur more than once 
 
        (";" xparam) 
        ) 

2 Questions:

1: Didnt we already have a SKIROLE vs ROLE discussion a while back?  I 
didnt notice any objection to SKiCAL adding new ROLE values using the 
normal extension mechanism.  Is there some motivation for NOT reusing ROLE 
and just adding new values (and defining when they may be used)??

2: The ABNF comment talks about "altrep'ed vCard" but the ABNF has no ALTREP in it.  ALTREP is already defined in 2445 as:

4.2.1 Alternate Text Representation

   Parameter Name: ALTREP

   Purpose: To specify an alternate text representation for the property
   value.
[Snip]
     altrepparam        = "ALTREP" "=" DQUOTE uri DQUOTE

so either the comment is stale or altrepparam is missing from the ABNF. 
Which is it?

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:28:01 -0600

>     controlparam  = *(

[...]

> 1: Didnt we already have a SKIROLE vs ROLE discussion a while
> back?  I didnt notice any objection to SKiCAL adding new ROLE
> values using the normal extension mechanism.  Is there some
> motivation for NOT reusing ROLE and just adding new values (and
> defining when they may be used)??

Isn't ROLE just for ATTENDEEs? The CONTROL might not be an
ATTENDEE.

--
/=================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|Chief Scientist |================================================|
|eCal Corp.      |The Net regards censorship as damage, and routes|
[email-masked]|around it. -- John Gilmore                      |
\=================================================================/