Subject: Inherited Vicars

From: Steve Mansour <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:28:09 -0800

Hey all,

The current cap draft talks about inherited VCARs.  At one point we had
talked about getting rid of all inheritance. The issues with them come
to light when you move a calendar from one point in the calendar store
hierarchy to another -- you could accidentally give access to something
you didn't want to because the VCARs in the new tree hierarchy are
different from the old tree hierarchy.

I don't recall where we landed on this issue.  I'm going to propose that
we remove inheritance with respect to VCARs.  Please send comments if
you have any concerns about this.

-Steve

---

From: David Madeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:09:17 -0500

It's probably worth mentioning that an implementation could of course "have"
inheritance by taking the VCAR changes and applying them downward to each
object.

I agree though that you should only need to look up one set of VCAR's.
Chaining is bad.

dmadeo