Subject: Re: Focus on issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 08:59:23 -0500

Staying focused is a note we have posted often - and is often ignored.  I 
have no problem posting it often - I do have a problem when it's ignored. 
So, to all of those people who continue to drive an issue into the ground, 
unless there is a good reason (like the idea breaks the code), let us 
please try to resolve each and every issue.  We all win when this draft 
goes public.  I have posted a comment on the XML issue.  I believe we have 
reached concensus - if I don't hear back a response saying no, then it's a 
closed deal and will be posted on our Resolved Issues list that will 
appear on http://www.calsch.org.  This list should be there by the end of the week.  I am going to adopt 
a numbering scheme so we can try to keep track of the issues.  I am asking 
everyone on the list to keep to one issue per note and once again, to 
please try and keep the notes to under 3 threads.  Some of the notes get 
so long, it's dinner time before you get to the end of the thought.  And 
after four >>> indents I lose track.  How about you?

Thanks for all the dialog.  This is not intended to reduce the interest. 
It is intended to keep it focused.
___________________
Patricia Egen Consulting
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

Gary Frederick <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
03/26/02 03:14

        To:     Steve Mansour <[email-masked]>
        cc:     CalSched IETF <[email-masked]>
        Subject:        Re: Focus on issues

Thanks for posting Steve. I wish I had not asked about this group 
staying focused.

I think you are correct.

Gary

Steve Mansour wrote:
> Folks,
> 
> I'm torn on how to phrase this message.  I'll start by saying, it's
> great to see all the activity on the list. I'm glad to see everyone
> looking at the issues and posting things.  But we need to focus our
> energy and get closure on things.
> 
> One of the problems we discussed in Minneapolis is that it is difficult
> for people to keep up with all the different threads.  Speaking for
> myself... I could not keep up with every thread since December. After I
> fell a little behind, the prospect of catching up seemed too daunting,
> so I skipped many threads entirely. The problems we need to get through
> usually require a fair amount of context. If a few people chime in on
> one issue, then a few more chime in on another, and so on, we end up
> with a ton of discussion and no decision. So, the issues stay open, and
> CAP drags on.
> 
> Our proposal to address the problem involves dealing with issues one at
> a time, resolving them, then moving on to the next. This will make it
> easier to stay up-to-date on the context, and it will help force
> closure.
> 
> I realize that I have probably confused everyone by sending a ton of
> issues to the list.  I don't want to send them directly to Pat or Bob or
> the other editors, it's important that we all see them and work through
> them. But, I think they need to be collected and dealt out one at a time
> for us to deal with.  Pat volunteered to handle the issues, I'm sure
> she'll be sending out something soon :-)
> 
> At this point, we should really try to reach consensus on the XML versus
> text/icalendar issue. I'll send a separate posting on where we're at
> with that.
> 
> -Steve
>