Subject: Re: UID & RECURRENCE-ID

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 13:46:13 -0500

JP wrote:
>                  If you create a new component, a new UID will be
>created, removing any possibility of the organizer sending future
>changes.

Playing catchup on the thread here...

By "create a new component" it sounds like "create a new VEVENT".  If 
thats true then clearly a new UID is called for.  However, I suspect you 
meant you "add a new instance to a repeat set"  (ie: the METHOD:ADD of 
iTIP) or even make it a repeating instance from a singleton .  This is not 
a problem since the UID for this scenario belongs to the 'set' rather than 
to 1 single instance of the set.  This is fully described in the 2nd full 
paragraph on p112.

In reading Dougs suggested text I could mistakenly think that each 
instance of a repeating entity (ie: a repeating VEVENT) has a separate UID 
and I know he was not proposing that.  Otherwise changes to repeating 
entries is doomed to a chaotic death.   Besides we already specificly 
address the components in the Conformance section of Section 4.8.4.7 
Unique Identifier.

>                If a separate component is created with the same UID and
>containing the given RECURRENCE-ID, it would seem to violate the the UID
>spec

If you were talking about adding, say, a new VTODO with the same UID as an 
existing VEVENT then thats bad!  We never intended to have separate UID 
spaces for each component type!  This is more error prone than having a 
'unified UID space' (or some such phrase Frank used to have).  It may be 
possible for 2 CUAs to accidentally generate the same UID for different 
components but if the recommendations in Section 4.8.4.7 Unique Identifier 
are followed (see the Description in Section 4.8.4.7 Unique Identifier).

I dont know of any text we created to deal with the "What if there is a 
mismatch between component types w/the same UID?" or "Can a component be 
changed and reuse the UID?" cases (ie: You turn a VTODO into a VEVENT and 
reuse the UID).  Were you looking for something along those lines??

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...