Subject: Re: CAP Issue: Where to store METHOD info

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:35:25 -0400

>VERSION - it is the VERSION of the iCalendar wire format - not the
>properly 'values'.

This is not so.  The values are meaningless unless you can interpret them; 
and they must be interpreted in the context of a particular version.  And 
there's no way you can reconstruct the VERSION from the values.  Suppose 
version 9.0 says that, if you don't have the LOCATION property set, it 
implies that the meeting is being conducted via telepresence? (Could be a 
perfectly reasonable assumption by that time.) You get a version 1.0 
VEVENT, which doesn't specify LOCATION; you discard the VERSION; when the 
time comes, your CUA starts trying to contact the other attendees, and 
failing.

I believe the CUA MUST get the same VERSION that the CS received.

/========================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|========================================================|
|Don't anthropomorphize computers. We don't like it.     |
\========================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:00:10 -0600

John Stracke wrote:

> there's no way you can reconstruct the VERSION from the values.

You don't have to reconstruct them, you just have to make a valid
packet. If the CS does not know the data that it already deposited
into itself - it has bigger problems.

>  Suppose  version 9.0 says that, if you don't have the LOCATION property set, it 
> implies that the meeting is being conducted via telepresence?

Then when the CS gets a VERSION 9 packet it will know how
to process it. If it wishes to send out a VERSION 10 packet
it is not up to CAP to mandate it can not do that simply
because the packet arrived with VERSION 9.

> (Could be a perfectly reasonable assumption by that time.) You get a version 1.0 

I NEVER said discard it. I said CAP does not need to specify
if the CS saves the VERSION. It only needs to mandate that
the CS gets and sends valid VERSIONs.

> I believe the CUA MUST get the same VERSION that the CS received.

I believe that the CUA MUST get a valid VERSION that the CUA understands
which might not be the same - or might be the same as the CS got.

-
Doug Royer
[email-masked]
http://Royer.com/People/Doug
http://INET-Consulting.com