Subject: Re: CAP Issue: Where to store METHOD info

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:10:41 -0400

Doug wrote:

>VERSION - it is the VERSION of the iCalendar wire format - not data.

Doug, I don't think this is true.  From 2445:

>4.7.4 Version
>
>   Property Name: VERSION
>
>   Purpose: This property specifies the identifier corresponding to the
>   highest version number or the minimum and maximum range of the
>   iCalendar specification that is required in order to interpret the
>   iCalendar object.

That says to me that VERSION refers to all layers of the spec, the format 
and the data.  Suppose, in 2258, the IETF releases RFC-102245, which 
updates iCalendar with the ATMOSPHERE property, describing what type of 
atmosphere will be available at the meeting.  Kosh, a methane breather, 
sends an invitation to Fred, an oxygen breather.  Kosh's implementation 
sends "ATMOSPHERE:METHANE"; in order to interpret the iCalendar object 
correctly, Fred's implementation needs to understand RFC-102245.  (It 
could just ignore the ATMOSPHERE property, but then Fred's estate will 
probably sue the software vendor.) This means that adding the ATMOSPHERE 
property to the spec requires a new VERSION.

/=============================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer          |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.     |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.     |
|=============================================================|
|Nondeterminism may or may not mean never having to say you're|
|wrong.                                                       |
\=============================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:13:39 -0600

> Doug, I don't think this is true.  From 2445:

Let me clarify what I meant:

VERSION - it is the VERSION of the iCalendar wire format - not the properly 'values'.

So the CS MUST know the format of the object (VERSION), but it need not
be stored. And the CS and CUA MUST generate objects with the correct VERSION
on the wire. So it does not matter what version is in the STORE, it matters
what is on the wire. A CS MAY wish to store the VERSION, and the CS
is responsible for sending a correct VERSION - no matter what is in the STORE.

Agree?

-Doug