Subject: Obtaining a users freebusy data.

From: Mark Davidson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:19:25 +0100

I have been reading the CAP spec (ver 7)  and attempting to create some 
example cases
that could be used to add the use of a CAP server to a client.
I have become stuck with the problem of obtaining FREEBUSY data. I can
see several ways of resolving the problem, but am unsure which to follow.

The case is: Get todays freebusy data from calendar markcal1, where today
is 17th May 2002 in London.

1) You could create an iTip freebusy request containing a VFREEBUSY
REQUEST, and expect the server to give you an iTip reply containing a 
VFREEBUSY
object with FREEBUSY properties.

2) You could search for VFREEBUSY components that have DTSTART and DTEND
properties in the correct range.

3) You could search for VEVENT and VTODO components with DTSTART and DTEND
properties in the correct range, that are booked and not transparent.

Is the server expecting the client to store VFREEBUSY data, or is it 
calculating it
from the event data it already knows?

Thanks
 Mark Davidson

---

From: "John Stracke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:16:58 -0400

>object with FREEBUSY properties.

I think this is the correct approach, because it's the one that's likely 
to work with minimal privileges--I'm more likely to let you submit an iTIP 
request than to let you actually search my calendar.  It's also a good 
idea because you can reuse the code for anybody you can reach via 
iTIP--say, if you don't know my cap: address, but you do have my email 
address, you can send me an iMIP message.

/=================================================================\
|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer              |
[email-masked]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.         |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.         |
|=================================================================|
|Two words that inspire the same feeling of dread are synominous. |
\=================================================================/