Subject: do timezone descriptions have to be in the same document?

From: Libby Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 21:01:56 +0000 (GMT)

I'm wondering whether you have to include a vtimezone component for
each vcalendar according to RFC 2445. You can certainly point to a
TZURL:

"The optional "TZURL" property is url value that points to a published
VTIMEZONE definition. TZURL SHOULD refer to a resource that is
accessible by anyone who might need to interpret the object. This SHOULD
NOT normally be a file: URL or other URL that is not widely accessible."
(RFC 2445 4.6.5 Time Zone Component)

- so can we just point to the descriptions of VTIMEZONES we already have
in separate files?

(we have them in RDF: http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/tzd/)

thanks for any pointers, and sorry if I've missed something.

cheers

Libby

---

From: Olivier Gutknecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:57:48 +0100

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 10:01 PM, Libby Miller wrote:
> each vcalendar according to RFC 2445.

Yes, this is a 'must'. See section 4.2.19 in RFC 2445, Time zone 
identifier definition.
"An individual "VTIMEZONE" calendar component MUST be specified for 
each unique "TZID" parameter value specified in the iCalendar object."
And STANDARD and/or DAYLIGHT must also appear in the timezone 
definition, so a simple TZURL won't be enough.

Ol.

---

From: Libby Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:00:03 +0000 (GMT)

I guess I was just being picky, but could not 'specified' just be
'pointed to' using tzurl? Just a thought..

cheers Ol

Libby

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:08:39 -0500

>each vcalendar according to RFC 2445.
Yes.

>You can certainly point to a
>TZURL:
>
But the ABNF is clear that you MUST have at least one of standardc or 
daylightc.

I'm not sure why TZURL exists, actually.  Putting your timezone 
definition outside the iCalendar is a good way to get people to show up 
for the event at different times.

-- 
/================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]         |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com       |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.      |
|================================================|
|I will not buy this .signature, it is scratched.|
\================================================/

---

From: Libby Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:58:36 +0000 (GMT)

ok, thanks for the info everyone.
In an RDF context it would make sense to point to it, but I can see why
you might want to put it in the file as well.

cheers,

Libby