Subject: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-pessi-ical-isip-01.txt]

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:12:42 -0700

I just noticed this e-mail on the IETF-general list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pessi-ical-isip-01.txt
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 06:46:22 -0500
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: iCalendar SIP-Based Interoperability Protocol
	Author(s)	: P. Pessi, M. Mela
	Filename	: draft-pessi-ical-isip-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2003-3-10
	
This document, proposes a binding from the abstract iCalendar
Transport-independent Interoperability Protocol (iTIP) using Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) as transport and SIP/SIPS URIs as
addresses. This document proposes using the iTIP objects as a MIME
payload format with SIP. iTIP is an abstract transport protocol for
exchanging calendaring information between calendar systems using the
iCalendar, Internet Calendaring and Scheduling Core Object
Specification defined by RFC 2445. SIP is a application-layer
signaling protocol for creating, modifying, and terminating
multimedia sessions, retrieving user presence and sending instant
messages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pessi-ical-isip-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pessi-ical-isip-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pessi-ical-isip-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

-- 

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards

---

From: Pekka Pessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:47:39 +0200

>I just noticed this e-mail on the IETF-general list.

	I first received an automatic rejection reply, so I thought I'll
	have to send it again after cutoff period. Christmas seems to
	come twice this year.

	The document now recommends using the "text/calendar" format,
	and the examples have been converted to the iCal.

	There are a few open issues, most important I think is 

	*what to do when a recipient cannot be reached immediately?*

	If delivery falls back to some other system than SIP, e.g.,
	e-mail, what kind of addressing could be used? How a recipient
	can process and an iSIP message if it is received via non-SIP
	means?

	There is no applicability statement in the draft. Our main
	purpose here is to have off-line invitations to SIP conferences
	with standard format describing attendees and resources of SIP
	conferences.

	Unfortunately I've had no opportunity to dig in iRIP, so I
	really can't say for sure what makes iSIP radically different
	from iRIP. In my opinion, iSIP is just an alternative transport
	for iTIP with its own addresses. SIP is an existing transport,
	which propably will live and prosper on its own. iSIP is useful
	even if there is no real calendaring system available by SIP
	user-agents. It also helps to integrate the calendar and
	telephone applications in future mobile phones and PDAs.

					Pekka Pessi