Subject: Events spanning a day boundary

From: Paul Sharpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:53:41 -0800

Can anyone get me up to speed on the issues relating to models and 
implementations of events which span a day boundary?  Every user-agent 
(most recently Mozilla Calendar) I recall using doesn't seem to be able 
to handle what seems to me to be such common use case.  I guess there's 
a good reason for that?

paul

-- 
Paul Sharpe                      Tel: 619 523 0100 Fax: 619 523 0101
Russell Sharpe, Inc              mailto:[email-masked]
4993 Niagara Avenue, Suite 209   http://www.russellsharpe.com/
San Diego, CA 92107-3185         "I can write a Perl script to do that."

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:11:52 -0700

iCalendar has no such restriction. It is a vender issue.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:57:19 -0500

Paul asked on 03/17/2003 10:53:41 PM:
> implementations of events which span a day boundary? 

There are no issues in iCalendar like this.  Entries can span any length 
of time desired.

>                                                       Every user-agent 

Probably its not easy/clean/simple way to render an entry that starts at, 
say, 7:15PM today and ends at 11:30AM tomorrow in a way that wont confuse 
users (in addition to rendering other normal sized entries as well).  ("Is 
that start time 7:15 yesterday or the day before??"  "There is so much to 
try and squeeze into the UI that realestate is at a premium...") 
Eventually we may have a good example of how to do it but so far noone has 
seemed to find a solution for it.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Paul Sharpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:45:55 -0800

[email-masked] wrote:
> Probably its not easy/clean/simple way to render an entry that starts 
> at, say, 7:15PM today and ends at 11:30AM tomorrow in a way that wont 
> confuse users (in addition to rendering other normal sized entries as 
> well).  ("Is that start time 7:15 yesterday or the day before??"  "There 
> is so much to try and squeeze into the UI that realestate is at a 
> premium...")  Eventually we may have a good example of how to do it but 
> so far noone has seemed to find a solution for it.

Thanks for all of the responses, in summary:

* Not an iCalendar constraint.
* Ximian Evolution implements it and renders it pretty well.

paul