Subject: Re: Partial equality match and sort order

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:48:57 -0500

John asked on 03/10/2003:
> > Does locale sort ordering solve it? I thought that partial match
> > sorts were unspecified?
> 
> What are partial matches?

Doug does not mean partial in the sense of "some matched, some did not". 
He seems to just be taking about substring ordering (at least if you 
follow his examples).  If there is something else then I too missed it.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:44:55 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:

> Doug does not mean partial in the sense of "some matched, some did 
> not".  He seems to just be taking about substring ordering (at least 
> if you follow his examples).

Ah.  Substring ordering is definitely specified by any reasonable 
sorting rules; the CS should just stick to the ordering specified by the 
locale (assuming sorting makes it into the RFC, that is :-).

-- 
/==========================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]   |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.|
|==========================================|
|This is not a self-referential .signature.|
\==========================================/