Subject: Free Busy topic

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:00:04 -0400

Hi, I'm posting the following note from a calendaring user who is 
currently working on creating icalendar objects. He's a programmer - but 
calendaring is not his thing.  He's just recently learned about reading 
RFC's to get the rules.  He will be subscribing to the list - but in the 
mean time I thought I'd post his note.  He did not know we've had some 
debate on the list about free busy.  I thought it would be a good thing to 
post his note - because this is a user who understands what a calendaring 
object can do.  He has supported email and calendar systems most of this 
career.  He gets it - and since we see lots of stuff on the list from 
vendors and not from users - this might be helpful.

Here's his note = somewhat cyptic - but I think you'll get the gist.

"This actually was sent to me today (vendor name filed off to protect their
miserable hides):

We are trying to arrange a conference call with the vendor development
staff for sometime this week.

They have a copy of your questions, and when we can arrange for the
call, I am sure they will discuss them.

I sent them a series of times that were available where everyone could
be on the call, I will check with them this morning and see if they
have agreed on a time.

(this is Tim's question for the list below)

The next challenge for calendaring and scheduling? I'm sure you guys have
free/busy time in the standards - but is there ongoing work about having
that data permeate the "cell membrane" of the organization without pubicly
publishing other calendar data?

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:11:16 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> I'm sure you guys have

That can be done with iTIP, right? A VFREEBUSY request comes in, and the 
CUA or CS can decide what to do about it.

-- 
/============================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]                     |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com                   |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.                  |
|============================================================|
|"Chris is the most self-effacing guy I know." "Well, I'm not|
|*that* good at it."                                         |
\============================================================/

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:52:37 -0600

> publishing other calendar data?

Using iMIP - The feature already exists.

Using CAP - Yes. Using VCARs allow a CUA to fetch the VFREEBUSY
             time. And using VCARs the other components can be
             restricted (or allowed) as the owner sees fit.

-- 

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards