Subject: Re: free-busy QUERY - summary (I think)

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:31:32 -0600

Thanks Craig for forcing us to rethink and rehash this point.

I think the following could be accepted by all:

    In order to be 100% compatible with all existing iTIP objects
    in CAP.

    The CUA MUST send all VFREEBUSY objects "as is" to the CS.

    Use existing CMD:CREATE to store VFREEBUSY objects.

    Use SEARCH STATE() = 'BOOKED' to get the dynamic results.

    Use SEARCH STATE() = 'UNPROCESSED' to get the raw iTIP objects.
    Or do a METHOD:REQUEST requesting the METHOD:REPLY as the reply
    (see below for more on this)

I think the following is still unspecified so I propose
the following VFREEBUSY changes to CAP:

   For a CS that has EXPAND-RECUR=true:

      - Only REQUEST and REPLY have any meaning. PUBLISH
        is useless.

      - What happens when such a CS gets a VFREEBUSY PUBLISH?
        Does the CS say thanks, success, then throw it away?
        Or is it an error?

        I would say success then throw it away.

      - Does the CS reply to a CMD:CREATE/METHOD:REQUST
        with a CMD:REPLY/METHOD:REPLY as the VREPLY saving
        the extra round trip?

          If yes, I think we need to be able to turn that
          off for CUA-BOTs that deposit only.

          So how about we use the EXPAND parameter in the
          CMD property, if 'true', return the METHOD:REPLY
          VFREEBUSY in the VREPLY. And if 'false', do not,
          just a VREPLY with no VFREEBUSY.

        I like the idea of allowing the REPLY to come back
        in the VREPLY. And I think we need the EXPAND=true/false
        to turn it on/off.

   For a CS that has EXPAND-RECUR=false.

      - Automatic creation of VFREEBUSY status is not possible.

      - So a CUA MUST send a PUBLISH to such a CS. If none has
        been saved, only an empty VFREEBUSY can ever be returned.

      - Mandate that such a CS calculates the BOOKED VFREEBUSY
        from the PUBLISHed components that are saved.

      - Also allow the EXPAND=true/false when creating a REQUEST.

-- 

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards