Subject: RE: Does anyone still think that RECURRENCE-ID's do NOT change?

From: Satya Vempati <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:17:50 -0700

That is what Bruce Kahn had said all along. But somewhere along the thread
you were also saying (along with Doug) that if there is jump in SEQUENCE
numbers (by more than one), CUA is expected to do a REFRESH.

It still would be beneficial to settle on sequence numbering scheme for
recurring events (master and individual instances).

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Fair [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 10:02 AM
To: Satya Vempati; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Does anyone still think that RECURRENCE-ID's do NOT change?

Doh!

I'm totally wrong about the CUAs needing to know if they missed
something.  I got distracted by all the talk prior about instances
and realized that this is actually in reference to the base event.

Since this is about the base event and not an instance, SEQUENCE
jumps don't matter as the most recent information is always the
most up to date.  It's only when the CUA receives information
about an instance which indicates that it might have missed
something about the base event that it sends a REFRESH..

> Suppose the base set is UID:1, SEQ:0
> We reschedule an instance: UID:1, RID:x, SEQ:1
> We modify/reschedule the instance 49 times: UID:1, RID:x, SEQ:50
(attendee
> A is invited to this instance alone)
...
> If the SEQ:0 changes to SEQ:51

Then the CUA updates to 51, uses the info contained
within and goes on its merry way regardless of what other
prior SEQUENCE numbers it may or may not have seen.
No REFRESH is needed at all because it has seen the latest
and greatest info.

-- Michael --

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:55:27 -0600

> numbers (by more than one), CUA is expected to do a REFRESH.

Well - only for instances updates. For full objects it is not needed
as they are self contained instance patterns. For instance updates the
ATTENDEE CUA would not know what was being updated unless they knew for sure
they had the instance that was being updated. And the only way
to be sure if they get an instance update that is 2 or more
newer than what they have - is to ask the ORGANIZER via a REFRESH.

So I think we agree.

> recurring events (master and individual instances).

The SEQUENCE number is bumped in by the ORGANIZER when any of the mandatory
objects defended in iCAL/iTIP change. Plus when ever the ORGANIZER deems a
change will jeopardize the validity of the participation status of the
effected ATTENDEEs.

Then the ORGANIZER sends that information to the effected ATTENDEEs.
What's missing?

-- 

  Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
  -------------------------------|-----------------------------
  [email-masked]                 | Office: (208)612-INET
  http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                                 |   Cell: (208)520-4044

                 We Do Standards - You Need Standards