Subject: List quoting and content?

From: Tim Hare <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:25:05 -0400

re: quoting -  Is it possible to remove quotations before receiving items 
from the mailing list? If I want to see what someone said previously I can 
go to the archives by thread (which is how I am having to catch up after a 
10 days travelling to/from a conference where I didn't have time to read 
the mailing list).

[gentle reminder]
re: content - I've seen some posts discussing writing iTIP to conform to 
current practices of major vendors. While I can appreciate that we don't 
want to vary too far from those (otherwise the vendors won't implement what 
is needed), as a person that is also an eventual  user/consumer of 
iCal/iTIP I think we should focus on making the protocols operate well, 
rather than operate as close as possible to current practice. In theory, 
the two should be nearly congruent, but when they're not, I think it's the 
responsibility of the Working Group to weigh in on the side of what will 
work well.  When the standards work is done - and I know it is hard work 
for all of you and I applaud you for that - if the protocols work well the 
products will work well, and people will buy them. If the products are 
hampered by the protocols, some or all  of the following things will happen:

A) The products will not work very well, and sales will suffer
B) Vendors will implement proprietary protocols, and we will be stuck where 
we were before, with calendar products which don't inter-operate.
C) Someone in the open-source community will develop a one-team standard 
which gets adopted because it _works_ and there will be _no_ sales.

So - let's not lose sight of the interoperability goal, or we will all lose.
[gentle reminder]