Subject: No active 2445 author is a big problem

From: Mark Swanson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:08:12 -0400

Hello,

Perhaps I don't understand the process well enough, but...

I'm surprised that the IETF would let a document on the standards track exist 
without at least one participating author (or someone with a maintainership 
role). It would seem that an author/maintainer could rule on 2445 
inconsistencies, 2445 would be fixed, and people could move on. 

Over the years some major problems have been identified with 2445 yet no new 
document with the proposed fixes has emerged - even when unanimous acceptance 
(with zero dissent) occurs wrt the proposed fix.

I'm hoping I am misunderstanding something because it would seem this issue 
will prevent 2445 from ever becoming a standard.

Thanks.

-- 
Schedule your world with ScheduleWorld.com
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/
Java Web start (JNLP):
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/sw/ScheduleWorld.jnlp

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 14:15:38 -0400

>inconsistencies, 2445 would be fixed, and people could move on. 
No.  Authors have no authority.  It's up to the working group to rule on 
inconsistencies.

-- 
/===========================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]                    |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com                  |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.                 |
|===========================================================|
|A computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake without|
|mustard.                                                   |
\===========================================================/