Subject: Re: When to publish -12 - VFREEBUSY

From: "Craig Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:05:56 -0700

Doug responded:
 
> CJohnson Wrote
>> !!! The WG standard for making a request for free-busy time is with

>> the VFREEBUSY object. !!!  RFC 2445, p. 58:
>
>It does and in -exactlyt- the same way - by the CUA and we added by
the CS.

I wish Doug were correct.  But CAP-12e has no provision that permits 
the CUA to make a free-busy request using the VFREEBUSY component 
and get a direct response.
 
* It's not in Section 10.12.1.  That section attempts to define how to
get 
    VFREEBUSY components using a VQUERY.
 
* It's not done using iTIP (CMD:CREATE, METHOD:REQUEST).  All [iTIP] 
    messages are deposited in the CS in the UNPROCESSED state.  The CUA

    simply gets a "success" response.  (Section 10.4).
 
Once again, I assert:
CAP does not support this WG's established definition (standard) for 
requesting free-busy information using the VFREEBUSY component ... 
specifically, in a real-time direct request/response CAP exchange.
 
This point was made in a previous discussion thread which, after
some give-and-take, eventually concurred on the issue. Consequently, 
we thought this would be accomodated in CAP-12; but, for reasons 
unknown it didn't show up.  A solution has been proposed several
times.
 
What criteria has this issue not met to be incorporated into CAP? 
What
objections can there be for CAP to conform with and facilitate this
WG's 
own standards?
 
C Johnson

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:37:01 -0700

> and get a direct response.

Nor does iTIP - it has to be processed by the CUA - correct?
Currently the only way to send a message is iMIP, that does not
generate an auto reply unless your MTA has a CUA built into it.

> — It's not in Section 10.12.1. That section attempts to define how to get
> — It's not done using iTIP (CMD:CREATE, METHOD:REQUEST). All [iTIP]

Which is exactly how iMIP does it to your mailbox to later be
processed by your CUA - correct?

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                               |   Cell: (208)520-4044

               We Do Standards - You Need Standards