Subject: RFC2445/RFC2446: SEQUENCE property

From: "Shriram V" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:58:06 +0530

Hi all,

I have a doubt related to SEQUENCE property.

Can recurrence instances of a vevent component have a 
larger(or different) SEQUENCE when the main vevent 
component (that describes the recurrence set) has a 
smaller SEQUENCE?
or
Is SEQUENCE property for a vevent component 
different than the SEQUENCE property of an individual 
vevent recurrence instance? If they are different, how are 
they related?

For example an instance update might change only the 
SEQUENCE of the instance, whereas the main vevent 
does not change.

Please comment.

Regards,
Shriram V.

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:06:59 -0700

>component (that describes the recurrence set) has a 
If you have:

    VEVENT:  UID:1, SEQUENCE:6 (NO RECURRENCE-ID)

Then you get a:

    VEVENT: UID:1, SEQUENCE:7 (With a RECURENCE-ID)

    then you are being told that the new SEQUENCE number is 7
    and that exactly one instance has been updated with the details
    in the new object. Now the main vevent is also at 7.

If you have:

    VEVENT:  UID:1, SEQUENCE:6 (NO RECURRENCE-ID)

Then you get a:

    VEVENT: UID:1, SEQUENCE:5 (With a RECURENCE-ID)

    It is an old object, toss it.

>SEQUENCE of the instance, whereas the main vevent 
See section 4.4.2 of iTIP.  You update the main vevent, increment its 
sequence.
Then if there is just one instance update, you can choose to send out an 
update
that specifies just that change.

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                               |   Cell: (208)520-4044

               We Do Standards - You Need Standards