Subject: How to handle out-of-sequence ADDs.

From: "Shriram V" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:01:55 +0530

Hi all,

I want to know how out of sequence ADD messages is handled.

Suppose that a user has an event with SEQ #1 in his store.
Now if ADD with SEQ#3 comes up, what should be done?
Since the received SEQ# > current SEQ#, this is a more recent ADD. 

At this point if I accept ADD#3 as update, the SEQ# of the event in my calendar would increase to #3.
Next when older ADD#2 (or any other method) arrives, it will be rejected, since SEQ# < current SEQ#.

In effect, user's version of vevent, although indicates the most recent SEQ#, is not up-to-date.
How does iTIP handle this? Or am I missing something?

Please comment!

Regards,
Shriram V.

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:41:51 -0700

> How does iTIP handle this? Or am I missing something?

Per iTIP:

REFRESH A request is sent to an "Organizer" by an
                   "Attendee" asking for the latest version of an
                   event to be resent to the requester.

and:

   The "UID" must be that of the existing event. If the "UID" property
   value in the "ADD" is not found on the recipient's calendar, then the
   recipient SHOULD send a "REFRESH" to the "Organizer" in order to be
   updated with the latest version of the "VEVENT".  If an "Attendee"
   implementation does not support the "ADD" method it should respond
   with a "REQUEST-STATUS" value of 3.14 and ask for a "REFRESH".

In effect the recipient does not have the current UID object, so send a 
REFRESH
to get the latest copy. What is received should be #3 or bigger.

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   |    Fax: (866)594-8574
                               |   Cell: (208)520-4044

               We Do Standards - You Need Standards