Subject: CAP-12: Stored queries STILL in?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:13:47 -0500

In rescanning CAP-12 for changes I see that the editors have not removed 
all vestiges of stored queries from CAP 1.0.  There is still text on 
QUERYID (8.27 QUERYID property) and several examples that use QUERYID. 
These should be removed for CAP 1.0 and be just part of any CAP followon 
that describes a stored query mechanism.

In addition VQUERYs are still part of the object model in Section 3.2 
Calendar Store Object Model.  This too should be removed and proposed in 
the followon work.

Otherwise CAP 1.0 will implicitly, if not explicitly, mandate that a CS 
MUST support stored VQUERYs which is not a reasonable requirement as we've 
covered ad naseum over the past 2 years.  I propose that the QUERYID 
section be removed, the VQUERYs be removed from the model diagram (pp 20 & 
21) and that QUERYID be removed from all examples.  All the text can be 
moved to any followon work that stored query proponents want to propose 
for consideration.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:10:19 -0700

As you know Bruce, stored queries have been in CAP since -00 and
there has been no consensus called to remove them. The ability
to support PDA's and low memory devices was in the CAP requirements
specificaiton that was the reason they were created.

It has been requested by you as you put it 'ad naseum over the past 2 
years.'
and we all know you do not want them.

I have also checked the bugzilla database, no such action items exist.

[email-masked] wrote:

>
> In rescanning CAP-12 for changes I see that the editors have not 
> removed all vestiges of stored queries from CAP 1.0.  There is still 
> text on QUERYID (8.27 QUERYID property) and several examples that use 
> QUERYID.  These should be removed for CAP 1.0 and be just part of any 
> CAP followon that describes a stored query mechanism.
>
> Calendar Store Object Model.  This too should be removed and proposed 
> in the followon work.
>
> Otherwise CAP 1.0 will implicitly, if not explicitly, mandate that a 
> CS MUST support stored VQUERYs which is not a reasonable requirement 
> as we've covered ad naseum over the past 2 years.  I propose that the 
> QUERYID section be removed, the VQUERYs be removed from the model 
> diagram (pp 20 & 21) and that QUERYID be removed from all examples. 
>  All the text can be moved to any followon work that stored query 
> proponents want to propose for consideration.
>
> Bruce

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   | Fax: (866)594-8574
                               | Cell: (208)520-4044

              We Do Standards - You Need Standards