Subject: Errors in RRULE examples in RFC2445?

From: "Shriram V" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:13:06 +0530

Hi all,

Is this an error in the RRULE examples in RFC 2445, in section 4.8.5.4?

I have found that two of the rules in the RFC include the last occurrence,
even though it occurs later than the UNTIL date-time.

I tried searching though the mailing list archives, but could not find any
previous postings on these errors.

=======
[Page 119]
Everyday in January, for 3 years:

     DTSTART;TZID=US-Eastern:19980101T090000
     RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;UNTIL=20000131T090000Z;
      BYMONTH=1;BYDAY=SU,MO,TU,WE,TH,FR,SA
     or
     RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;UNTIL=20000131T090000Z;BYMONTH=1

     ==> (1998 9:00 AM EDT)January 1-31
         (1999 9:00 AM EDT)January 1-31
         (2000 9:00 AM EDT)January 1-31
=======

1. It should be EST instead of EDT? (A typo?)
2. Last occurrence (2000 09:00 Jan 31) should not be included.

The last occurrence is on (2000 09:00 EST Jan 31)
which is equivalent to    (2000 14:00 UTC Jan 31).

This is definitely later than UNTIL (2000 09:00 UTC Jan 31),
so should be excluded.

=======
[Page 125]
Every 3 hours from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM on a specific day:

     DTSTART;TZID=US-Eastern:19970902T090000
     RRULE:FREQ=HOURLY;INTERVAL=3;UNTIL=19970902T170000Z

     ==> (September 2, 1997 EDT)09:00,12:00,15:00
=======

1. Again last occurrence (1997 15:00 PM Sep 2) should not be included.

The last occurrence is on (1997 15:00 EDT Sep 2)
which is equivalent to    (1997 19:00 UTC Sep 2).

This is definitely later than UNTIL (1997 17:00 UTC Sep 2),
so should be excluded.

Somebody please comment.
Let me know if my interpretation is correct or not?

Thanks,
Shriram.

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:57:52 -0700

I added a bug to track this. (BUG #573)

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   | Fax: (866)594-8574
                               | Cell: (208)520-4044

              We Do Standards - You Need Standards