Subject: Re: [Ietf-calsify] Re: Question about attachment

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:48:34 -0700

Michiel van Leeuwen wrote:
> Doug Royer wrote:
> 
>>
>> Remember. Import and Export are not iCal concepts. And storing
>> ICS files with-OUT their MIME headers is also NOT an iCal concept.
>>
>> iCal is a MIME format. So export your iCal MIME object with
>> the CID attachments intact. And make sure your iCal import
>> tools know how to read the iCal MIME objects.
> 
> 
> Then why does rfc2445 say:
>    This memo is formatted as a registration for a MIME media type per
>    [RFC 2048]. However, the format in this memo is equally applicable
>    for use outside of a MIME message content type.
> 
> iCalendar is applicable ouside the mime world. 

It does not however say that ripping out the 2/3 or more of the
original MIME object is the equivalent object.

Which is in effect what the poster said when they wanted to
take just the ICS part of the MIME object and disregard the reset 
(attachments) of iCal MIME object.

The poster indirectly said they wanted to covert the CIDs to inline
and throw away the filenames.

If you want to keep ALL of the data, then keep all of the data.

 > (look at apple ical, icalx.com, icalshare.com etc).

I do not think they support CID attachments, so they are not
tossing the file names.

-- 

Doug Royer                     | http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------

               We Do Standards - You Need Standards